Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 7th March 2007, 09:52 AM   #1
LooseClu

Default Corpus gets a new (old) launch

About a dozen years ago I retired to Corpus Christi in search of wind and warmth (in that order). Back then there was a locals only launch called Grassy Point on the mainland side of the Laguna Madre in Corpus… it became my second home. In 2002 a developer bought the rundown marina that blocked entrance to that launch. After resenting that developer for the past five years, I now am happy to report the launch will officially reopen on April 1. Bluffs Landing Marina no longer looks like a place out of a Steinbeck novel and Grassy Point has also been vastly improved. It was called Grassy because of the abundant supply of seaweed- the only green on the point itself were a few really hardy weeds. The improved launch has been planted with grass, the Marina totally recreated, and they have even put a fresh water shower next to the rigging area for us. The Marina includes a new motel, restaurant, bait shop/office and present plans call for the addition of a shade structure at the end of the grassy area and a ‘Tiki bar’ outdoor bar on the adjacent point. This is not a public facility (its too nice) and there is an annual membership fee for windsurfing of $70, daily visitors are $4 a day and access is free if you stay in the motel. The fee is reasonable for locals, especially those who had sailed there since 1980 and know how good it was (once you left shore). Now the shore has been upgraded from the home of derelicts, hulks and late night parties into a very upscale marine business complex. Grassy Point is back and with the added amenities; I won’t mind paying for that. A friend has put some photos of the launch area up on the web at
http://www.debcar.com/Story-BluffsLanding.htm
The marina also has a web page
www.bluffslandingmarina.com
which should have a windsurfing portion added soon. If you are in town before April, you can check it out free- just check in with the office before you go out to the launch parking area.

LooseClu
LooseClu is offline   Reply With Quote