Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12th March 2007, 04:50 AM   #1
Foulweather Jack

Default Board/sail combo for gusty flat water sailing

Most of my sailing is done in 8 to 12 knots of wind on a small saltwater river on the coast of Georgia. In these light airs (typically in summer), I use a formula board and a Maui Sails MS2 (10.0 meters).

In spring and fall, however, we tend to get northeasters with very gusty winds, made more so by the trees on the shoreline causing eddies of wind. Typically these fronts have winds of 15 to 25 winds, and these conditions are too much for my formula board (Kevin Pritchard I am not).

3 or 4 years ago, I bought a Hypersonic 105, thinking that this would work well for those conditions, but I found that the Hypersonic was too small for these very gusty, on and off again types of wind that I typically get with these fronts. I could never get planing consistently. Just when I was loaded up, on a plane, and in the straps, the wind would die, and I would be flat on by back, waterstarting again.

What board/sail combination would you recommend for these combinations? I'm 44 years old, 75kg, with advanced (but not expert) skills and 30 years of experience. Most of my sailing is BAF, but I do need a board with a large enough fin to drive upwind because the tides are strong enough here that if the wind and tide are the same direction, it can be difficult to get back home.
Foulweather Jack is offline   Reply With Quote