Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 30th March 2007, 03:07 PM   #1
Pacs

Send a message via MSN to Pacs Send a message via Yahoo to Pacs
Default FE160 + stock fin -> Spin-out

Hello,

We are a nice new Formula Experience fleet from Galicia-Spain. The crew is composed by youths, weekend sailors (like me) and mainly for several skilled FWers that are remarking some issues from stock Drake fin.

Here we have an abstract/questions from the creew:

----------------------------------------------------------------
General remarks:
- With 20 knots and more + 10m sail, board Spin-out frequently even downwind.
- With soft winds it does often spin-ot upwind.
- The spin-out is corrected easily when it happens.

Improving the fin performance:
- To sand the fin (the whole surface with a very thin sandpaper) ¿legal?.
- To give it rake backwards (over screewing 2mm in the fin base at back screew). ¿legal?

Recommendations to avoid the spin-out:
1. Flat the board.
2. More pressure in front leg.
3. Displace weight far from tail (towards noose)
4. Sand the fin. ¿legal?

Conclusions on the stock fin:
- Very soft-> Problems of control with strong winds.
- Few surface-> Favors the Spin-out.

Skill of sailing advised with strong wind:
- To do less pressure in the fin and more in the mast foot.
- To take the weight forwards.

----------------------------------------------------------------

We will apreciate any comments, help, experience, etc. Trimming data, sailing stance would be apreciated too.

We need also some tips about Severne Overdrive 10m and 11m: Downhaul and spacers use.

Thanks too much

Paco

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2007, 05:15 PM   #2
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Default RE: FE160 + stock fin -> Spin-out

Hi Paco,

Nice to heard that their is a good fleat in Spain, hope to see you at the FE Worlds.

Here we are 45 in FE and yes if you compare to FW equipment the fin is more sensitive for 2 reasons : The board is more heavy compare to the FW boards and the fin is softer.

But after training all riders founf their good trim from 45 kgs to 90 kgs.

You have to be more soft on your legs and let the board get lift to accelerate.

To increase fins performances, you can send it with 800 water sand parper minimum. If you still have the problems you can play with the mast base position from the back to the middle. All of us we are in this range, more you are light more you put in the middle. But if you have a good technique the best position is in the back. I have to mesure to be more precise. I will give this info soon.

Change the rake : Their is nothing in the rules about this, on use stock fins. But if you take time for trim, you don't need to do this.

Are you talking about the Overdrive R2 or R1?

All the best

To control your board in strong wind, just put your mast base more forward, that will resolve the problems, but over the middle.

FE is more sensitive in trim compare to FW. So excellent school for FW.

Can answer if you have any questions on this following boards :

Carve 111, 121, 131, 141, 151 & 161
Futura 93, 101, 111, 121, 131 & 141.
iSonic 80, 87, 90, 97, 107, 110, 117 & 130
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

UltraSonic 147
Formula Experience One Design
Phantom Race 377 & 377 L / 320

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :

Racing Serinity Cat Concept
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2007, 05:18 PM   #3
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

To control your board in strong wind, just put your mast base more forward, that will resolve the problems, but NOT over the middle.

UltraSonic 147

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :

Old 30th March 2007, 07:22 PM   #4
Pacs

Hello Remi,

Thanks for your fantastic help. Your answers can help us too much.

We will put "hands on" trying your settings.

About Overdrive:

We have a mix of models: 2006 10m, 2007 11m, and some 11m R2s.

Some (80kg and so skilled) guys feel 11m r2 too powerfull with 15-16 knots. He downhaul a bit more than specs for sail depower.

11m R2 sailors are using 1 spacer on 3 cams, even 2 on the middle one, to strech sleeve and move profile forward.

Personally i use a 2006 10m Overdrive without spacers, because cambers dont rotate as well i desire and spacers (i think) dont help with cambers rotation problems.

I allways downhaul 1-2 cms more than specs.
-----------------------------

One question more: THE BOOM!

¿What about the boom?

Personally i think my FE160_Overdrive+alloyboom is like a Sport_Car+bike_tires... but some of us are happy with Nautix boom.

What boom you suggest for big (+80kg) guy with 11m sail?
-----------

Well, maybe im asking too much things at time...

Cheers,

Paco

PD: We dont know is some of us want/can/may/shall go to FE Worlds... but take for sure most of us dream to win a lotto prize... and fly to sunny Maritica... ;-)

Old 30th March 2007, 08:28 PM   #5
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi Paco,

I have the Overdrive R2 11m², but don't use it over 20 knots yet. So until now don't to put more downhaul. But their is alos difference between base extension, with the Severne one is perfect.

For the boom, am using the the FE Nautix boom, but I made a modification in the sail to make the boom as stiffer as a carbone one. I do a hole in the sail a put a rope who join both aprt of the boom, this make a huge difference. First the boom is stiffer, second this make the sail extremely easy in gust.

The FE Worlds will be in Estonia this year second week of august. Hope to see many of you guys at this event.

All the best

UltraSonic 147

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :

Old 31st March 2007, 04:23 PM   #6
barks

Quote:
Remi wrote:For the boom, am using the the FE Nautix boom, but I made a modification in the sail to make the boom as stiffer as a carbone one. I do a hole in the sail a put a rope who join both aprt of the boom, this make a huge difference. First the boom is stiffer, second this make the sail extremely easy in gust.
Are you allowed to do that within the FE rules? If that's ok then would it also be ok to wrapcarbon on boom front and tail piece (or entire boom)?
barks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2007, 06:14 PM   #7
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi Barks,

Yes you can do it, and this doesn't increase the price, who is the main goal of the class.

In the FE Class you can use only 100% aloy boom. You can check on this link all the equipment who is valid for 2007 :

http://www.formula-experience.org/

All the best

UltraSonic 147

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :

Old 2nd April 2007, 02:24 PM   #8
Pacs

Hi Remi,

Thanks too much in the name of all Galicia's Formula Experience riders....

Best wishes,

Paco

Old 2nd April 2007, 04:04 PM   #9
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi Paco,

This is the modic=fication I made in my overdrive R2 11m². This make the boom stiffer than a carbon boom with no extra cost and totaly valid for the FE Class.

I do it with a spinaker tape and a cutter. I do this also on my Overdrive R1 11m² and the durability is excellent. After on year my sail is still perfect in this aera.

All the best

UltraSonic 147

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :

Old 2nd April 2007, 06:32 PM   #10
Pacs

I had seen in the past a more complex method, that consisted of sewing a pocket, make 2 holes both sides, and inside to put a (more big than previus holes) disk with an eyelet.

Your Modificacion is simple: a hole!!!!!!

Thanks!

Paco