Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15th April 2007, 01:47 AM   #1
merryfrankster

Default Wood Deck Care and Maintenance

Aloha *b team,

I recently came into possession of a "lightly used" 2005 Evo 70 wood. From my very first time on the board, I found it everything it is advertised to be, in terms of performance. Great speed through bottom turns (or any turn). Great control and responsiveness. Amazing aerials off tiny (waist-high to chest-high) waves. Insane gliding through holes and lulls. Wow. Congratulations to the design team. If there is one thing I would fault, it is that the board seems a little slow to accelerate from a slow or standing start - it seems to want to take its time to pop onto a plane - this is particularly crucial when trying to catch a gust going out through the zone, or trying to accelerate to drop in, in light winds. I don't think it is because the board is too small for me - I am a relative lightweight at 66 kgs. Maybe there is a trick to getting the acceleration? Aside from "bear off, keep the board flat, distribute your weight evenly, pump harder?"

In any case, my real questions have to do with the wood veneer, and its care and maintenance. It looks like the clear coat/non-skid has worn off from a few (three or four) spots on the top deck, all located between the front and rear footstraps (amazing how this can happen with a board that's been used "only a few times") . The worn spots are approximately circular/oval, maybe five or seven centimeters in diameter. Not only that, but it also looks like the exposed wood has been attacked by mold/rot or even possibly termites. This does happen to anything made of untreated wood left exposed to the tropical jungle, here on the North Shore of Maui. The worn spots have NOT been eaten through entirely, however they do show some moderate tell-tale signs of infestation. They do NOT feel soft to the touch, and they do sound nice and hollow when I knock on them with my knuckles. Aside from these few spots, the rest of the deck looks perfectly fine.

The basic question is, what kind of repair (if any) should I perform to ensure the structural integrity and durability of the board?

In more detail, has anyone else in tropical locations reported this kind of condition? Is the board at risk of taking on water through tiny cracks or pinholes in the worn/infested spots, or do the underlying synthetic materials ensure an impermeable seal? If there is the possibility that water has already seeped in, would it be advisable to cut out the worn spots and then core out and replace any weakened foam? Or would it be sufficient to just sand thoroughly, re-coat/re-varnish and call it good? Is there any specific course recommended to prevent the spread/recurrence of this kind of infestation?

Thanks for your reply, I hope I won't need to take the board to the exterminator's/pest control unit for treatment.

Frank.
merryfrankster is offline   Reply With Quote