Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 8th May 2007, 01:20 AM   #1
o2bnme

Send a message via AIM to o2bnme Send a message via Yahoo to o2bnme
Default On the water with the Gemini

So, I finally got the Gemini we ordered. It took Trident Sports two attempts to drop ship a board without it getting damaged it in the process. The first wasn't double boxed. I'm not positive this would have saved board #1 after seeing the damage. Board #2 arrived without a scratch on the box even. #1 & #2 were shipped with different carriers. I have a lot of faith in UPS Freight after the customer service I received with board #2. They contacted me the day it shipped to be sure their information was correct!

Oh, yeah, this is an on-the-water report...

The board arrived on Friday and my wife and I went to a local lake Saturday for a test run.

(1) The board is long ... 12 feet 2.5 inches. My trailer is 12 feet long internally, so the board doesn't fit in the trailer without some simple modifications.

(2) The board is heavy ... 50 pounds actually. Get the foot straps on the board regardless if you need them. By using the back straps for the forward sailor, I can hoist the board up and over my head to get it on the car myself. It reminds me of the wide Windsurfer Classics they made for the windsurf schools except those were 65 pounds. I was surprised how easy it is to carry the Gemini. You hold on to the back footstrap of the front person and the centerboard handhold.

(3) I had already sailed the Gemini with Roger last Fall, so I knew I liked it. My wife hadn't even seen one yet. She had a blast. It was her second time out for the season so she wasn't in shape for a long sail. Still, we managed to sail for 30 minutes in very light winds (so light you get tired holding the sail up).

(4) Tacking can be very funny to watch. The person in back should expect to drop his/her sail in order for the front person to get his/her sail around. Not that big of a deal, but just something to be aware of. I'm planning on learning a heli tack in order to get around this.

(5) The board is super stable. My wife only fell off once due to a wind shift. The other time she almost fell off, I managed to stabilize the board and help her recover. At one point, she crouched down and I walked around her without tipping us over.

The goal of getting the Gemini was being able to get out together. That goal was accomplished completely. We definitely didn't break any speed barriers, but for teaching someone how to sail, it is perfect.

I'll report more as we progress to planing conditions and on to harness lines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
o2bnme is offline   Reply With Quote