Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 20th August 2006, 05:39 AM   #51
matt535

Default RE: SB2007 website is online now, please post your comment here.

Quote:
steveC wrote:
You're all over this updated website, and seemingly a bit negative about things to date.
Hi steve,

I appear to be 'all over the updated website' because I the popularity has dropped significantly and there are limited visitors.

starboard previously offered a forum that differentiated from all others. Now it is just the same as all the others. I guess now all windsurfing forums are equal so the popularity will be shared across all of them.
matt535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2006, 05:40 AM   #52
matt535

By the way .. here is a decent web-based forum application ...

http://www.phpbb.com/
matt535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2006, 04:16 PM   #53
andreas

Hello Starboad-Team!

I am missing the option to view pictures of all types of a special board. When the new website went online, there has been a link to a JPG of every board. Will this feature be implemented again? I think this is very helpful when deciding to buy a new board.

Hang loose,
Andreas.
andreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2006, 04:21 PM   #54
Phill104

Things seem to be speeding up here in the UK and at last most of the images are appearing. Seem the routers of the world are begining to catch up. It's also nice to be able to go back and edit typo's

Is there any intention to show pics of the fins supplied with each board, or maybe linking each fin description to the relavent pic on the drake site?

p.s. Have you tried phpbb (I think that's a wink emoticon)

http://www.windsurf.me.uk
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2006, 05:43 PM   #55
Per

Default RE: Site

Hi..
Finally the "post reply" button appeared on my computer..

Excellent range once again

1) navigating through the board range is like going out of the shop and back again everytime you want to see a new shirt. Why not make an overwiew like t.ex JP do where you just click the small picture of the board to get the details.

2) I really don't want to sound like an old bitter grandpa, but your colours are so depressing. Like 75% black... It's ugly and not inviting at all..

;-)
Per
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2006, 12:21 AM   #56
rabbit

The only thing really missing is detailed pictures in high resolution showing the essential features of all products.

Close-ups of what the "Spiraling Vee" concept looks like on the different boards. How does the rail look on the new acids? How does the footstraps look when you get close to the stitching?

I may be an extreme case since I have 700 kilometers to the nearest surfshop, but Im guessing there are plenty of other customers, or customers to-be, that would enjoy close-up views of pretty much everything before ordering their new board over the internet from a webshop.

-peace
/rabbit

ps/ my hypersonic still kicks ass but I might need a Kombat, or maybe an Evo? /ds
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2006, 02:20 AM   #57
modigum

Default RE: Look and Feel

Your range of boards look great. Nice to see the graphics haven?t changed too much from last year?s which I loved. To put a damper on things I?m not too keen on the new site?s look and feel or approach. As a web designer I was particularly interested in your new site?s reincarnation. Comments from the general public regarding look and feel are always going to be judgmental and are based on personal opinion. So? for what its worth, here?s mine.

Look and Feel.

My first impression was disappointment.
Too dark and oppressive.
Doesn?t represent your product or your design leading ethos.
Too much homepage real estate focused on news and mood related image area.
Presumptuous: A first timer visiting your homepage would be at a loss as to what Starboard do.
No leading concept or aesthetic. Too generic and looks like a template driven site. Your previous site?s aesthetic was driven by your product?s graphics. It had a feeling of continuity and represented a full circle consistent approach. The new look and feel seems to dilute your brand and its ethos you?ve carefully built over the recent years.
Why aren?t there substantial images of your product, particularly on the product landing page? If there is anything we are all interested in seeing is hi-res product shots. The new tool tip widget is helpful but the product shots according to their sizes was great also. Has this been canned?
No strong content alignment. Padding and margins seem to be a bit all over the place.

Why re-design, why not realign?

Your product continually improves from one year to the next through tweaking and continuous R&D. If something is working it?s maintained or tweaked. This same methodology should be applied to your web site. Major sites such as Amazon, Ebay etc. never seem to change too radically, they continually tweak certain aspects of their site and if a tweak hasn?t worked they revert. I admire Starboard?s visually aesthetic, your graphics are second to none. Your industrial design and innovative thinking are always striving to be creative. I feel your new website doesn?t mirror this design lead approach. There is so much innovative emerging and compliant web technology out there which has been termed Web 2.0. I feel this redesign is a missed opportunity.

Mark-Up

I?m sure your team is being bombarded with error and bug notifications so I?m not going to list any obvious site bugs.

My queries are more related to the build approach.

Why isn?t the site aiming to be standards compliant? At least to level 1.
Why is it so dependent on tables for layout.
Why is the CSS contained within the pages source and not held externally.
Same can be said for the JavaScript.

Adhering to any of the above would help page load times.

Flash Internet Explorer bug (Click to activate control message)

Saying all that I still sent out and ordered a Kombat Woodie, so you?re doing something right ! Keep up the good work.
modigum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2006, 02:23 AM   #58
James

Website is looking a lot better, good work.

Still a couple things that don't work yet:

1) I can't scroll or adjust the size of the little windows that pop up when I "Click here for more details" on a board. Some of them are too big for my screen, so I can't see the whole board, or reach the buttons to switch between the different sizes in the range.

2) Also, as others have mentioned, it would be nice to be able to see images of all the boards in a range. That seems to be an option for some of the ranges now, like, Aero / Kombat, but not for others like iSonic. I want to see what the big 145 and 155 iSonics look like.

A less urgent matter is the photo gallery - I hope to see some more action pictures of these amazing new boards, especially the weird ones like the Serenity / Apollo / Phantom. Maybe a way for registered users to post their own starboard action shots, too.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2006, 02:40 AM   #59
James

I agree 100% with modigum about the new site...

Wish we could just have the 2006 website with the 2007 boards. I liked the happy polynesian-style border and the splashy header-picture that would change every week or so.

I really like what modigum said: "Your product continually improves from one year to the next through tweaking and continuous R&D. If something is working it's maintained or tweaked. This same methodology should be applied to your web site."
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2006, 03:58 AM   #60
Duracell

- can't access earlier versions of site (e.g. 2006, 2005 etc. actually quite important)
- can't "right mouse click and open in new tab" any board related page (which actually is quite handy)
- can't directly download cataloges (file gets saved as php even though the actual content is in a acrobatreader file (which BTW seems to be corrupt, at least when I tried it. Another little note: not everybody is constantly going (may due to restrictions in later verisons version 5 didn't yet have)
Duracell is offline   Reply With Quote