Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 23rd August 2006, 05:55 PM   #81
Duracell

Default RE: SB2007 website is online now, please post your comment here.

Don't know if already posted but: as a member when returning to website the little icons depict if a thread contains any new postings since last visit.

Well, I have the feeling that this does NOT work, or does not work properly.

On the old site my web browser indicated if I had already visited a link (ever new posting generated a new link, forum list display list of links, browser didn't know link, so it displayed it as unvisited).

New site just "remembers" that since last logged on a NEW thread was added but not if an exisiting one had new posting (that I hadn't seen yet!).

If you program something yourself, you have to learn and implement a lot of things you took for granted...
Duracell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2006, 06:28 PM   #82
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Quote:
modigum wrote:
Its a shame that all of the Starboard threads and previous URL's listed with Google are now lost. For example:
www.star-board.com/forum/starbulletin/read.asp?ID=380&t=200142574811
Modigum,

Be very happy, here is a trick :

1) delete the time stamp "&t=200142574811" of the URL
2) replace "www" with "2006" in the URL, even if the thread had been written on 24/4/2001
3) here you go : http://2006.star-board.com/forum/starbulletin/read.asp?ID=380

Now, you should be able to get back all those old precious threads you saved somewhere (I do)...

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2006, 01:23 AM   #83
steveC

I'm not sure what's going on, but everything is so painfully slow. I'm sure that you all know this, but I was wondering what your target was to bring transaction speed up to something useful and credible. Speaking for myself, all the bells and whistles are secondary to efficient transaction performance. Please, please do something about this.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2006, 04:54 AM   #84
us775

First of all... great effort on the new website. I really like the new look. I understand how hard it can be to roll out a new site of this size.

My only criticism I can offer is that it is painfully slow. Almost to the point of unusability. I think if you can get the permformce up to speed this site will continue to rock and be at the center of our sport.

Keep up the good work...

-Marc
us775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2006, 08:03 AM   #85
Racer

1) I am also having problems with the slow access to the forum pages.

2) How does the search function work? I do a search, its says x matches found, x number of pages, but no threads seen.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2006, 08:14 AM   #86
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Thanks guys.

We agree on the slowwwww factor, and agree we need to resolve it.

Our options are under review, and we had some logic in not making any panic further upgrade as this would force another round of propogation delays etc, not what most need right now .

For the record, the 2007 release went live on a new, upgraded server (which despite care did not hack the load..), an immediate upgrade was possible inside the same IP address , which we did, but hasn't solved the problem (sufficently). Of course, we had major traffic loads in week one, so we are also monitoring short term to see if the load tapers and response times improve. The answer so far, you all know.

So it looks like we're up for the next (3rd) big move.

Fasten the seatbelts..

Cheers ~ Ian

(Before any further move or planned outage, we'll give fair notice to not leave users hanging..)

(( Please check earlier posts/replies in this thread for comment etc on some of the other issues noted in recent posts above))

((( Thanks all for the feedback )))
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2006, 05:02 PM   #87
jaime

Default RE: problems with extended characteres

Hi, new site looks good, but the new forum engine has an important problem for Spanish and French posts.

Right now it does not support extended characters which are very common in Spanish and French. When you write a word with an extended character the engine replaces it with a '?' before storing the message in the database.

It's funny cause the database and the engine itself does support it as old messages that have been migrated are OK, so I would say that it is an issue related to configuration parameters.

In fact, I guess your forum engine phpBB does support extended characters as it is one of the most installed forum engines worldwide and these internalization issues shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks

--Jaime
jaime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2006, 12:03 AM   #88
dwinterbottom

Send a message via MSN to dwinterbottom
Default RE: new Board registration

The link for registering a board is no longer working, the link is sent out with all new boards. You can post it back to the Dealer for now but some people may prefer to do it online is there a new link somewhere?

Thanks
dwinterbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2006, 03:07 PM   #89
jaume

Quote:
jaime wrote:
In fact, I guess your forum engine phpBB does support extended characters as it is one of the most installed forum engines worldwide and these internalization issues shouldn't be a problem.
In fact this is not a phpbb forum, but anyway the problem is with the webserver/php/mysql charset and not the forum software. It should be UTF-8 for the accents and specials characters to appear correctly ...

trying now: ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2006, 03:10 PM   #90
jaume

Quote:
jaume wrote:trying now: ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
Seems problem is in the database server config, because when you write and preview the post, all characters appear correctly on the preview screen (so only webserver is involved), but when you submit to publish it, then the special characters turn to ??????????????????? ... so problem is in the db data storage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jaume is offline   Reply With Quote