Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 17th January 2007, 04:54 PM   #1
paulk

Default Light but Durable lightwind Cam sail - does it exist?

Hi all,
I have a 9.4 2 cam sail (Tushingham Lightning) that I baught new 1 y.ago and use it with my light-wind board. I sailed it probably 10-15 times and it has already those annoying creases-cracks-through that I have to patch with film. I am quite frustrated with the issue - I am changing the 2nd sail in 3 years, they cost fortune but they just don't hold!
IS THIS THE INDUSTRY TREND?!!! :@

Is there any durable, light and powerfull (as V8 or Lightning) sail in this range of 9.5M? Seems like EZZY Infinity is durable, but it seems VERY heavy and not quite powerfull.

Any thoughts/ideas.
Paul

P.S.: I don't leave sails baking on sun...
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 06:18 PM   #2

Default RE: Light but Durable lightwind Cam sail - does it exist?

I'll assume your getting the creases from rigging and de-rigging so a wide luff sail might eliminate that. Otherwise you could look at darcon or xply for a more durable alternative. Dont know much about that material
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 06:31 PM   #3

What country are you in?

If you're in the UK try giving Matthew a call at Demon Sails.

http://www.demonsails.co.uk/

He can make sails to your needs and there is no doubt that they are durable.

However, I have owned mant Tush sails including the 9.4 and all have been roughly treated. I've never had to tape a single one even if I have creased them by mistake. I wonder if it is something to do with their storage or rigging that is causing the problem.

Phill104
Old 17th January 2007, 08:20 PM   #4
-Lampi-

Send a message via MSN to -Lampi-

The ezzy sails do look heavy, but they use thinner monofilm between the reinforcements, so they aren't quite as heavy as it looks. Don't know about it's power i have never sailed a 9.5 infinity, did sail a 7.5 though, seemed to work nicely.

You can also have your sail repaired, but for big sizes i don't know if it's worth it, because you have to change the whole ''window'', which is big, so it costs a lot.

Hope this helps
Old 17th January 2007, 09:09 PM   #5
James

I have an 8.5 Ezzy (2004) that I love. It is quite powerful, easy handling, stable, and of course durable. It doesn't seem heavy at all to me. I got it fairly cheap used, but because it's an Ezzy it was still good as new.

I used the 10.5 Ezzy once and found it lighter than my 10.6 race sail at the time. So I think you would be fine with a 9.5 Ezzy, if you can find one.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 11:05 PM   #6
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi Paulk,

In Martinique we use this sails for the Formula Experience Class and after one year we still have no problems with that sails. Powerfull, and easy to use in gust.

All the best
http://www.severnesails.com/products/se_overdrive.asp

Can answer if you have any questions on this following boards :

Carve 111, 121, 131, 141, 151 & 161
Futura 93, 101, 111, 121, 131 & 141.
iSonic 80, 87, 90, 97, 107, 110, 117 & 130
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

UltraSonic 147
Formula Experience One Design
Phantom Race 377 & 377 L / 320
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :

Racing Serinity Cat Concept
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 03:53 PM   #7

Paulk,

I wonder if the problem has more to do with your perception of sail strength than actual sail quality. When you mention creases to you mean visible ones (that look as if the sail would have been folded), or are they actually holes in the sail?

Most sails have visible creases, and they don't fail. I think you should worry less and sail more :-)

Another remedy is to get a sail made from x-Ply. Something like the Sailworks Retro.

regards
PG
Old 18th January 2007, 09:27 PM   #8
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Paulk,
I agree with PG here.
If you want more durability, get X-ply. It's really no heavier than straight
monofilm, size for size.
The Sailworks Retro is a perfect example.
Older Retros used 6 mil (.006") thick monfilm in the larger panels, and still use that thickness in some of the small clear panels.
When the designer moved to using X-ply (due to market pressure from the number of other sail brands that began using it, not from any percieved durability issues) he found that the weight of a "composite X-ply sail film" could be reduced to the same as a single thicker piece of monofilm.
The 6 mil panels were replaced with a composite film of 2 layers of 2 mil
film bonded together over the reinforcing "x-ply" thread reinforcements, so the finished sail came out without gaining any significant weight.
The big advantage to X-ply and other reinforced composite films is that any hole that develops only affects the tiny squares (or diamonds) that they end in. Tears and cracks/creases only affect the damaged area where the reinforcements are cut/broken, and the damage does not propagate further across the entire panel of the sail.
Also the "glue layer" around the fiber reinforcements can be chemically compounded to reduce UV degradation. As a further advancement, aluminum film has been included to stop the UV degradation completely.
UV resistant single layer film is available but extremely expensive.
But I agree that you may be taping simple creases in your Tush sails that are nothing more than a cosmetic problem.
Most of us only use tape on a sail where there is an actual hole that extends all the way through the material.
The tape is there to hold the cut panel to it's original shape (as much as possible) and to prevent the tear from propagating further across the panel.
Hope this helps,
Roger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2007, 04:25 AM   #9
paulk

>>The tape is there to hold the cut panel to it's original shape (as >>much as possible) and to prevent the tear from propagating further >>across the panel.

That's exactly the problem - those creases become holes in 1-2 sessions, not years! I had the same problem both with Retro 04' (not x-ply) and now with Tush. I try to rig it without creating to many creases. And I indeed have only 3-5 on my Tush., but they already developed into holes. I keep sails at room temps.
paul
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2007, 08:22 AM   #10

Default RE: retro

Retro with x-ply is better than a perfect example. X-ply has a much better "hand".