Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 1st September 2006, 12:50 AM   #11
jmunkki

Default RE: S-Type : 104 vs 93

I'm also very happy with my S-Type 93. I haven't tried the 104.
jmunkki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2006, 03:22 AM   #12
super-jiber

Hi,
I'm french, so sorry if my english is not verry good...
I'm 75Kg and think the st-104 should be better for me than the 93l with freerace sails around 6.6.
But after having read all your posts I wonder if the 93l could'nt be good too. I have a 85l wave board, so maybe it is to closed ?
And an other question, I'm looking to the 104l because i wish i could use biger sails later, like 7m or a little bit more. But maybe I'm dreaming... I don't know.
Your help would be welcome.
Thanks
super-jiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2006, 09:33 AM   #13
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hi Guys,

Just to clarify: the sweetspot for the ST93 is blasting mode(powered/short chop) is around 5.8-6.5m (give or take a bit according to rider weight/style), but somewhat atypically, this also tends towards the upper end of the practical sail range for this particular board..
Even for a 75kg rider, 7.0m or more is getting big for ST93. Still rideable ? : yes. But ideal ? well, not really.

In my commenst above, I did not detail that the 6.4m S-2 (freemove) is also about the largest practical sail size for me for ST93 - but at the same time the ST93 really likes (and takes) being driven very hard in the right conditions.(water rough/choppy enough to hassle full race boards but still flat enough to allow ST to show its speed potential)

For Super-Jiber, with 85L waveboard and looking for ST sail range 6.6m and larger, the ST104 is going to be a better allround quiver option.

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2006, 07:55 PM   #14
super-jiber

Thanks for your reply Ian.

Do you think that the st-104 can be used in a slalom configuration, overpowered with a 7.5 and the good fin (37cm or a little bit more ?). It has the same width as the sonic 95 which is rideable with 7.7 max. And as their scoops are nearly the same...
But maybe the board will be as efficient with my 6.6. I'm not shure to plane quicker with a biger sail but I will be faster. What do you think?
Old 12th September 2006, 05:51 AM   #15
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hi Super-Jiber,

We tested the ST104 in slalom mode with 7.5 NC-X nocam freerides and it worked "OK" (probably better for lighter guys like Per at 63kg than me at 92 - and better with lighter nocams than full race sails in 7.5m). 7.5m certainly helped get the ST104 planing earlier in marginal ST104 conditions than using only 6.5m, speed comparison in marginal mode between 7.5/6.5 was pretty meaningless, but once powered, the smaller 6.5m (6.6) is going to be faster and better handling combo on ST104.

The difference ST104 to S95 is influenced by the rail shape/s : in S95 it is very hard and square/sharp, it gives the S95 (and rider) more edge to work with, which translates to more efficency, bigger sail capacity (for a given board size/width) - but also a more technical, edgy ride, especially at high speed thru chop (where the ST is just super easy fast).

For the pure racer, they usually prefer the extended range and accept the no compromise technical nature of the S95 (and similar) - for the fun or free racer, the ST delivers an easier "fast" performance at the mid to top end of the ST's range (thanks to the bevel ST rail) , but compromise a little on the early planing and maximum sail carrying - at least compared to a similar sized Sonic.

Hope this answers your question/s but please let us know if you need more info.

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2006, 06:23 AM   #16
super-jiber

Hi Ian,

Thank you verry much, verry interresting.
So it's possible to oversize the st104 and it could be a good solution in ligth wind (12-14nds) when my 6.6 don't allow me to plane during all the session.
Could you just tell me what kind of fin you have used with your NC-X 7.5 ?

Well, a last one...
Do you think a st115 would be as controlable as the st104 with my 5.4 and my 75 Kg. It will be to fat to make airjibes and some spocks, won't it?

Thanks for your patience.

cheers
Old 12th September 2006, 11:17 PM   #17
Gonzo

Hi super-jiber,

I have a ST115 and always used it down till 4.7 with no problems at all. Volcans yes, spocks no but that?s not the board?s fault

I am a little heavier though (100kg) but 5.4 will for sure be ok for your weight. With my weight at 4.7 there are already some guys on their 4.0 s on their move. So I think as long as you can handle 5.4 you can also handle the ST115. I have to say that I am not using the stock fin though. With your weight I would take something around 28-30 cm more freeride/freemove biased. I do so too and in my opinion the ST is not that much slower because of a bit swept back fin.
Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2007, 05:26 PM   #18
Terje

Hi all,

Following the advise from this topic, I finally go for a S-Type 93 (06 model).
I sailled it about 10 times now in sereral conditions ranging from flat lake to choppy sea water.

So far, I am very happy with this board, the ride is crisp and nervous but still confortable. I sail it with 6,6, 5,4 and 4,7 no cam freeride sails (I am 67kg)

The speed potential seems huge and I reach a promising 29,7kts max speed.
Jibing is fine and very quick if you go firmly in the curve. Not as easy and "autopilot" as my previous Carve.

From my point of view, the only weak point is the 28cm stock fin that I was not very happy with.
I change it for a 32cm and 26cm and got much better range with all my sails.

A great board for the freeriders that love hi speed cruising !

Terje
Terje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2007, 05:22 PM   #19

Terje,

Glad you like the 93! As you sail it some more you should find even more things that you like, and you will not think it is so nervous. Where do you have the footstaps?

DaveQ
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2007, 06:38 PM   #20
Terje

Hi Guest,

I have the straps on the outside, full back. I mostly sail the ST93 with the 6,6 (32cm fin) and the 5,4 (26cm fin). Note that I'm 67kg.

I also ride it a couple of time with the 4,7 because the wind picked up suddently, but it is not my goal with this board.
At the time, I haven' try the central strap settings.

Terje
Terje is offline   Reply With Quote