Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 15th September 2009, 03:29 PM   #1
jc4

Default Quad fcs fin problem

Hi, I've just bought a new 71 quad convertible and found that one of the fcs fin screws does not engage against the fin. That is, does not tighten and continues spinning.
It looks like the hole in the side of the fin base does not have thread, so was either stripped or drilled to large.
When the board was unpacked from shipping that screw had fallen out during transport, verified by shop where it was bought.
I'd like to know how this can be repaired and if anyone else has come across this situation.
Many thanks
Jaime
jc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 01:10 AM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

I have not seen this, but I only packed up and mounted four of them. This could surely be a warranty issue. But it has to be handled by the shop. I suppose it can also be fixed with a Permatex solution (look under product/product assistance/Repair Guide) so that you can start using the board right away. But I think you then need to first fins a longer screw that will act as a guide for moulding the nes threads. A don't know what kind of thread the fin bolt screw has, but a good hardware shop should be able to help you. Unfortunately, Tiesda, who know these things, is on the road.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 02:43 PM   #3
jc4

Thanks for the reply Ola,
I am still waiting for a response from the shop where I bought it, and will try one of your suggestions, it's lucky we have no wind at the moment.
I hadn't seen the repair guide section and am hoping the products they mention will bond with the fin box material and not the screw.
As for a long term solution I'm hoping the shop will address this problem.

Jaime
Old 16th September 2009, 04:11 PM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

There is a special release agent supplied in the Permatex package. I think there is also a special instruction on how to go about with "through" type holed in the Permatex manual. But again, be careful to choose the right type screw for the job. And speak to the shop before doing anything to ensure this will not void a future warranty.
Old 17th September 2009, 04:21 AM   #5
jc4

Hi Ola,
Again thanks, I'll let you know what the shop comes back with.
Would anyone at Starboard know what type and size of thread the screw is, metric or imp. It would make it easier to chase one up and upsize the hole.
I can see this problem being a future issue. If the metal screw is overtightened it will strip the thread in the plastic fin box.
This has got to have been a problem in surfing as these types of fins have been around for quite a while.
I have tried searching on surfing and repair websites etc but haven't been able to find anything as yet.

Jaime
Old 17th September 2009, 08:36 AM   #6
carvesalot

http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...ead_repair.htm

the Permatx product is this: Thread repair item # 765-1248 its use was discussed for footstrap holes that were stripped. I used this with, and don't think it worked so well, I used a different hole.
I would have something done under warranty.
The small screws will require additional care.

Last edited by carvesalot; 17th September 2009 at 08:42 AM.
carvesalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 10:43 AM   #7
carvesalot

http://www.star-board.com/forum/show...ap+hole+repair
Old 17th September 2009, 04:38 PM   #8
jc4

G'day carve,
Thanks for the link.
I tried Floyd's suggestion before seeing the post of inserting a sliver of rawl plug into the hole then carefully tightening the screw, it seems to tighten and engage with the fin. Not sure how it will handle the stress of sailing though, only a temporary fix for now.
As Ola suggested I won't be doing anything too elaborate until some feedback from where I purchased the board.
I'm thinking a slightly larger guage screw may be the only remedy, unless permatex or loctite bonds well with the plastic fin box.
The length of the threaded hole is approx 7mm, and the screw is about the same, so there isn't much material to bond to.

Still waiting for shop reply.

Jaime
Old 17th September 2009, 05:37 PM   #9
Ola_H
TEAM

I'm not a big fan of the Permatex idea for footstraps screw, but here, since we're in fact talking about a "real thread" I would say it has a good chance of working. The main issue, as indicated by jc4 and carvesalot, will be how well it bonds to the fin box material. But after all, the fin box as a whole is glued in the board with epoxy and there is also a good irregular surface inside the hole (ie the old thread) that will increase the chances of a good bond.

I don't think a larger guage screw is a good idea. There is not enough material around the whole to support a bigger screw, I reckon.
Old 20th September 2009, 09:24 AM   #10
carvesalot

err any update on progress ?