Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 3rd January 2011, 09:48 PM   #1
mike

Default Flare - wood vs wood/carbon

Flare - wood vs wood/carbon

What are the advantanges/ disadvantages of each. I know carbon is more $$ How do they compare in terms of:

1. durability
2. performance

I found some other threads suggesting wood is stronger, which for me would seem important as I expect to be abit hard on the board when learning new school moves.

Thanks!
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 09:01 PM   #2
agrelon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Flare - wood vs wood/carbon

What are the advantanges/ disadvantages of each. I know carbon is more $$ How do they compare in terms of:

1. durability
2. performance

I found some other threads suggesting wood is stronger, which for me would seem important as I expect to be abit hard on the board when learning new school moves.

Thanks!
Not sure how it compares to wood carbon, but I would have to say the opposite about wood. Out of all constructions I think it is probably the most fragile. I think it's pretty easy for a wood deck to get "impressions" from sharp pressures. Another thing I've heard, to consider, is that wood is difficult to repair.

Wood is already light as hell, my wood Futura 93l pops/ chophops like a champ and I'd probably see little difference with a wood carbon version, if it existed.

If you have the $$ though, get the best, at least then there are no regrets and you can't blame the board when you're getting frustrated learning new stuff

Last edited by agrelon; 6th January 2011 at 09:49 PM.
agrelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011, 10:05 PM   #3
Ken

Agrelon,

Here are my thoughts -

Carbon
1. A little lighter = more responsive, better jumping?
2. Stiffer = bumpier ride, not as smooth
3. Stronger = possibly, but when they break, it's catastrophic

Wood
1. A little heavier = less responsive, but maybe a little more control.
2. A little softer = more comfortable, smoother ride
3. Weaker = In some ways - yes, but they usually dent rather than break when they take blows and hits.

I have had 4 wood boards in the last 8+ years and none have been broken. I have dabbed on some polyurethane on some spots where the wood was showing some superficial/cosmetic cracking.

I think the carbon boards offer Pros or highly skilled sailors a small advantage, but they have to give up some comfort and control for the slight gain in performance. I think most of us mortals will get more enjoyment out of the wood boards and save some money too.

Others may have different opinions. I have had carbon boards, but not Starboard. I also treat my gear with kindness and don't do much in the way of radical sailing. Lake sailing with flat,choppy water only, no waves or big jumps.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 12:21 AM   #4
agrelon

Ken,

I think all your points are valid. I hope my Futura 93l lasts 8 years, cause she's a real keeper
Old 8th January 2011, 01:28 AM   #5
Ken

Agrelon,

The longest I have kept a wood board is 4 years. Three formula boards - 175, 147 and 160. I moved up just to get a newer, better board. I still love my 160 and have no interest in a new one since I only race a few times a year and the 160 is still a great board and in excellent condition.

My iS 111 is almost three years old and still looks as good as new. I Don't know when I will get a new one, but certainly not in the next year.

Last year, I sail my formula board 22 days and my iS 111 30 days. I record all my stats including GPS info. My other boards, another 27 days.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 12:38 AM   #6
xander

Hello,

I have a 2010 flare 88 wood carbon construction. Its a super sweet board. Its Incredibly light and responsive. Its really a beautiful board to sail. But for me its also been incredibly fragile in the nose area. Part of this is that I have a bad tendency to crash the mast first into the nose. But if I had to do it over I'd buy the slightly heavier wood version as I think it would have held up better for me and my rookie crashes. I also learned from the guy who did one my repairs that the board uses unidirectional carbon fiber in the nose. The fibers run lengthwise so upon impact the board is prone to splitting - my advice is to go for the wood unless you are a super high level freestyler.

Xander
xander is offline   Reply With Quote