Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 25th January 2011, 04:46 PM   #21
Unregistered

as i stated earlier :

was hoping longboards would be the answer !!
Old 26th January 2011, 01:40 AM   #22
keyes1

As a relatively young newcomer to the sport (which from my point of view seems quite rare these days), in an area where windsurfing is not at all popular (Canadian praries), I may have a bit of a different perspective.

I had tried windsurfing when I was very young, without much success. More than 10 years later when trying to re-enter the sport I found that trying to dig up some reasonable equipment was a pretty daunting task. In most every other sport there is a relatively cheap back door to getting in....cheap skis, cheap mountain bike, or a cheap skateboard are all very easily acquired. Sadly, there aren't really any cheap (and decent) windsurfing rigs around these days....at least where I am. Believe me...I looked. I also didn't want to outgrow some crappy setup after one season so In the end I got stuck spending about $2000 for a pretty decent setup. Unfortunately, in windsurfing, a beginner setup is not necessarily a cheap alternative. In fact, most of the cheap, used gear available these days (that hasn't been rotting away behind a lakeside cabin for 10 years) are smaller volume rigs with high wind sails. Although I was willing to do it, it's not something everybody is ready to invest just to try it out. Most people are too busy surfing the internet and buying $600 cellphones to want to plunk down the cash for the equipment and lessons needed break into windsurfing.

They also don't fit as easily into a honda civic as they did into an 85 Grand Marquis!

On another quite note...just like every semi-extreme sport, the introduction of new composite materials has skyrocketed the quality, selection and price of equipment everywhere. Expensive twin-tip skis and massive downhill mountain bikes are two very good examples. Outside of those willing to invest the cash, it's hard to keep up with the massive changes in the sports.

As a newcomer, especially one not living on the coast, I see absolutely no appeal in SUP's. If I wanted to go paddle around on a lake, I would do it in a canoe. I look at it as a way to squeeze a little more cash out of a very small market....not a revival. Young newcomers to the sport are growing up in the redbull generation....they want to get out there and rip! Unfortunately, that takes an investment of quite a bit of money and even more time to break the initial barriers you come up against when starting to windsurf. Let's face it...it's not a particularly "easy" sport.

I love it, and I promote it endlessly. In the end, for most people I talk to, it's a question of money.
keyes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2011, 01:42 AM   #23
keyes1

Just another quick question maybe someone can clear up....why do people buy longboards nowadays? (ie: what niche do they fill that can't be filled by another, more versatile board?)

If you're looking for a nice, floaty,stable rig why wouldn't someone just do what I did and get a GO? Maybe I'm confused...I don't know much about the differences between various rigs.

Last edited by keyes1; 26th January 2011 at 02:22 AM.
keyes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2011, 03:59 AM   #24
Unregistered

the new SB GO Windsurfer IS a longboard :-)

the 151 and the 171 now have center/centre "fin"

so, the GO IS slowly becoming a "longboard" :-)
Old 26th January 2011, 07:32 AM   #25
Unregistered

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyes1 View Post
Just another quick question maybe someone can clear up....why do people buy longboards nowadays? (ie: what niche do they fill that can't be filled by another, more versatile board?)

If you're looking for a nice, floaty,stable rig why wouldn't someone just do what I did and get a GO? Maybe I'm confused...I don't know much about the differences between various rigs.
Hi Keyes1,

I started windsurfing on longboard, then moved on to formula which became quite expensive over the last few years and now I'm on slalom (for speed) and freeride(for bump and jump) board.

The advantage of a longboard is that you can go higher upwind, get more time on water (TOW) and even participate in course racing. You get more TOW because you can sail it in displacement mode during light wind but it is also pretty fast when the wind picks up. Just kick up the daggerboard and pull back the mast track and you could go almost as fast as a slalom board.

The disadvantage of a longboard is that the learning curve could be longer for most people. But I guess the new generation longboards could be easier to learn. I have never sailed on a GO but it certainly looks like an easier board to learn the basics.

Post #19 may be right, longboard could be the answer to a revival to windsurfing
Old 26th January 2011, 07:41 AM   #26
Unregistered

iWish,
I dont think SB have the answer.
Big as they are, they are unlikley to have the financial muscle to compete with NP.
Whilst I dont like the muscling in, if NP (really) get behind the RS1 as a "OD" then the die is cast.
Its a bit sad for Kona and Bic Techno etc who have made a valiant effort to promote their own OD's. Perhaps more so for Bic as theirs had (I think) become the unofficial RSX "feeder"
Worse still for me is that you actually need a "feeder" OD class for the RSX.
Mistral OD was all things to all men and women (old and young)
If the RS1 goes worldwide and takes off then the problem has been solved by Neil.
No doubt the conglomerate that owns NP will be very pleased to see 1000's of RS1's and RSX's being sold.
But then the IOC will deciede we dont need windsurfing at the Olympics.
NP will go bust and Mistral will re-introduce the One Design.
Old 26th January 2011, 09:51 AM   #27
PrydeMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Partly true but dont forget an awful lot more grew up, got married etc etc and dropped out through lack of time.
Personally, I think its a shame that the Mistral One Design (or even the Windsurfer OD) didnt survive.
So simple.
OK it probably needed some updating but I dont like the muscling in by NP.
The Windsurfer One Design has survived here in Aus. We have the nationals on here now. With over 50 entrants.
PrydeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 06:59 AM   #28
Unregistered

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
But then the IOC will deciede we dont need windsurfing at the Olympics.
NP will go bust and Mistral will re-introduce the One Design.
Great prophecy!
Old 28th January 2011, 02:08 PM   #29
Darko_Z

Default Windsurfing for fun

Iím windsurfing from 1985, I donít agree that windsurfing is in decline, You are focusing to much on windsurfing competition. Only very small percentage of windsurfers participates at competitions, most people are windsurfing only for fun. If somebody primarily wants to prove that he is better then others he can do this much cheaper in other sports. Discussions how many types and competition classes are good to promote windsurfing competition are totally pointless for vast majority of windsurfers since they have no interest to compete them selves. Even more, in last few years events like Defiwind and Langebaan where you can ride all types of windsurf gear are growing in popularity. Main goal for most windsurfers on these events is to participate, socialize and have fun.

It is true that in 80ís millions of people were windsurfing, but assumption that same millions of people would still windsurfing today if manufacturers would produce same windsurf boards for 30 years is totally wrong.
Darko_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 06:34 PM   #30
Unregistered

Hey Prydeman,
Where are the results ?
Any famous "old men" still racing these?
I watched Laclan Gilbert nearly beat Stefan VandenBerg on Div 2 boards in Penang in 1984. (The Nedlloyd Cup)
Is he still sailing ?