Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 29th January 2007, 05:52 AM   #1

Default Is Starboard F-type good for me?

Hi all.

I'm a beginner after one season of renting gear at my local spot (lake, usually around 5-15 knots), mostly large boards with centerboards and ~6.5-8.0 sails (my weight: 85kg/187pound, I'm in a decent shape).
I tried F-type once last summer and it was a blast for me - even though I was on a 200 l+ centerboard thing right before this one felt very stable and it was fast!

I was offered a good deal on 148 F-type and 7.5 Gaastra Matrix (no cam) sail. (Is it a good size for starters, anyway? Can't picture myself handling a 9.0 beast at the moment, but I'm learning fast)
However, I got opinions, that on very light winds this board will be no fun (slogging <-- I read the definition, but what it really means?) and instead I should get a modern longboard (which doesn&#39;t really thrills me, but I never tried one).

I am pretty much hooked with that board (recommended by a guy from a local store over here (former FW racer and a now also a respected trainer)) but I forced myself to ask a question here before running to buy it the first day I saw it.

Also let me mention, that I&#39;m in the situation (work), when I am mostly limited to weekends, not the windy days. So I want to maximize my time on the water. Plus, I&#39;m not really into tricks and stuff, I prefer to just cruise/plane around with a decent speed, even in the light winds. And again, I was told formula-type boards may not exactly be what I want.

Please advice and thanks,

-marek
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2007, 07:19 AM   #2
James

Default RE: Is Starboard F-type good for me?

Hi Marek,

I am of the opinion that the first board you own should be one you can use and enjoy in 90% of the conditions you get at your local spot. Otherwise you won&#39;t get enough time-on-the-water to improve.

For 5-15 knots and 7.5 as your largest sail, a modern longboard or hybrid is the best choice. Something like the Starboard Phantom or the Exocet Kona would be good.

When you can afford a second board, an F-type would be fine, but first you need something that can go fast in light winds.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2007, 08:58 AM   #3
steveC

Hi marek,

While James above has offered a conservative, and probably a very pragmatic view, it would have never sustained my interest over the long run. Hanging tough on sub-planing conditions wouldn&#39;t have offered enough. Nevertheless, James has presented a reality that many face. As a result, you need to be honest about your conditions. When it comes down to it, I&#39;m really an advocate for more than a single board. Without having to develop a complex sail quiver, one can target subplaning and planing conditions with a couple of boards to start. That way, a sailor can leverage off the conditions available. A bit more expensive, but based on strategy that&#39;s founded on your realistic opportunities.

Spend premium dollars on the mainstream requirements, but allow for the possible alternatives. The mainstream doesn&#39;t have to be the lightweight alternative, especially if you understand your local conditions and your ability to participate.

Only you can truly appreciate your local conditions, yet I would highly recommend coordinating with local sailors to learn more about what&#39;s going on. Others can be your door and threshold to understanding the possible alternatives. Ideally, you want to enjoy the sport with others, so communication means quite a bit.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2007, 02:21 PM   #4
PG

Hi Marek,

I absolutely agree with James. You still seem to be early in your career, and your possibilities to go when it is windy are limited.

Get something that ALWAYS allows you to have fun on the water, be it 5 knots of 20 knots.

I do think that your first pick should be the Exocet Kona. The step-tail really works. It offers you a long efficient board in sub-planning conditions and a modern short board in planning conditions. The 7.5 m2 sail also ought to be just right (but get the one-design class sail rather than the Matrix).

Starboard does not yet (?) have a step-tail design, but the Phantom ought to provide comparable suitability.

You don&#39;t have to consider a second board before you are much more experienced.

regards
PG
PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2007, 07:32 PM   #5
crazychemical

I have a good deal of experience with longboards and i can tell you that in light iwnds, with a 7.5 m?? sail these kick the living *** out of racing boards. We own and older Fanatic 340 (3.4 meters long, 70 wide) with which, if i use my 7.6 arrow sail Craze on, even in lightwind,i can easily start working with footstraps and with my harnass. So for you that seems ideal considering you are a beginner.
Further more longboards offer you a bigger sailrange then formula boards. I also recommend the exocet Kona, the Phantom is to clumsy and would not really give you that speed edge you want. You can check out the exocet website, there is a link dedicated to the Kona range.
My personal favorite is the kona surf because it has more planning potential but as it has 180 liters you can still use it in lightwind conditions with a large sail.
http://www.kona-windsurfing.com/theboards/index_en.asp

If you want to buy second hand stuff, then watch out you don&#39;t buy stuff thats too old. I have an old longboard but i needed to make a few adjustments to the mastfoot before i could use my modern sails on it. Now i&#39;m cruzin on a board thats older than myself with sails that have just come out of the shop :d

have a blast muchacho

Old 29th January 2007, 08:12 PM   #6

Thank you for your input, everybody.

Unfortunately, Exocet Kona is not available for me over here (neither new or used). Any other recommendations? (I want a modern board, though)
The other board I had in mind was Bic Techno2 (also 148), but I haven&#39;t mentioned it as I though this was SB only forum ;-).

Tough choice - I&#39;m hearing many people say F-type is a great board (hey, somebody here please tell me this is a great board ;-)) and I&#39;ll have fun with it as long as there is enough wind for planing (they say otherwise windsurfing doesn&#39;t make sense anyway), and it means quite often for this board as far as I read the specs.
On the other hand some folks (including you) say I should get a longboard or regular freeride...

BTW: F-type 148 has sail range 5.5-10.5 - is 7.5 a good choice for the first sail? What wind would I need to get planning on this board at my weight (187lbs/85kg)?

-marek
Old 29th January 2007, 10:57 PM   #7
Matthew

Marek, often old long boards can be picked up very cheap. I have an f-type I love and use an F2 Lightenng (the old version) I got for free, when the wind os really light. Look in local gear listings or post a wanted ad, but you should be able to get an early 90&#39;s long board for under $100, then you&#39;ll have the best of both worlds as the f-type rocks.
Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2007, 11:20 PM   #8
crazychemical

7.5 is a good sail, i use my 7.6 more then any other. Windrange is between 4 and 5 BFT, so between 11 and 20 Knt. I weigh almost 90 and use a starboard GO139 with it which works great even if there is little wind thoguh i still can&#39;t match up to the fabulous speeds i get with a longboard in real lightwind. If i use my 7.6 in less then 10 knts i can still get into the footstraps etc...
Matthew is right saying u can easily get a cheap old longboard but the only thing u need to know before you do is how a modern mastfoot works and how the old systems works. I have a lot of experience with it if you ever need any help. A small side hobby of me and my dad is vintage surfing where we adjust the old systems to the modern click-system and go surfing with new sails on old boards. :d old man, old board, young bloke, new sail
Old 30th January 2007, 01:33 AM   #9
o2bnme

Send a message via AIM to o2bnme Send a message via Yahoo to o2bnme

Quote:
Tough choice - I&#39;m hearing many people say F-type is a great board (hey, somebody here please tell me this is a great board ;-)) and I&#39;ll have fun with it as long as there is enough wind for planing (they say otherwise windsurfing doesn&#39;t make sense anyway), and it means quite often for this board as far as I read the specs.
On the other hand some folks (including you) say I should get a longboard or regular freeride...
-marek
I&#39;ll say it... The F-Type really rocks!

But don&#39;t limit yourself to planing conditions. That is one reason windsurfing, as a sport, slowed its growth and started declining. Non-planing conditions, with the right equipment can be a blast. I take my Windsurfer Classic out with my 8.0 Retro and putz around. It is tons of fun. I can still do some of the basic tricks I used to do when that was the only board I had. I&#39;m still trying to get the rail ride back in my portfolio. ;-)

For me, Windsurfing isn&#39;t exciting until you get planing, but that doesn&#39;t mean it isn&#39;t fun. I have a lot of fun windsurfing in non-planing conditions. I take one of my yellow labs for a sail around the lake on my Windsurfer Classic or on my wife&#39;s Starboard Start L. I&#39;ve taken two nephews out on the Start for a nice long sail. They had a blast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
o2bnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2007, 01:57 AM   #10

Yeah, don&#39;t believe people who say non-planing windsurfing isn&#39;t the real thing. And remember that longboards DO plane when the wind comes up, and can go very fast. Basically, they do it all. Check out the video on http://www.exocet-original.com/forum/read.asp?ID=1793

Some earlier posters had a good idea; you could get the F-type, and get a cheap used longboard to complement it.

But if you just want one board, longboard is the way to go.

I am a fairly advanced windsurfer, but if I only had one board it would definitely be a longboard.