Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 11th October 2010, 06:22 AM   #1
azimuth

Default Progressive board selection

After a couple of lessons my wife is finally ready to commit. She is 55years old, 5'5" and 120lbs. She can tack a displacement board but has not planned yet. My decision would be fairly easy except that I would like to get her a board that is light enough for her to get on & off the car and carry to the beach by herself. She will be sailing in Corpus Christi, TX at Bird Island Basin. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I like the Kode Tufskin 137 with the foward fin but I'm uncertain if it will be stable enough for her. Thanks
azimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 07:42 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Azimuth,
Since WorldWinds (the Windsurfing Concessionare at Bird Island Basin in the So. Padre Island National
Seashore) is a Starboard dealer, and they have rentals, I would check with them first and see if they have a Kode Tufskin 137 your wife could try out.
If she can get it going, rent it for the day and see if she still likes it.
They have a large selection fo 2011,2010 and even some 2009 boards to choose from, so take a trip to Worldwinds and see what they have than gives your wife the stability she needs.
What displacement board was she sailing..... were the lessons from the guys at Worldwinds?
Hope this helps,
Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 07:48 AM   #3
azimuth

Thanks Roger,
She was sailing a Kona One & yes the lessons were from the guys at WorldWinds. We will buy the board from them as well. Great folks. We are just trying to get as much input as possible.
azimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 08:55 AM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Azimuth,
Kona One is big and floaty, that's for sure, but it's not real wide.
Pretty sure she won't have any problems with the Kode 137 (kinda wide, but much shorter, and the volume is all behind the mast foot, so she may need to alter her tacking method slighty from what the guys at WorldWinds may have taught.
Nothing wrong with what they teach, but it applies to longboards more than short boards with the volume behind the mast foot.
If she has issues with the nose sinking (due to stepping too far forward of the mast foot, give me a shout here on this forum (WS School would be best) and I can provide an alternative method that really works and is probably easier.
Also might want to look at a Rio S if they have one.
Great for light winds and cruising, but would plane up real easy for a 120 lb. lady.
Roger

Last edited by Roger; 11th October 2010 at 08:58 AM.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 09:25 AM   #5
Don @ Worldwinds

Howdy from Texas - not a big deal at all but just so you know - we only teach short board tack. We do not have long boards in school fleet.

Don @ Worldwinds
Don @ Worldwinds is offline   Reply With Quote