Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 23rd January 2007, 10:07 PM   #1
mike

Default board for 25+ knots

I currently have a Kombat 96 which goes nicely with 5.3. Although sailable with 4.7, the board usually feels big at this point & I find I need to keep it on the water to keep under control.

Mind you, the Kombat clearly suits the majority of my days, but I do miss abit on fully enjoying the fewer bigger days.

I'm 6 ft & weigh 185lbs. Water conditions are probably considered "real wave" with chop & nice swell further out.

As it wouldn't be a commonly used board, I'd probably consider a models 1-3 yrs old for price.

Thanks!
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2007, 05:44 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Default RE: board for 25+ knots

What about a Pure Acid 80 2006? A dedicated wave board for the likes of KP, but also a great B&J/freerider which is not without similarities to your Kombat so transition bewteen them would be easy.

You could also look at Acids from 2005 and before, but those are from a different line of developement. Also these offer GREAT control though.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2007, 09:01 PM   #3
mike

It's always good to get other opinions as I would have guessed Evo 74 range thinking Acids were more pure wave. But based on your description that there are B&J/freeride capabilities in high wind, the PA80 is one to think about. Also, any similarities to Kombat is a plus.

Thanks!
(& great forum)
Old 25th January 2007, 05:47 AM   #4
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Totally...PA80 absolute blitzer for that, no question.
PA80 (2006) absolute bargain for that, no question.
Perfect partner (size/range/overlap/ride) to the K96
4.7 will be magic, even 5.3 you will use PA80 more than you expect..

Cheers ~ Ian

PS : PA80's secret potential for hi wind B+J/blasting with crossover to wave has been up a few times; more discussion check the search engine links.
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2007, 11:38 PM   #5
mike

Hi Ian/Ola,

I looked up past posts on the PA & can see how it would appear pretty ideal in the overlap with Kombat 96. I've also been checking for board availablilty, pricing & starboard's historical board reviews. What do you think of the following options in comparison to PA80:

'05 Acid 74
'04 Acid 74
'04 Trance 74

Ola, you mentioned '05 & before is from a different line of development vs the PA80.

It's not that I'm looking for 74 litres, it just seems I've found more available in this size. I've read how there's more to 6 litres than 6 litres (shape etc). These boards all report able to hold a 5.3 sail (I'd use a 26 cm B&J fin). With this can you get drive off the fin with these boards??

I much appreciate your input as I've little experience to draw on for this. Smallest I've been on was a buddy's older 70l wave board & 4.0 on a day when I could barely keep my Kombat on the water with a 4.7 cranked flat(ridiculous). I was 1/2 planning & 1/2 shlogging & ended up downwind with the 70l (easy to water start as it sunk nicely). I would NOT WANT too big a gap like this.
Old 31st January 2007, 09:47 AM   #6
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hi Mike,

These are all really different boards to the PA80, and for bigger riders I would suggest something the size/range of PA80 to be the smallest ideal choice for the described conditions/ride style etc, especially if you want to avoid to much schlogging etc. PA80 bats a bit above it's weight (size) because it is a relatively efficent board, which helps get (and keep) bigger guys going in good but sub nuke conditions.

Combo of heavier rider on smaller board with bigger sail is usually not the ideal "sweetspot" scenario to gaurantee the most smiles per hour..

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2007, 09:01 PM   #7
mike

Thanks for re-confirming.

If there's one thing I've learned in this sport, it's better to make the extra effort to get the right gear for the conditions. Pays off big time in higher "smiles per hour."
Old 31st January 2007, 10:37 PM   #8
o2bnme

Send a message via AIM to o2bnme Send a message via Yahoo to o2bnme

Hey Ian, on this subject, what do you suggest for B&J for someone who's 140-145 pounds? I seem to find tons of information about heavier sailors.

Today, my small board is a 91L AHD Convert 60. What would you suggest as a replacement for something from 4-5.6 wind range for a lightweight like me? I would not take it out in the waves. I'm more interested in bump & jump and speed, but comfort in the chop is important as that seems to be an annoyance when I go sailing in high winds and the chop that results

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
o2bnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2007, 01:34 AM   #9
Jean-Marc
TEAM

o2bnme,

Not Ian writing but for B&J and speed with 4.0-5.6 sail size, I guess the 2005/2006 Prokid S-Type 72 L might be a good candidate for a light weight.
Check the message from Juri Munkki (67 kg) below (both in french and english) : http://www.star-board.com/forum/viewthread.php?forum_id=12&thread_id=21382

Or you might want to check this old thread about S-Type Prokid and Sonic 90 for a light weight below :
http://2006.star-board.com/forum/askteam/read.asp?ID=4651

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2007, 04:21 AM   #10
Jonathan

Hi o2bnme,

I'm the same weight as you, just bought a 2007 Wood Pure Acid 74 as my small board for both bump and jump and waves. I also have a Fanatic Freewave 78 but find the PA much more fun in 25+ knots. The Fanatic (probably most similar to the Kombat in Starboard) has much more sail carrying ability and easily copes with a 5.8 whereas I don't think I would try anything larger than 5.3 on the PA74 - but the Acid is a really great all-round high wind board. One of those boards that just feels so "right", fast and lively but well controlled, very stable in straight line blasting mode but effortless to jibe or carve down a wave face or chunk of swell.
I believe that trying to cover the 4.0 to 5.6 range is quite an ask for a small board (in our weight range) if it is still going to be fun in 30 knots. My theory is that trying to cover too bigger range with a smaller board can lead to it being good at everything rather than outstanding on the epic days (that you remember for years!). I realise it may seem too wavey for what you are after but please try one if you have a chance. As far as speed goes - managed to get it to low 30's knots with standard fin and wave sail at Sandy Point last weekend, although I guess that doesn't really count when guys are hitting 44 on the same day!

Good luck,
Jonathan
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote