Old 21st February 2011, 01:35 PM   #1
PJ_H

Default Kode / Futura / Carve

Hello,
our board family has two members at the moment: Starboard Formula and Futura 133. It's mainly light winds at our location but for the higher wind days we would like to buy one more board. I'm (75 kg) sharing the boards with my girlfriend (60 kg) and we're quite comfortable with foot straps and harness. No planing jibes yet, waterstart ok.

I'd like to hear your opinions what would you recommend for our next board: Kode (123 l), Futura (115 l)or Carve (120 l).

Is Futura easiest to handle of the that group?
Is Futura the earliest planing board?
Would it be boring to have both 133 l and 115 l Futuras (or should we buy 122 l)
Which board would be the easiest to learn planing jibe? Or is it easiest with our Futura 133 l?
Is Kode too difficult to handle for intermediates?

Thank you for advance if someone has time to answer these questions!
PJ
Old 21st February 2011, 10:49 PM   #2
COACHG

PJ,
What higher wind speeds are you shooting for? What type and size of sails do you have now? What is the water state on the higher wind days?

I would consider all 3 of your choices to be on the stronger side of a light wind day as all can be easily uphauled by the two of you. Higher winds to me means a board that can't be uphauled easily or at all.

Coachg
COACHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2011, 12:53 AM   #3
PJ_H

Oh yes, our terminology was a bit confusing - we're not experts :-) Higher winds for us would mean around 20 knots, at our place there are not really waves. Our sails are: no-cam sails 5,6 NP (older one), 6,5 and 8 Severne NCX, 9 NCX pro, 10 Overdrive.

But yes, we have to able to uphaul the sail.
Old 22nd February 2011, 07:25 AM   #4
COACHG

Flat water under 20 knts is probably not the ideal setup for the Kode. I think your choice will be between the Futura & the Carve. I would consider the 111 for both the Futura & the Carve as 122 is too close to the board you have now and she weighs only 60 kg. She can easily uphaul a 111 & you will be able to as well, it will just be a little tippy at first.

For learning gybe, get the Carve. For more speed get the Futura.

Coachg
COACHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2011, 05:09 PM   #5
PJ_H

Thank you COACHG!

What you say really makes sense, our choice will be Carve and good to hear 111 l is enough. Even though waterstart is not a problem, it's the lulls that can make it a bit challenging so it's good to know that I can uphaul the sail if necessary.

Thanks again and all the best!
Old 22nd February 2011, 10:27 PM   #6
Ken

PJ-H,

I concur with the 111 boards. At your weight, uphauling a 111 liter board should not be a problem. In rough water, it becomes more of an issue, but it can be done. I weight 77 kg and uphauling my 105 liter HiFly is not too difficult if my feet are placed in the right place. My ISonic 111 (108 liters) is a bit easier because of its extra width.

It just takes a little practice. I chose these boards because of the varied wind conditions and wind shadows where I sail. It's not unusual on a 15-25 day to find myself in a 0-5 wind hole for a couple of minutes. Occasionally, up-hauling gets me to the wind line or back to shore if I fall in. I don't fall often, but swirling wind gusts will occasionally dump me in the lake.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote