Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 10th February 2007, 09:06 AM   #11
CarlosD

Send a message via MSN to CarlosD
Default RE: ISonic fine tuning (For Ian and Kevin)

To Ian:

Thanks a lot for your detailed answers, I will keep you posted as soon as I can try the new machines (they arrived to Buenos Aires but some custom papers must be done before I get them (the waiting is killing me!!!!!),

To Phill

Don???t give up Phill !!! 5 minutes on the IS87 well maybe worth one week bed ridden, but??? thinking it better, not even the snowman seems to be happy while sailing (look at his face!)
At least you have your board; I have my new babies jailed in a container at the port. Meanwhile the wind is blowing every day.

Regards

Carlos
CarlosD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2007, 02:13 AM   #12
Phill104

Today I finally got to try the iS87 and I'm very impressed.

The board is very well finished (much better than my iS115 that had some obvious scratches touched up from new). It comes with the race straps which I had to fit in the largest setting and using the widest insert holes. I'm a size nine (UK) and it's obvious that these straps are meant to be used with bare feet. Unfortunately it's bloody cold here at the moment so I had to wear my booties. I think it would be a struggle to use these straps if you have feet bigger than mine and want to wear booties.

I rigged the board with a 6.4 Tush X15. Luckily there was a guinea pig on the same kit out (Cheers Duncan) so I knew this was right. Being my first go I was a little tense and sailed like a Muppet for the first few runs. I soon got the hang of it though and was amazed by how easy this board is to sail.

The volume is well placed under the feet giving a really comfortable shape to the board. Getting the board planing was no effort at all and it accelerates so quickly. Once going the board is so well mannered and just goes where you want it making steering through the little bit of chop there was very easy.

The supplied 32cm fin is very powerful and was too much for the 6.4. It's probably more suited to a 7.0. I should have come in and swapped fins but I was having too much fun.

I didn't really push the board to it's limit partly due to the fin but mainly due to the angle of the wind. I still managed 30.1kts and there was loads more to go. Had the wind been stronger and from a better direction I'm sure it would go much faster.

One of the most impressive aspects of this board was it's ability to gybe. I was a little worried about turning it but I am pleased to say it was easy. I actually managed to come out of a gybe planing, a rarity for me. I even found it quite easy to tack considering the lack of volume in front of the mast.

Carlos,

You are going to love this board

I've attached a pic of someone else sailing today just to show the conditions in Portland Harbour. He was on a Kombat 96

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2007, 10:55 PM   #13
Grant

Could someone please tell me if the Isonic 87 has any sidecuts or cutouts at the rear.

Thanks,

Grant
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2007, 08:43 AM   #14
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

iS87 has vertical side cuts at the tail ~ but no cutouts (underneath).

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2007, 09:32 AM   #15
CarlosD

Phill,
I lie if I say that i??m not a little envious beacuse of your IS87 first flight (mine is already in the container waiting that our customs bureaucracy finish the papers, I hope tomorrow I will receive it).
It??s nice to hear that the board have a nice jibing ability because exiting jibes planning is not my speciality and surely the new board will help me a lot.
Meanwhile I??m sailing my JP Slalom II 114 (the last runs, because It will be replaced by the IS111) and trying a friend??s IS105 (amazing!lots of speed and control, I hope the IS111 will be already better)

good winds, I will keep you posted

Carlos
Old 13th February 2007, 10:49 PM   #16
Grant

Thanks for the information Ian.

Cheers,

Grant
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 03:50 PM   #17
Julian

Send a message via MSN to Julian

Thanks for al the information so far guys, since I'll have my 87 to cover up the highend situations of my 111, I'm wondering what downhaul/outhaul/boom/mastfoot-settings you would suggest when surfing with:

CR 4.6 / 5.6 on iSonic 50
CR 5.6 / 6.7 on iSonic 87
CR 6.7 / 7.7 on iSonic 111

And finally I was wondering what sail size should be possible to put on top of the 7.7?
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2007, 10:03 AM   #18
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hi Julian,

There a really are a lot of significant variables that will influence the "ideal" setings for downhaul/outhaul/boom/mastfoot (even on specific sail/board combo/s). Depending on the individual rider (height/weight/stance) plus personal settings like harness line length, fin selection (tuning and style), the water conditions (flat thru to extreme chop), wind (steady thru to super gusty) - and then the type of sailing (slalom racing [requires acceleration as well as speed] - pure downwind, or Fig 8 [with some upwind leg], hi wind reaching [blasting] or downwind pure speed GPSSS style [only concern for highest absolute speed, not upwind nor accel] ...and so on) the ideal settings will definetly vary.

In general, the CR responds best to medium to strong downhaul,but not to the point of totally killing the sail and indicing twitchy handling. Outhaul usually varies from moderate positive (beam recah or upwind) to moderate negative downwind/broad/speed or in some case quite negative for pure downwind speed)

Boom again, moderate high (average) - depending on many of those variables above - a little higher in "ideal" conditions and a little lower in totally crazy (control) conditions can help - although the higher position exerts more leverage over the rig in higher powered conditions, too.

Mastfoot placement is pretty easy, just bang it in the middle of the track (on those boards, with those sails ) and you won't be far wrong. Beyond that (again, really dependent upon many of those variables - and even fin choice in speed sailing can alter ideal stance, which in turn effects both mastfoot and boom height etc) - if you do need to move from centre, the general recipe is usually a little further FWD (2cm) in rougher or control conditions, and a little 1-2cm BACK for flatter water/higher speed.

Hope this all helps, well a little, anyway.

With some more detail specifics, it becomes a little more practical to offer (accurate) finer tuning tips - let us know !

For the bigger sail than 7.7m, typically the best size jump "up" would be the 9.0m in CR-R2. 8.3m actually works really well, and especially with the iS111 but is a fair amount of overlap with the effective range of the 7.7m in normal use. Considering the range of both the board and sail, if getting the most range from the next sail is the objective, then 9.0m is the upper practical limit (assumes less than heavyweight rider).

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2007, 09:06 PM   #19
CarlosD

Hi all,

Finally my new boards arrived and I managed to sail both in the last three days.

Day one

Offshore wind (very gusty and little to medium chopp) 12-25 knots.
First was the IS 111, I rigged my Code red 7.7 and the 36 cm fin The board was not only extremely fast but easy to control under these conditions (including the heavier gusts and bigger chopp when I became overpowered).

After 1 hour enjoying windsurfing at really high speeds I switched to the IS 87 , Code red 6.7 and the 32 cm fin, assuming that during the lightest gusts I would need an snorkel.
Not really ... taking off with the IS87 is very easy, and the board accelerates in an awesome manner, reaching high speeds in a pair of seconds. When plannig at such speeds the boards is able to cross large wind holes without problems and the jibes are very sweet.
Phill, you are right ,I love this board
When at full throttle the speed was terrific (seems to be a speed needle)
The 32 fin seems to be a little small for the 6.7 when pointing close to the wind, I will try a 34 on the next session.

I was very happy with the two boards (like a dog with two tails), unfortunately I dont have a GPS to measure speeds.

Day two

12/15 knots heavy chopp (0.70/0.80 cm)

Isonic 111, code red 7.7, 36 cm fin

The runs were almost upwind beacuse of the strong cross tidal current.
The 111 was flying again, this time over the big chopp. I measured 27.6 knots (vmax) with my new GPS (I could not wait more to have it)
Not bad for big chopp and square run.
The 36 cm fin is perfect for the 7.7

Day three

After 1 Hr session aboard a Gemini tandem (a hi-speed surreal experience, I will post later at the free forum) I rigged the IS 87 with the CodeRed 6.7 and the 34 cm fin.
The wind was stronger (20/22 knots), but when I finished rigging was only 15/18 and again the runs were upwind because of the cross current :@
Equipped with the 34 fin the IS87 points much better for my weight (89 KG) and despite the wind was too light for the quiver I measured 30.6 knots of Vmax . Another day of joy!!!!

I hope the next days I will be able to sail with better conditions, I will keep you posted

Best regards

Carlos

The motors:
Slalom: Code red 8.8 NP RSR 7.8/6.7 evo/6.2 evo NP RS6 5.4
Wave: NP zone 4.4 North Ice 4.7/5.3

The rider: Age 48 (yeah, I know, so old, but still on form)
Height 1,84 m
Weight 87 kg
Old 24th February 2007, 02:19 AM   #20
lucofede

Carlos,

By any chance your day three was on past Wednesday 21 in the R??o de la Plata?
I think I recognize the conditions as I sailed that day and was caught by the same wind drop

Cheers
lucofede is offline   Reply With Quote