Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 22nd April 2011, 08:14 PM   #11
nicolo.piccolomini

Has Starboard, with the help of modern day board technology and development, created in essence a better, more sophisticated version of the old sailboards with the serenity?
North Sails
nicolo.piccolomini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2011, 03:27 AM   #12
nakaniko

About fins: not yet, I wait for a chance to try the Serenity outside the Lagoon into the sea. especially about the Drake 70. Inside the lagoon I should choose some deep water spot, but this don't match easily with places were I do my rigging standing in shallow water. My traditional venetian boat (sampierota or sampierotta) has small engine and is slow, so long time to reach the sea, even if the small engine is allowed by law to go everyvwere in the lagoon.
Abou the plastic 40, I don't think I can get more performance than a G10 weed 40/56, but I'll try in the future. In my limited experience narrow boards show less loss of performance using seaweed fins than wider ones (in fact I have more problems about planing with a PB Fanatic 34/48 over my actual widebody freeride than my old Mistral Echo 298).
For videos: I've already (home-)made a tripod-screw-to-m8 converter to fix my new waterproof Rollei X8 camera at front the end of the mast track, but then i've found that the audio of camera was broken, and I've given back the camera to the shop - So please wait some more time.
NiccolÚ, using two times the Serenity doesn't allow me to fully judge it, but as far as I can see now, the Serenity is not a simple improvement, is a radical choice that can open windsurf again to a lot of people. Don't have fear about its lenght, let's remember that our fathers loved original windsurfing even if with 4,5 mt long and slow boards with 25 or more kg of weight, one-piece mast, one piece booms.
But now sportsmen want performance devices, and imho Serenity is one of the few still portable devices that can give a real performance in wind lower (oh yes) than the minimum for kiting, the sport that has been stealing much appeal from windsurfing in these days between young people... An also: SUP has a greater and greater appeal even if requires long and wide boards to carry, this because is a sport you can do everywhere, so why not believe in a board that can allow to do windsurfing almost everywhere in the most easy to find sea conditions, with only one mast and one sail?

my endangered spot

Last edited by nakaniko; 23rd April 2011 at 03:55 AM.
nakaniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 03:07 AM   #13
nakaniko

Lowest wind day up to now with the Serenity, last Sunday.
I wanted to try to ride almost the impossible, portable windmeter at its best showed 3-4 knots, but wind was even slowly decresing if possible to 2-3. Some gust sometime. When rigging this time I was feeling a little mad, neither in the most unlucky august days I tried to rig with the wind you can only feel moving the face on one side...
In my opinion Serenity does have a lower wind limit, because the board is so gliding that you dare to use it even with unreal situations, but in these times board becames really technical, is very easy to fall when some gust arrives, or when you find a real total hole of wind. But even slowly but Serenity incredibly still goes on, and a little gust became a sudden acceleration.
Totally different is the way of riding when a wave comes at 45' degrees from stern or bow, from our nasty water traffic jam, the poorest the wind the more the long board reacts taking his own direction. So different, so facinating.
Boys.... In the first time since years thanks to the Serenity april ended up with 7 days on the water, not far than 2 days a week, when in all 2010 season I had 13 windsurfing days. So I've happily given up to go in the gym for fitness and then I've saved 60-70 euro (80-90 usd) each month. I've scored the best april in my windsurfing life, with 4 planing days and 3 Serenity-days, and except from the last one they were all full of action. I've saved a lot of stress compared to last years, when loosing a good wind days in Venice used to gave me a very bad feeling, thinking at how less they are in a season. Now I feel I have a lot more opporunities.
If storing and/or carrying a long fascinating sailing gondola is not a big problem for you, don't think twice, go for it....

P.S.: imho don't think that K15 sup could be the same. never tried it but imho is more easy to "sup" a narrow Serenity in mirror glassy water (I'll try), than have a real performing windsurfing on a K15...

Last edited by nakaniko; 3rd May 2011 at 04:39 AM.
Old 16th May 2011, 12:07 AM   #14
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Agree you need a minimum wind speed just to steer and start the Serenity. Once going in motion with 2 knots of wind, no problems to glide on mirror-like water. In gusty wind conditions, I've found out it's better to lower the boom so you can stay hooked in all the time and get a better balance.

If you like outdoor work out on your Serenity, try her in no winds by slow and ample pumping of the sail. This is tricky because you need a bit of hull banking to keep her on track straight forward while the center of effort of your sail is moving upon each sail pumping.

As for supping the Serenity, this is doable but the round-bottomed hull is very unstable and tippy as compared to a dedicated racing flat-bottomed SUP hull. Never tried the K15 yet, sorry.

Cheers!

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 01:05 AM   #15
nakaniko

Thanks for suggestions, I'll keep them in my mind and apply soon.
I'll was impressed by the suping of Serenity here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6skGtOXKKGk so nice-
On the opposite, I was thinking this about upper wind situations.
For venetian boats, that are long and narrow, when someone wants them to
plane with a big engine, used to add some "flaps on the side of the stern.
So, seeing my photos in the most windy situation, with bow up and stern
down, I was wondering if a "semifoil" flat fin like the example in the photo could
work in these situations to change the Serenity from a semiplaning board in
a fully planning one, keeping up the stern, , but still with
all the opportunities in lower winds given by the narrow tail shape...

(also much smaller than the example)
I don't know what was their purpouse, but I've seen some old fins with horizontal flat elements, so they could be a starting point...

Sorry if idea seems too mad, meanwhile I'm recovering from c6-c7 spinal problems so I keep on wondering...
Old 22nd May 2011, 10:59 PM   #16
nakaniko

Another lonely session yesterday, when a lot of boats were nasty running and devastating our nice "barenas".
Rigged when there were no more than 3 knots, but Serenity moved so promptly uphauling that I hit the left side of the stern of the boat; no damages luckly thanks to sportech construction, It was the correct choice.
First runs at a good quiet speed, with 9,5, that is heavier than 8,5 (HSM Stealths) and less easy to handle on Serenity,bad, but pushes more down the nose of the board, good.
When wind started to slightly "refresh" in the evening to some 6-7 knots, like on every sea town, I've made a run on the shallow water to reach S. Francis of the Desert (S. Francesco del Deserto) island, alone, speeding up, only birds flying around. Not to say that with the Serenity you can decide to go almost everywhere you want, as it (she?) can go upwind in a way that planing boards only dream. And believe me the sensation is not far from planing- Me, alone, no f*%&ing motor boats running, none of the humans devastating my beloved and heavily dangered lagoon. One of the best windsurf run of the season.
It seems to me impossible that a so different and superior lightwind board isn't the most talked about around! Sorry to see me updating more and more this post but this board is so exciting...
Old 8th June 2011, 08:09 PM   #17
nakaniko

Default a question about sails

A question for expert/instructors.
I've seen that using about the same sail but in larger size, I.e. switching to HSM Stealth 8,5 from 1999 to HSM Stealth 9,5 from 2003, the Serenity is more balanced in the nose, I mean the nose is kept more down especially when wind is increasing; and this in the same mast track position.
Why this? I thought that the bigger the sail the more back the centre of push (don't now the name).
So my suspect is that this incredible and so different board with lower winds loves better little smaller sails, as you can handle better and board stay balanced, the more the wind the BIGGER the sail is better (obviopusly up to his natural limit of 10-12 knots)....
Old 19th August 2011, 05:40 PM   #18
nakaniko

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVZm6..._order&list=UL
And it works good also as a sup (flatwater); note that I'm 90 kg and sup absolute beginner.
Too bad Starboard won't produce it anymore in 2012...
Old 20th August 2011, 02:16 PM   #19
StarDipsy

Incredible board !!

I just had mine last month after 9 months waiting but it definitely worth it !

I used to sail on old div2 open longboard from the early 80's and the serenity is a true evolution of this class.

The shape, design, and measurements are really unique in the history of windsurf.

Thanks to Starboard, you made my dream come true at last

Under 12 knots this board is faster than anything else on water due to its great hydrodynamic.

Check out "KILLERGABAS" videos on the tube (can't post the link until 5 posts...), to see me on first trying mine.

Such an underated board !
StarDipsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 10:14 PM   #20
nakaniko

I can only agree with you, and I'm happy to hear this form a former Div 2 rider, as someone told me that the old Div 2 were much faster, even for a post 1996 windsurfer like me is hard to believe there's something faster than Serenity in lightwind. And I've read also about the various problem of the div2 construction.
People has somehow fear of a radical choice for Serenity (board). It's obvious that Serenity is a board that you have to take out from the water when water is rough and wind is more than 12 knots. But I keep on asking myself why a lot of people living like me in poor windy places buy a 77 liters wave board for using it in not more than 5 times a year, instead of a real-world board like the serenity that you can use and have real emotional riding for imho 30 times or more every year. Even if my friends were astonished and doubtful, I realized this and bought the Serenity after almost 10 years after my last new board.
Problem is that there is no more advertising about this board since a lot, the arrival of windsurfable SUPs moved away the Starboard marketing direction, the fact of putting Serenity and K15 side by side on the catalogue was seen by me as a clear sentence of death for the serenity project, and in 2012 it seems that Serenity will be out of production.
I can understand that a Phantom has more versatility, especially the 2012 new shapes, but I still believe that versatility always means having two possibilities but losing the best aspects of both. So imho f.e. itís way better to have a freestylewave board loosing something in the few waveriding days than losing the uncomparable sensations that a Serenity board can give in lightwind. And as far as Iíve tried, a planning longboard with centerboard has for sure more versatylity, but up to 5-6 knots riding is far less interesting and emotional than on a Serenity, only in the upper part of lightwind range (1-10) it becomes amazing (compared to my Mistral Ventura 343 2009).
Iím only sorry that for unlucky circumstances I wasnít able to make videos tu support Serenity Windsurfing on the web an then Ė perhaps create around some interest, some selling of Serenity. A Serenity movement.
Seeing some strange sales on ebay.de of new Serenity boards clearly told me that in the end wasnít easy to sell sucha long gondola for around 2.000 euro...

P-S- there is a little mistake in the titles of your videos, is Sernty instead Serenity, I suggest you to correct and add full name, Serenity Windsurfing, so serches can find them easily without mixing with various videos about sense of serenity