Old 12th February 2007, 01:22 AM   #1
utthita

Default rig action on a bottom turn

Watching Kevin do bottom turns, they begin with a brief but extreme backward rake of the rig, oversheeting, then transition quickly to a laydown pushing the mast forward, then finally some tail action to point the board at the wave.

What is the purpose of the initial backward rake and oversheet? Why not just bank into the turn, sheet in and lay the rig down?
utthita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2007, 03:27 AM   #2
Kevin Pritchard
Dream Team Member

Default RE: rig action on a bottom turn

I think it is to get rid of some of the power of he sail. Where were you seeing me do this? Hard to say without seeing the clip of it. Do I do it every time? Probably something that I am not really aware of just a habit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kevin Pritchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2007, 02:17 PM   #3
Russell

Sheeting in the sail can depower the sail but it depends on where the wind is comming from.

Doing a quick sheet in movement puts presure on the back of the sail helping to put presure on the back of the board. Moving the rig back puts more presure on the back of the board.

The important thing is that the board is angled when you do this movement as it is the rail you want to sink in, which gives you grip. not the tail flat which slows you down or makes you spin out.

You also have to be going very fast to use this method. Also because the sail movement is putting the presure onto the tail you can be driving much harder with the front foot as you do not need so much presure on your back foot and be leaning much further forward.

So the sequence should be, as you start to drop into the wave, First angle the board, then give a quick sheet in and rig back to make the tail bite. By the time you have reached the botom of the wave you should be driving hard with your front foot and leaning forwards with the rig traveling forwards. The rig should be traveling forwards until you are ready to do your transition into the top turn,

I have some interesting examples of wave riding at http://broadbandsports.com/node/5826
you might like to look at. You will notice that they do not always bring the rig back.

Russell
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2007, 04:00 PM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

Beinn the sucker for analysing everything from boards to riding, I've looked quite a bit on both Kevin and others. One thing to understand is that most people adjust their style quite a lot relative the conditions. That said, there are often som elements of style which you can identify regardless of consitions.

As for Kevin, I would no say he typically rakes his rig backwards that much, but you're right in that he tend to oversheet quite a bit and also maybe rake bak a little just when initiating hte turn. Many people do this a lot but others do it less. If you look at Scotty, he generally enters his bototm turns less oversheeted and with more sail power on.

Style is very individual and all these top guys are natural talents and I doub't every separate move is done for a specific reason. Still, I would say that the reason for oversheeting a bit in the start of the turn, is to kill power as Kevin says, but also to get in a neutral and natural position over the board at this stage. A "modern" so called front foot bottom turn is largely characterised by that the rider is sort of gradually rotatng the sail in the opposite direction relative the turn itself and laying down the sail forwards. To do this it makes sense not to start out in a sheeted out position.

Another way of explaning this is that during the drop in and acceleration phase on a fast wave, you want to stay as neutral as possible on the board and also keep the sail neutral. This is especially evident in super light winds, when it can even be hard to accelerate down the wave at all without carefully "tucking in" the sail. But when you're at the bottom of the wave, speed is so much higher and the apparent wind makes using the sail possible again.

If you're aiming for a so called from foot bottom turn, I'm a bit hesitant to use the explanation by Russel. Its always hard to put these things in words, but rotating the rig backwards, towards the tail, to get pressure on the back foot leave you in a kind of difficult position if you later want to engage more front rail. But again, it depends on the wave too. On the nice video Russle posted, I would say the techique mostly used is "half back footed". You can see that the rider is sometimes leaning back over the tail instead of forwards to engage more rail. But it seems to fit the waves at that spot.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2007, 11:11 PM   #5
utthita

Default RE: responses much appreciated

thank you
utthita is offline   Reply With Quote