Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 2nd February 2007, 11:31 PM   #1
Happy

Default Longboard sailing

It is happening and for what I know SB is going to come out with three different longboard style windsurfers.

Any comments?
Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2007, 04:27 AM   #2
Arno13

Default RE: Longboard sailing

I can't wait to see SB's reply to the warp 380 !
Arno13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2007, 01:52 PM   #3
Garda

It looks like a nice shape, perhaps a little bit short for light winds. The Kona, despite being much lighter, seems slower than the Windsurfer One Design in light winds because of the shorter length and greater width.

Is that a fixed centre fin? I really hope it's got a "real" centreboard, anything else seems to be taking us back to the days of the original Windsurfer with the daggerboard.

So what are the other two Starboard longboards? The Kona 380 feels very nice.
Garda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2007, 07:39 PM   #4
fuzztone

I just found this:
http://www.boards.co.uk/main/article.asp?a=2064

I've ordered a Exocet Kona Surf one month ago. Who knows...
fuzztone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2007, 01:19 AM   #5
Happy

Yes I found that too, would be nice if any of the Starboard guys/girls would step in and tell us a bit more about it.
Old 9th February 2007, 07:37 AM   #6
steveC

The thing that caught my attention here is the decision to make the centerboard, or dagger, removable rather than an on demand option. Kind of working more off the Serenity idea. Looking at the surfy longboard shape, with a target toward stand-up paddling market, the removable centerboard is quite a weight saver and really more versatile on the scheme of things.

Maybe it's a challenge of sorts with Exocet's offerings? Of course, one should check out Patrice B's latest video offering regarding the Kona Surf, where he's the feature star. He's having a great time in a marginal environment, and I don't think it wasn't part of the message. With less complexity concerning the centerboard, I think that Starboard might have some leverage here. Better for many like me that see an opportunity in surf rather than lake type directional crusing. The beauty is the economy between the two interests. One or the other, depending on the environment. Not a bad idea.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2007, 01:36 AM   #7
Happy

So far no answers from the Starboard crew, they might have their reasons so I'll just ramble on (as I'm very stoked about this 'new' direction windsurfing is hopefully heading).

We now have the 12'6" and the 12'2"

All I now is there are at least 2 more boards in the making.
One that has Jeffrey Henderson written all over it (or at least closely involved with the design) at nearly 30" wide. Another one of 9'9" (probably one to lure people into this side of the sport because of it's transportability in the car).

Still no comments or at least telling us, when you wil let the cat completely out of the bag??