Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 14th February 2007, 09:50 PM   #1

Default bigger fin for EVO80

Looking to get bigger fin for 2007 EVO 80 for 5.7m weather to improve early planing. Drake Natural Wave 25 is probably the obvious choice but I was wondering if anyone has tried the 26 with this board - would it be too big?. I'm 95kg/210lbs.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2007, 12:53 AM   #2
geo

Default RE: bigger fin for EVO80

Personally, I use the stock 23 fin on my '06 Evo 83 with 5.8. It seems to me there is no problem, at least at 85 kg..
I doubt that a bigger fin would be of any help in planing sooner; while surely it would help in tracking and pointing.
I think that for your weight the 80 turns out to be an higher wind board compared to my 83 for my weight; so you should be able to use it faster and even better with the stock fin.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2007, 01:26 PM   #3
Ola_H
TEAM

Default RE: bigger fin for EVO80

I've done fairly extensive tests with different fin sizes on all EVOs. On the 80, you can in fact use the Drake 26. As geo points out, for some people and in some conditions, it might make more sense to use the 23, but conversely, there are other sailors and other conditions where a 26 will help get the most from the board.

In short, what you will mainly get from the bigger fin is some more "effeciveness" with bigger sails, especially when you are underpowered. As geo points out (again) once at speed the bigger fin will not help as much. But one of the great things about the Drake Natual fins is that they are very versatile in the sense that at slower speeds a bigger version will still feel nice and loose and at higher speeds a smaller version will get more powerful. That measn that even for a goven board-sail-rider combination, there is quite a wide range of Naturals that will work and the best choice generally depend on riding/sailing speed.

Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote