Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th May 2011, 02:27 PM   #11
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Thanks guys for the replies! These are really helpful advises for a newbie like me.
I will keep in mind all the protective equipment that you have proposed and I will not go for a very light board construction. I was thinking of FE.
I have found a used 2002 Bic Techno Formula in good condition for $550. Shall I go for it?

A good guy here advises me to first learn the basics on rented equipment and then go for a newer board version because technology on formula boards has improved radically after 2005 and it is easier to learn nowadays on 2-3 year old boards rather than older boards. What do you think of the Bic techno formula 2002 versus lets say SB Formula Experience in respect to technology, ease of use, handling etc for a newbie?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 04:25 PM   #12
nakaniko
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Venezia, Italia
Posts: 133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergio k View Post
Ken....
(personally for me longboarding is just as exciting as watching grass grow...) ..
Try the Starboard Serenity in 5-10 knots and you will see the light in... lightwind
nakaniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 04:46 PM   #13
nakaniko
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Venezia, Italia
Posts: 133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanks guys for the replies! These are really helpful advises for a newbie like me.
I will keep in mind all the protective equipment that you have proposed and I will not go for a very light board construction. I was thinking of FE.
I have found a used 2002 Bic Techno Formula in good condition for $550. Shall I go for it?

A good guy here advises me to first learn the basics on rented equipment and then go for a newer board version because technology on formula boards has improved radically after 2005 and it is easier to learn nowadays on 2-3 year old boards rather than older boards. What do you think of the Bic techno formula 2002 versus lets say SB Formula Experience in respect to technology, ease of use, handling etc for a newbie?
I only can tell you what I've heard and read abour Bic Techno Formula. It's CTS made not sandwich so stronger but heavier. Honestly I owned a Bic Tribal, CTS made, and it didn't seem much heavier than a normal sandwich, not carbon or pro.
First versions had the trimbox for the fin that cannot load the pressure of a long race fin, so breackage is possible, then better avoid them. and look for the ones with the deeptuttle finbox version.
Sometime it depends from material witch is made the finbox, my old custom flapper should have a carbon custom finbox and can handle my excessive 66 cm Rainbow even if has a powerbox.
Hope other riders can help with more/different informations and opinions, also for the other topics.
Anyway good to learn on a rented beginner-oriented equipment, don't dare to rent a 110 liters freeride board trusting too much in your learning skill. My poor formula for an absolute beginner is volume two times your weight, central width at least more than your weight.

Last edited by nakaniko; 12th May 2011 at 04:54 PM.
nakaniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 10:16 PM   #14
sergio k
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanks guys for the replies! These are really helpful advises for a newbie like me.
I will keep in mind all the protective equipment that you have proposed and I will not go for a very light board construction. I was thinking of FE.
I have found a used 2002 Bic Techno Formula in good condition for $550. Shall I go for it?

A good guy here advises me to first learn the basics on rented equipment and then go for a newer board version because technology on formula boards has improved radically after 2005 and it is easier to learn nowadays on 2-3 year old boards rather than older boards. What do you think of the Bic techno formula 2002 versus lets say SB Formula Experience in respect to technology, ease of use, handling etc for a newbie?
Bic TECHNO Formula is a perfect choice , it's longer, has some extra float and planes easier without
pumping, so not as technical and it's durable as any board could be. Starboard FE would be a bit harder in the beginning, both about the same durability, FE has better upwind/downwind capability.
I would get Bic, specially if you can get it cheaper, use it / beat it up, and when you feel you outgrow it,
go for regular formula
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 11:58 PM   #15
Ken
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 799
Default

If you must go for a formula board to learn on, then the Bic Techno would be a good choice. However, the $550 is a bit much for a 9 year old board, even if it's in great shape. $400 would be fine, but the used gear market where I live (Dallas, TX) suggest about $350. We have swap meets about 3 times a year here and there is always at least one formula board.

Remember, planing on any formula board in light winds takes large sails 11.0 - 12.5, long EXPENSIVE carbon masts and booms. It will take a lot of hours to learn how to sail the board and handle the large sails so that you can plane in under 10 knots. The board will be the cheap part of the equation unless you can find good used masts, sails and booms.
__________________
Toys:
Formula 160; iSonic 111; HiFly Move 105; Tiga 263; '85 Mistral Superlight.
Maui Sails TR 11.0; 9.2; 8.4; 7.6; 6.6; Maui Sails Switch 6.0; 5.2; Maui Sails Global 4.5; 4.0.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 12:36 AM   #16
sergio k
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
If you must go for a formula board to learn on, then the Bic Techno would be a good choice. However, the $550 is a bit much for a 9 year old board, even if it's in great shape. $400 would be fine, but the used gear market where I live (Dallas, TX) suggest about $350. We have swap meets about 3 times a year here and there is always at least one formula board.

Remember, planing on any formula board in light winds takes large sails 11.0 - 12.5, long EXPENSIVE carbon masts and booms. It will take a lot of hours to learn how to sail the board and handle the large sails so that you can plane in under 10 knots. The board will be the cheap part of the equation unless you can find good used masts, sails and booms.
Ken, you're all doom and gloom and EXPENSIVE, think FUN
Used gear prices dictated by availability/location, $550 is OK if in good shape but of course, cheaper is better, specially when you just getting into the sport...
There's a price to pay for fun and windsurfing adrenaline/hours is still probably cheapest sport around!!!
Beginner can start with 6.5 - 7.0 with Techno formula, than 8.5-10 m2, I would go for bigger stuff when
skill improve and you know that you LOVE it, than get real FW board/big rig
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 03:00 AM   #17
Ken
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 799
Default

Sergio,

Any reason a beginner shouldn't be informed about what is ahead if he is committed to planing in light winds with formula gear? I pay what it takes to maximize my fun and I have a van dedicated to all my toys. However, I see a lot of folks with the wrong stuff sold to them by unscrupulous guys trying to dump their old stuff on any sucker that is new to the sport. Just last week, I met a guy at the lake with a 100 liter glass board and a 6m sail that he just bought. He had never windsurfed before. The board was fine, so I told him to keep it and in a year or two, he may be able to sail it.

At our swap meets at the local windsurfing shop, there are a half dozen volunteers that are the sellers of the used gear. We are there to match gear with each sailor's skill level and also to warn when the price is too high and also if it is a great deal. The shop gets 10% of each sale or the sailor gets 100% in store credit.

A knowledgeable windsurfer is a happy windsurfer.
__________________
Toys:
Formula 160; iSonic 111; HiFly Move 105; Tiga 263; '85 Mistral Superlight.
Maui Sails TR 11.0; 9.2; 8.4; 7.6; 6.6; Maui Sails Switch 6.0; 5.2; Maui Sails Global 4.5; 4.0.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 04:04 AM   #18
sergio k
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Knowledge is great! But spending even $550 for bic techno formula is probably wisest money that this guy will spend in windsurfing, now if he was buying 25 year old set for $200 bucks, I would say he's waisting
his money; spooking a newbie with words like capital case 'EXPENSIVE' mast, I just don't get it...
first, he doesn't need it now if he cannot afford it, second, there's a second hand market were you can buy
it lot cheaper;third, even if you buy a mast in the store ( and I do buy 100% carbon masts every other year), comparing to what this sport gives you and other rec. activities, it's still bargain!
Guy is planning to buy a large/user friendly/early planning board, probably one of the best shapes for beginner even now, not a 100 Liter sinker - board could be used with sails from 5m2-12m2 comfortably,
what are you trying to save him from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Sergio,

Any reason a beginner shouldn't be informed about what is ahead if he is committed to planing in light winds with formula gear? I pay what it takes to maximize my fun and I have a van dedicated to all my toys. However, I see a lot of folks with the wrong stuff sold to them by unscrupulous guys trying to dump their old stuff on any sucker that is new to the sport. Just last week, I met a guy at the lake with a 100 liter glass board and a 6m sail that he just bought. He had never windsurfed before. The board was fine, so I told him to keep it and in a year or two, he may be able to sail it.

At our swap meets at the local windsurfing shop, there are a half dozen volunteers that are the sellers of the used gear. We are there to match gear with each sailor's skill level and also to warn when the price is too high and also if it is a great deal. The shop gets 10% of each sale or the sailor gets 100% in store credit.

A knowledgeable windsurfer is a happy windsurfer.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 05:02 AM   #19
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

glad sergio likes the formula board
however, he seems a little closed minded
there is life after formula
you think it is the best cuz that's what u do
you are barely listening to others
and longboards WILL gain popularity
the JP new wide board may replace formula populairity
AND Tinho Dolleras (spelling) of calema in Florida has a really decent custom board
we are reading more and more about KONA , Serenity, and other light wind options
Starboard has been known to be innovators in many of these areas of light wind sailing
they are adding center boards to GOs
where i am formula people have their days, butt my longboard has more days and can handle variation like lulls MUCH MUCH better
ie donut discard other options - formula is one, wide free-ride is another, even KONA is an option
keep the mind and eyes open
good winds and peace too :-)
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 05:41 AM   #20
sergio k
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Q was - is formula good as a starter board for beginner, my response was, it's great if
you live in light wind place and want to maximize your planning time,
if planning is not high on your priority list, there are other choices, Kona, some SUPs, longboards, etc...
it's your choice, like I stated for me, I'd rather go faster than slower, I'd rather plane earlier, point high or low, etc...
if I'm not planning - it's just not much fun for ME... But, when I drive to the beach with formula rig, and few other boards, %95 of the time I'm having fun and 'yes' I'm planning...
Popularity is a strange beast... jet ski are very popular too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
glad sergio likes the formula board
however, he seems a little closed minded
there is life after formula
you think it is the best cuz that's what u do
you are barely listening to others
and longboards WILL gain popularity
the JP new wide board may replace formula populairity
AND Tinho Dolleras (spelling) of calema in Florida has a really decent custom board
we are reading more and more about KONA , Serenity, and other light wind options
Starboard has been known to be innovators in many of these areas of light wind sailing
they are adding center boards to GOs
where i am formula people have their days, butt my longboard has more days and can handle variation like lulls MUCH MUCH better
ie donut discard other options - formula is one, wide free-ride is another, even KONA is an option
keep the mind and eyes open
good winds and peace too :-)
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First time short board? ejowsurf Ask Our Team 8 29th October 2010 02:34 AM
first time out on new board eric b 125 Free Forum 5 12th April 2010 03:16 AM
Setup i76 for first time speed board PrydeMan Ask Our Team 2 11th February 2010 03:02 AM
First time out on new board andyrj1 Do it standing up! The Stand Up Paddling Forum 14 14th July 2008 02:28 PM
New Formula board Guest Free Forum 2 8th August 2007 03:01 PM


All times are GMT +7. The time now is 03:24 AM.