Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 1st July 2011, 01:55 AM   #41
mcross19

I have owned both 159 and 162 (personnaly I prefered the 159). As for replacing a Formula board for recreational use only I think it is definitely the way to go, little things like the reduced tail width compared to a Formula make the board so much more responsive to foot/rail pressure, also the rounded rails make sailing it much more comfortable. I had the footstraps set on the inside setting due to having uk size 10 feet but I may get away with the outside ones withouth my heels dragging, that is something I will definitely try at a later date. I had the footstraps set to the mid position of the 3 also.

It planned through most lulls without coming off the plane the ones that I did come off the plane on, a formula board may have got through them but there isn't much in it.

The board is definitely quicker, a lot quicker on a reach than say a formula board, obviously not quite as good up wind but very capable of pointing quite high. Did not try a dead downwind blast but did get onto a broad reach a couple of times and then it gets supremely fast.

I probably had the odd gust of 15 knots and the worst that happened was that the windward rail lifted a bit due to me not being able to keep mast foot pressure, the board remained very flat and did not tail walk or get out of control at all.

As I said before I will try with my 8.6m Turbo and write another report then but I can't see it being anything other than brilliant as it just skims over the little bit of chop that I had. Just get the right fin for your weight/sail size and the board should be able to deal with what you throw at it.

Personnally I wouldn't use a 6.5 with this board as there is loads better boards to be having fun on when the wind blows to that strength.
mcross19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2011, 05:43 PM   #42
BelSkorpio

Thanks Martin,

You confirm that what I've thought so far.
Old 4th July 2011, 07:37 PM   #43
twharton

Can anyone recommend on online retailer for the Ultrasonic. Bought a Futura 141 3 yrs ago from Isthmus and love it (after I replaced to POS Drake fin) but need an even earlier planer for light summer winds here in the Florida panhandle. I know you would think in FL lots of windsurf shops but I live in Gulf Breeze (Pensacola) so Tampa is 7.5 hours, Jacksonville 6 hours, Miami 12 hours plus. Thanks in advance for any guidance.
twharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 05:19 PM   #44
mcross19

I don't know if the situation is any different there in Florida but if you read my earlier posts I had to wait four months for this board therefore you will miss those light summer winds that you so want the board for. Surely any retailor that stocks some starboard boards can order you in one of these? In the meantime you could pick yourself up a cheap formula board?
Old 9th July 2011, 01:48 AM   #45
hansspeed

I have sailed the Ultrasonic now for 2 months with sails from 7.8 Blade Loftsails to SwitchBlade 10.0 with Fins from 52 for 7.8 and 58 for the 10.0 Freerace .
I had 10 years ago a falcon 90 witdh and have same good feeling with the ultra ist a fantastic board who fits me better then the 127 Isonic i tested also .
My weight is 88 kg and sailed it in 9 to 22 knots no problem with the control and very very fast also with the 7.8 on it I can compete with the Isonic 127 .
Thanks Starboard for this fantastic easy and fast board I waited a long time for this miracle that give my the good feeling of windsurfing again
hansspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2011, 03:14 AM   #46
Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansspeed View Post
I have sailed the Ultrasonic now for 2 months with sails from 7.8 Blade Loftsails to SwitchBlade 10.0 with Fins from 52 for 7.8 and 58 for the 10.0 Freerace .
I had 10 years ago a falcon 90 witdh and have same good feeling with the ultra ist a fantastic board who fits me better then the 127 Isonic i tested also .
My weight is 88 kg and sailed it in 9 to 22 knots no problem with the control and very very fast also with the 7.8 on it I can compete with the Isonic 127 .
Thanks Starboard for this fantastic easy and fast board I waited a long time for this miracle that give my the good feeling of windsurfing again
Hans,

Could you tell us more about the conditions? Did you get the board planning all the time even in the 9k conditions, does the board plan through wind holes? I am interested in this board have two Simmer SCS freerace sails and looking for a formula type board.

Thanks for reply.

Perry
Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2011, 03:45 AM   #47
hansspeed

The boards keep on gliding also in 8 a 9 knots in Lulls it keeps going I dont like a formula because I have a Bad back, but on the Ultra its so easy its a combie off race formula and slalom.
It s a real winner I sailed it in heavy chop and flat water the control stays alright its feels very alive and loose on the water also with a 7.8 and when you put a 10.0 or bigger its a racingmachine a miniformula slalom cruising machine. all in one .
The best you can get .
I bought a 11mtr formulasail but never used it , I hope in the coming months to tested it with the 11 mtr.

Have good winds
hansspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2011, 02:47 PM   #48
mcross19

Can anyone tell me if they got a Starboard screwdriver included with this board, cos I didn't. Surely if you spend 1549 on a board you would think a screwdriver would be included?
Old 9th July 2011, 06:36 PM   #49
Sailboarder

Well, I bought a moutain bike for a bit more and it didn't come with Allen keys...
Sailboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 01:18 PM   #50
Crazyed

I have the ultra sonic for 6 weeks now and surfed on it about 7 times. Till now I have surfed on it with winds from 12 till 24 knots with a 10 mtr Gaastra Vapor (2011) and surprised many people that with this large set (board/Sail) I reached very high speeds. Till know the highest speed is about 64.03 km/h for 2 seconds.
I think it's possible to reach higher speeds with this board because it's very stable and easy to surf with higher speeds. with a little bit more wind and a smaller sail (Vapor 8.6 2011) I think it must be possible to reach the 70 km/h limit.
One thing: my weight is 125 kg and though I surf this board with a Select S11 41 cm, I don't know if this board is also stable with less weight and/or larger fin
Crazyed is offline   Reply With Quote