Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 27th May 2011, 11:32 PM   #11
Unregistered

So lets make boards even more expensive so numpties can catapult and not damage their boards !!!

Solution was here years ago !!! Polyethylene boards !!! Which BTW are virtually dyneema already. (Dyneema is high density spun polyethylene) But everybody wanted carbon boards to show their mates !!

If you cant stand the heat stay out the kitchen !!

Damaging boards is part of the sport !!! No supematter how tough you make them a heavy catapult will break something !!! Nothing is indestructible !

Its simple ; buy a board appropriate to where you sail and your skill level !!! Or buy a lightweight carbon and smash it up !!! But stop moaning about it !!!(and blaming manufacturer)

Its like a motorcyclist buying a fireblade and putting stabilisers on it ;then moaning about damaging it when they slide it down road !!! There`s loads of good tough (and relatively light) boards to choose from; just stay away from the super light stuff til you are ready !!!

Moden light boards are fantastic; a revelation but need treating with respect !!!
Old 28th May 2011, 11:55 PM   #12
nakaniko

Polietilene is heavy, dynema not. Heavier boards plane much less easier. No blame, suggestion, I mean a single sheet in the zone where we break the most.
nakaniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2011, 12:49 AM   #13
Unregistered

No it isnt !!! Its a better stength to weight ratio (far better) but its actually heavier than polyethylene.

Dyneema is high density polyethylene with molecules aligned to run parallel.
Old 29th May 2011, 03:47 AM   #14
nakaniko

ok, I'm not an engineer; pheraphs heavier but less thickness is needed; I've only read the box here http://www.witchcraft.nu/customs.php#3
nakaniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 02:14 AM   #15
Deja Vu

I too bought a couple of NP pads and cut them off the part that attaches to the boom. They have two clips each which hold them onto the mast -- just keep the clips away from the cambers.. I already had a two foot clip on (to the mast) pad and with the two NP short ones I can protect the board completely, including the nose from damage by the mast.
Deja Vu is offline   Reply With Quote