Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 27th May 2011, 03:46 PM   #11
nakaniko

Don't give up Niccolò, money problems are common at you're age, but I wish I had it, instead I've got (not much) more money but also spinal problems and 43...
What's yuor favourite spot? Bracciano Lake? Fregene, Anzio, Campo di Mare? It sounds a little strange you have problems of shallow waters there, as Tirrenian Sea is know for deeper waters compared to my muddy lagoon.
BTW, I'm 90 kg and with my old 125 litres board and 6,5 I was using the stock 40 cm fin or 36-38. so for your weight and a 6,2 peraphs a smaller fin would be better, sure way smaller with the 5,0 sqm sail; but imho at least with the 6,2 you can go on also with the fin you have if you correct your stance. But in my experience a fin bigger than needed causes tail-walking (not few times it happened to me as I'm a big-fins maniac...), but it doesn't push the board upwind, imho. Sure to not push too much on board edge when planing? Anyway the best thing is to ask some older rider to watch you riding, they will for sure understand where is the problem.

Last edited by nakaniko; 27th May 2011 at 08:10 PM.
nakaniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 10:15 PM   #12
PG

Typically you can take a saw and cut down the fin some 5 cm, then use a file and sanding paper (preferably wet sanding) to shape the new tip. This would at least make you fin fit your sails better.

Might also help some with preventing going upwind.
PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 11:37 PM   #13
Unregistered

Its definitely your fin; its way too big.(I use a 38 on 7.5 and its fine for freeriding)

As a general rule multiply sail size by 5 and add 3. (so a 5metre would need, (5x5) +3 = 28cm..

Also move harness lines back; helps get rig forward. (ie CoE forward of cetre of resistance will make you bear away.)
Old 28th May 2011, 03:12 AM   #14
nakaniko

I'm not so sure that Niccolo's father would be so happy seeing his son cutting the tip of the original fin of the board. And therefore making a new efficient leading edge is not a few minutes work, I've already done it but is a long work that need a lot of time. MMmhhh
So pheraphs taking a look to the huge "finnen" section of windsurfen in ebay.de can solve the problem in a decent way with 20 euro, the price of a pizza with friend. I've bought this way a lot of fins and other windsurf stuff
http://cgi.ebay.de/Xess-Slalomfinne-...item1e63d1310b
http://cgi.ebay.de/MFC-Slalomfinne-3...item27bb24135f
http://cgi.ebay.de/Weed-Duo-Cut-24-T...item20b9c9096c wonderful this one
http://cgi.ebay.de/original-Lessache...item20b9c935af
an other tuttle fins
Old 28th May 2011, 12:23 PM   #15
PG

Cutting down a fin is in my experience a pretty trivial thing, and works well, especially if you reshape the tip to be squared off, i.e. omit any nice pointy tip that is demanding to shape. That is, a new tip that looks more like http://www.select-hydrofoils.com/en/.../srx-freerace/ (can be even more squared off!) than http://www.select-hydrofoils.com/en/...o-series/ride/ .
PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2011, 05:29 PM   #16
nicolo.piccolomini

i dont think that cutting the fin is appropriate as nakaniko says. btw i sail at talamone, in tuscany, where the first 200 meters from the shore very from 1m depth to 50cm, and with small waves (30 cm in height) my fin touches the bottom when im between two waves. i have been windsurfing for 2 years now. i will show my father this thread and convince him that a new fin is essential. thank you
North Sails
nicolo.piccolomini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2011, 08:28 PM   #17
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Nicolo,
Do you know about "foot steering" and "railing" your board.
It sounds like you may be standing slightly off center on your board (on the upwind side)
or you are putting pressure on the upwind rail with your heels.
This tips the board so the upwind rail is lower than the downwind (lee) rail and your board does exactly what you are telling it to do. It goes upwind.
You must "rail" your board a little to go upwind when you are not planing (i.e. slogging), but when you are fully planing, you need to keep the board flat, or you need to position your rig a little differently to compensate (this is not fast).
I agree that the your fin is a little large, but having too large a fin will not cause your board to go upwind unless you tip the board slightly lee rail down and push very hard across the top to the fin.
This is how formula racers go high upwind, on very large fins.
Check that when you are planing that the same amount of "splash" (water from under your board) is coning out on the downwind side as the upwind side and the position along the rail is the same for both sides. If you are tipping (railing) your board upwind, the splash will mostly come out the downwind side and where the splash (if there is any) on the upwind rail will be foreard of the splash on the downwind rail.
I'm pretty sure the fin you have can be compensated for very easily, so the fin size is not your real issue.
If your fin was the issue and you were sailing extremely fast, you would be asking why the board goes
out of control and tailwalks (the classic symptom of having too large a fin.
Roger
Roger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2011, 09:47 PM   #18
Ken

Fin length depends on many factors. A 42cm fin on a 130 liter board may not be too big unless the board is moving at 20+ knots of speed. Certainly if the water is shallow, a shorter fin may be required. There is little relationship between sail size and fin size for a beginner or novice that isn't planing or just beginning to plane. Speed is the issue. In fact, the larger fin can be an asset in light winds, helping keep the board upwind while slogging or planing assuming there is no dagger board.

I use a 42 cm fin on my iS 111 (108 liters) with sails down to 6.6 while hitting top speeds of 31 knots (GPS). Would a smaller fin be better at these speeds? Sure, but upwind issues are generally not related to fins, but instead technique.

Roger's foot/weight placement suggestions should solve the problem. Longer fins can help get you upwind, but don't necessarily cause you to head upwind if your foot/weight placement is correct.

Someone out there has a good old weed fin and my be willing to sell and ship it to Italy.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2011, 09:49 PM   #19
COACHG

Nicolo,

You didn’t tell us if your problems occurred while planing or schlogging. Are you in the harness & footstraps or just using the harness?

I have to totally agree with Roger on this issue. Two things make the board turn up wind, windward rail pressure caused by too much heel pressure, or moving the center of effort (CE) of your sail behind the center of lateral resistance (CLR) on your board. Too large a fin will only make you tail walk.

While your fin obviously needs to be changed because of your water depth-I would tell your dad it is a safety issue-the 42 cm fin is not so large as to cause to cause major problems unless you were really powered up.

One issue I would address is your sail & board size if you are planing. You didn’t tell us what your 130 liter board was. Many 130 liter boards don't work well with sails smaller then 6.5 so a 6.2 sail may not be optimal for your board especially at your light weight. With too small a sail in planing conditions the board becomes very nervous forcing you to sail defensively. A normal reaction to sailing defensively is to apply too much heel pressure which sends you up wind. Also, if planing conditions I would not recommend you consider using a 130 liter board with a 5.0 sail. If 5.0 & 6.2 are your normal sail sizes you may want to trade your current board for a smaller board.

Coachg
COACHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2011, 11:43 PM   #20
nakaniko

Talamone is the spot where I sailed at lest 50 times in the summer of last 10 years. It's a nice flat water spot with common NW, some waves with rare SW. Yes first 50 metres are of shallow water, stay on the middle and avoid the big rocks covered of seaweed on the left-south, or the super shallow water nier the pier of the camping on the right-north.
But as it is a U shaped bay then you can sefely run untill the bay exit, also in the fatastic deep blue see if you're not alone and you're parents do agree. No necessary to come back every time in the shallow water zone, where you can also hit some bathers even if swimmhing is unallowed there (I know there are some changes know but 2009 was last time I went there).
Enjoy your summer in Talamone, what a nostalgia...