Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 9th June 2011, 12:27 AM   #1
ittiandro

Default Harder uphauling with 145 lts, 7.5 sail

Hi!

I normally sail ( or try to !) on a 145 lts board with larger sails ( Ezzy 7.5 or Pilot 8.5) because I am not advanced enough enough to tackle stronger winds yet.
Having made the transition from a 190 lts board, I find uphauling from the 145 lts much much harder and tiring, because the rig feels so much heavier and lifeless , even though I am in top shape and very strong ( albeit no longer young)
1.Is it normal for large sails in light winds to feel so much heavier and difficult to uphaul and move around ? Does the 145 lts, by itself, really make a difference in terms of easy uphauling, as compared to a higher volume boards ? Or is it something else?
2.I already have a 75% carbon mast , but perhaps I could lessen the weight of the rig even more by buying a lighter boom ( the one I have is an old one, probably 7-8 years old). How much weight could I shave off with a modern alloy boom or even a carbon one? Would it be worth-while?
3. Also, when the rig swivels on the universal joint, it doesn’t flip around as freely as I expected ( especially when I see other sailors) . This adds to the feeling of heaviness and lack of maneuverability of the rig.
Although the inner cylinder-shaped plastic joint of the mast-foot does not show signs of wear, I noticed that there is now almost a ½ gap between the 2 parts joined by the bolt ( which shows through it). Is it normal?

Thank you for your comments

Ittiandro, Montreal, Canada
ittiandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2011, 11:44 AM   #2
PG

Yes, big sails (7.5 and up) are heavy to handle. They are no fun unless planing.

Yes, uphauling and moving around on a 145 liter board is much more demanding than on a 190 liter board. The smaller board is really designed for planing windsurfing only!

No, there has not been any significant weight saving with new booms. And carbon booms are typically just as heavy as aluminium ones.

With regards to the mast foot, show it to some experiences windsurfer at your beach and ask for his advice!
PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2011, 03:03 PM   #3
nakaniko

1) Imho I agree with PG, even if with a 145 litres board 7,5 and 8,8 should be inside the suggested range of the board (what board?). But for sure downsizing from a 190 to a 145 is a big step so in the first times you can feel larger sails heavier, you'll feel it less improving. I'm a medium-advanced sailor, 43 years, c6-c7 spinal problems and I uphaul with no problemas a camless 7 batten sail over a 138 litres board, almost the same with the 9,5 (same sail type), even it the difference is noticeable. Also you could make some mistake in uphauling, check with an instructor and pay attention to your spine, uphaul bending and then extending the knees and not your back.
Anyway if the 8,5 is a Pilot from Gaastra, it should be lightweight sail; don't know how Ezzy you have.
2) Imho carbon booms are stiffer and gives more performance, but are not so much lightweight, many times not lighter at all, and for sure are much pricy, even too much for a lerner; on the opposite I don't know how old is your boom but as I know some of the older were heavy and espacially unconfortable, I've had for first boom a too flexible one with nasty twist lock old device, a nightmare; and they are often thicker and so less easy to handle, modern alloy boom are with smaller tube section and so way more confortable especially for people (like me) with not so big hands and long fingers.
3) I don't understand if the joint is mechanical or rubber, anyway if there some unexpected gap don't loose time, go to a windsurf shop and make them check it and repair it. I waited too much with an even famous branded one, the result was sudden breackage of the joint in the middle of the Talamone bay, causing an hole in the deck of the board and many problems for coming back on the shore...
Al this opinions imho and as normal windsurfer.
nakaniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2011, 10:09 PM   #4
Ken

Good comments above.

No need to go to more carbon. No gain for you and lots of $.

If there is more than a couple of mm of gap between the bolt from the rubber hour glass to the base of the extension, then there may be a problem with excessive wear or a loose bolt inside the cup; and possibly a future broken bolt. I don't know what "1/2 gap" means? As recommended, ask a fellow windsurfer to take a look.

Uphauling the new board will be a little more difficult because your platform (board) is smaller, but it won't take long to learn. However, your weight could be an issue. If you are 200 kg, then the balance and stability will be a lot more challenging than if you weigh 70kg. Use your legs as much as possible and not your back (squat rather than bending at the waist).

Last edited by Ken; 12th June 2011 at 04:54 AM.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 04:39 AM   #5
Windman

Good morning, ittiandro,

With regard to uphauling, you might consider using the Easy-Uphaul, available from Chinook dealers:

http://www.chinooksailing.com/produc...roducts_id=146.

Can verify that uphauling big sails is much easier.

Hope this helps.
Windman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 04:28 AM   #6
ittiandro

Hi!

Thank you all for your hints.Much appreciated. I have already ordered the Easy-Uphaul a few days ago. Hope it really helps, because I discovered that back-pain and hard uphauling are the trade-offs I unwittingly ( and regretfully) fell into when I made the transition from my super-stable ( and, I thought, a bit slow) beginner's board (Starboard Rio) to the more advanced Tabou Rocket.

What attracted me to this board is not only the very good deal I had on it, but also the hope that its light weight ( about 8kg as compared to almost 14. Kg of the Rio, i.e. almost 40% less ) would make the Rocket easier to sail and to plane in light winds, thus enjoyable also by relatively unexperienced sailors like me . Actually I regret my decision, because I have come to realize that these SUPER PERFORMING ( and SUPER-EXPENSIVE !) "'PLANING" short- boards, w/out a daggerboard as they are , are a real pain in the neck ( and in the back!) unless the winds are strong enough to plane. In moderate winds and sub-planing conditions, they are actually as good as a drifting log, or at least one that doesn't move too much ...
I am really dreaming about a board which is a good compromise for the average sailor between the stability, the sub-planing performance and the tracking capability of a traditional long-board ( or a beginner's short-board, at least ) on one hand, and the responsiveness and planing performance of advanced boards like the Tabou Rocket . But I think these two world are never to meet. If I am wrong, I'd love to have your suggestions and comments.

Thank you

Ittiandro
Old 13th June 2011, 06:34 AM   #7
joe_windsurfer

you are correct
short-boards do NOT schlogg well at all
light winds are good for long-boards, formula boards or giant sails on giant short-boards
i still uphaul 8.5 AND 10-oh sails
when i drop the 10-oh in the water i rush to get it out before the sleeve fills with water
the wider big boards also do NOT do well if there is one foot chop {too small 2b called waves}
my old BIC cuts waves better than the 79 cm short board !!
thus i too am considering a planing long-board if i was to invest in a new board again !!!
the small shortboards are what killed the industry not so long ago
i was hoping the SUPs , the KONAs, Phantoms, big GOs , etc would revive the fun factor for the average joe windsurfer like myself !!!
however, do NOT give up on the 145 - when the wind is right - it will be a GREAT board !!!
http://joewindsurfer.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
joe_windsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 08:59 AM   #8
ittiandro

Thank you Joe,

I neither have the intention (nor the money!) to give up on my the 145 lts Tabou for another more suitable board and this motivates me to persist in order to improve my skills. This way I can have a return on my investment !
I wonder, however, what are the " right" winds which can finally make my Tabou experience a blissful one!
I weigh about 80 kg,( which already puts me at a disadvantage compared to 65 kg sailors) What minimum windspeed is required for me to get planing on the board, given my weight, without having to use the more cumbersome 7.5 and 8.5 sails? Ideally, I'd like to use 6 or 6.5 sails, no more. Do I have to wait for... hurricane winds in order to get planing with my board with smaller sails? Hope not.
Any suggestion as to which board would take me off the hook, without being too much of a beginner's board? I wouldn't want to go above 180 lts. Would a 160 lts be a good compromise, compared to my 145? Problem is no 160 lts have a daggerboard, as far as I know.

Anybody has any comments?

THank you

Ittiandro
Old 13th June 2011, 09:01 AM   #9
ittiandro

Thank you Joe,

I neither have the intention (nor the money!) to give up on my the 145 lts Tabou for another more suitable board and this motivates me to persist in order to improve my skills. This way I can have a return on my investment !
I wonder, however, what are the " right" winds which can finally make my Tabou experience a blissful one!
I weigh about 80 kg,( which already puts me at a disadvantage compared to 65 kg sailors) What minimum windspeed is required for me to get planing on the board, given my weight, without having to use the more cumbersome 7.5 and 8.5 sails? Ideally, I'd like to use 6 or 6.5 sails, no more. Do I have to wait for... hurricane winds in order to get planing with my board with smaller sails? Hope not.
Any suggestion as to which board would take me off the hook, without being too much of a beginner's board? I wouldn't want to go above 180 lts. Would a 160 lts be a good compromise, compared to my 145? Problem is no 160 lts have a daggerboard, as far as I know.

Anybody has any comments?

THank you

Ittiandro
Old 13th June 2011, 06:58 PM   #10
nakaniko

Sounds like there is some confusion in your windsurfing ideas, so best suggestion could be to spens some time in a windsurfing center and share your doubts with an instructor.
BTW, I'm 90 kg, so 10 kg more than you, but with an almost old widebody freeride (Fanatic Sting Ray "150" really 138) lt and a camless 8,5 I think I can plane with 12 knots. With the same camless 9,5 pheraphs with around 10 knots.Nasrrow mast sleeve and easy to uphaul, actual Hotsailsmaui Speed Demon 9,7 can be rigged on a 490 and have a short 230 boom.
So with some skill you, -10 kg and with a slightly bigger board could plane with less wind.
Camless sail as I've read are less stable in wind holes and kcannot handle stronger winds, but if you don't want to dare going out in 20 knots with a 9,5 or even 8,5 like pro's and skilled slalome riders, who cares?
My other founded data are about this: 6,5=15+ ktn, 5,3-5,5=20 ktn, 4,5=25 ktn.
Below 10 knots, or pheraphs 8-9 for you, planing is very difficult unless you rig an enormous 12,5 on a golden priced 550 or 580 mast etc etc. So final my choice for superlight winds as we have in Venice for most of the year was a choice without compromises: Starboard Serenity, 460x61,5, 257 litres, think at a canore with sail. It glides with 2-5 knots, it RUNS with 5-10 knots; over 10-12 Serenity wants his-her noble spirit respected, and ask to be replaced by a common wideboard for planing....
Yes, 460 cm are not a joke, but in my boat they are not a problem. But if it is too much for you and you want something more planing, but really gliding in subplaning conditions, starboard has the solution, even if I don't now if boards like the Phantom are good for your level, I hope for Roger or somebody else to come here and give their professional suggestion.
Last, yesterday a new 2009 Mistral Ventura 343, not much different form has been sold on ebay.de at 339 euro, and I was really in panic wanting to buy it even if outside Venice I cannot store a board longer than 3 mt for many reason...

Last edited by nakaniko; 13th June 2011 at 07:18 PM.
nakaniko is offline   Reply With Quote