Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 25th June 2011, 12:43 AM   #51
sergio k

Sean, totally agree with you on proposed changes:
That's the reality of the sport since equipment got so much better, 1-2 fins, 1-2 Sails,
one boom,one mast, one board. Actually, 99% of the time I use 1 fin and 1 sail, second set is collecting
dust. On sail color, also good idea, for marketing, visibility and also safety.
One thing, on sail sizes, make sure you take in consideration windsurfer's size,
for example: my current max sail size is 10 m2 and small 9 m2, since I'm 62kg 165cm,
what works for someone 100 kg + doesn't apply to us lightweights...
I would also remove registration board restriction to ANY 1 board you bring to the event, that
would promote development. In my view, registration, freezing design for 2 years, no customs, etc..
doesn't help to grow discipline just allows bigger brands to monopolize and make a bit more money.
Example, we have no restriction like that on fins, and in the last 5 years that's where big changes/
improvements were made by small guys like Kashy, Ifju,etc., etc... we all benefit as design trickle down
if proven good.
Old 25th June 2011, 02:35 AM   #52
Ken

From Unregistered - "I don't understand why some people have to sell or promote the discipline they are involved with ?? Fair enough organise an event a race or something but this craze some enjoy of over promoting / trying to get new sailors involved baffles me."

Why would you or anyone care one way or another about a faction of windsurfing promoting itself because they find it fun and exciting? "Over promoting"? This is one thread and it's not often that formula is discussed on this forum.

No one has to buy our representation of formula, just make up your own mind and do as you wish.

My primary focus on this topic has been that formula is a great option for those that live in a part of the world where the wind is frequently light and they want to plane, plus it's not as difficult to handle the big rigs as many folks think. For me, racing is secondary to having a board that can plane fast in light winds.

Sean's comments above are right on, and anything that could help increase the number of "formula racers" is good for those that love to race formula.

If it wasn't for formula, and the design innovations to make boards go upwind and downwind fast in minimum winds, the whole "wide board" phenomenon may not have existed today. That would have been sad. Nothing wrong with the old "long and skinny" designs if you have the right wind and location, but the wide body slalom, freeride, formula, beginner and freestyle boards have done wonders for windsurfing.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 04:26 AM   #53
Unregistered

sounds sour grapes to me, I guess unreg bought a load of formula gear only to find out there are no events at his local spot)
Old 25th June 2011, 07:23 AM   #54
Unregistered

Question

I guess Formula sailors have to promote discipline so they have sailors to beat !!!

As far as

If it wasn't for formula, and the design innovations to make boards go upwind and downwind fast in minimum winds, the whole "wide board" phenomenon may not have existed today

That is plain nonesense. Boards were going wide way before Formula ;Formula just took it that step too far.

And the Leucate thing

I drive coast road passing perhaps 6 or 7 venues virtually every day between Argeles/Franqui. I cant remember last onshore/easterly. If its less than 10 knots nobody sails.Around 13 knots kiters will be out.Around 15 knots kiters and WS.Above 30 knots generally a few kiters and loads of WS but I have never seen any formula;on beach,on Etang or even on a car; in last 5 years. Would be madness sailing formula down here, even on Etangs. No doubt on race events they do but I have really never seen any freesailing.
There`s none in shops either !!! Do a search on shops around Leucate and I`d have a bet not one of tem has one in stock;board or sail. Its dead here too !!!
Old 25th June 2011, 09:00 AM   #55
COACHG

Okay.....Formula's dead some place in Italy. And.......? What's your point? Because they don't sail formula at your spot it shouldn't be allowed or promoted?

I understand why formula is not popular is some spots as I stated earlier, but I don't understand why it should not be promoted.

Coachg
COACHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 04:28 PM   #56
Unregistered

Question

Starboard only promoted Formula to sell 1 metre wide boards and it was at cost of development of boards with real light wind performance ?? What would old round boards be like now had they had same promotion/development but SB (well Cobra) were not leaders in hollow div 2 board construction.

There has been icredible market manipulation by SB;hats off to them. World domination slipping a bit ow though ??? Not all of us were assimilated !!!

Leucate is in France; virtually no Formula around here.
Old 26th June 2011, 04:31 PM   #57
Unregistered

Cool

Actually its in Catalonia; but thats not recognised as a country unless you are a Catalan !! (Which I am )
Old 26th June 2011, 06:33 PM   #58
BelSkorpio

Like I said, I understand why you guys in Leucate are little or not interested in Formula, I really do.

But you do have good conditions for formula in Leucate, when the tramontana is silent and the eastern wind blows out of the sea. I've done it many times.

In fact, that's the great thing about Leucate. It's good for all disciplines of windsurfing.
I always use almost everything what's in my surf trailer over there. And that's quite a lot

Last edited by BelSkorpio; 26th June 2011 at 06:37 PM.
BelSkorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011, 12:55 AM   #59
Unregistered

Cool

That sort of sums it up then ???

We have (in your opinion) good conditions for Formula but you hardly ever see them out.

Is been light onshore (South East) today. Only people out (WS) were at Racou on thermal onshore breeze with perhpas 5.5`s for 2 hours this PM. Rest of coast deserted of WS ???

Honestly I`ve lived here 7 years and never seen one sailed ????

When there`s little wind there`s not enough for anything;when its windy(ish) folk sail on 5.5`s..

I`ve used my wave board on inland lakes, doesnt make them good for it !!!
Old 27th June 2011, 11:03 PM   #60
Ken

It's not surprising that while a formula board might be a good board to have in many windsurfing locations, most windsurfers don't want to make the move to the big gear. It's like I said, it is costly, plus most intermediate sailors think it's too physically demanding to manage the huge sails. Others may get their fill of windsurfing and have no desire to add more days to their sailing.

Those of us the find formula fun to sail have been pretty clear with our praise of the board on this thread for the sole purpose of eradicating the myths about formula. Just because no one is sailing formula in an area doesn't mean that it wouldn't be the right call part of the time.

We probably have 150 days a year where an SUP would be the best thing on the water. However, I have no interest in paddling around on flat water so I won't be buying an SUP (a few guys in the area do have them and are out when the wind dies). Just my personal choice, not right or wrong as some people might suggest.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote