Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 30th June 2011, 07:21 AM   #71
mark h

[QUOTE=
Point nobody has made is cost.

MarkH rigged an 11 metre;most likely on a 520 100% carbon mast and perhaps a 260 (??) carbon boom.Put them on a wideboard with a 70cm fin ??? Might be wrong but there`s no way on earth your average recreational sailor will spend that type of money for the particlular day that kit works on unless he`s already into racing (or plans to be?) Value of all that kit?? 3 or 4 thousand ????

???[/QUOTE]

Just avoid putting masses of FW, did not pay fortunes for it. I only get new slalom or speed kit, but my 2nd hand formula kit was cheap.

2nd hand F161 500 2-years ago.
2nd hand (but nearly new) North 550 mast 150 4-years ago.
2nd hand North Warp 11m 150 4-years ago.
2nd hand HPL 240-310 carbon boom 250 5-years ago

Total 1050 (less than the cost of 1 x new board)

The mast and boom will (hopefully) not break and last some time. And I change my Formula board and sail every 3-years for a newer 2nd hand model. I have not included the cost of fin's as I am a bit of a "fin bitch" and have loads collected over the years

P.S. I think you might be right though, less new FW kit is being sold. Not a bad thing as this drives 2nd hand prices up

The toys:
iSW44 - - iSW49 - iSW53 - iSW58 - iS107 - iS137 - F161.
North Warps: F2012 5.2m, 5.7m, 6.3m, 7m, 8m, 8.6m, 9.5m F2006 11m.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mark h; 30th June 2011 at 07:24 AM.
mark h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 04:00 PM   #72
Unregistered

Question

But somebody had to buy it new. If nobody does ( racers stop racing? ) the 2nd hand market will disappear.

By sounds of it you wouldn`t buy Formula kit new ??
Old 30th June 2011, 09:34 PM   #73
Ken

Where I live, selling used formula gear has been somewhat easy, but the prices are also pretty low. There always seems to be someone that has watched "us formula sailors" blasting around that are jealous and want more planing time, so they scoop up the used gear.

However, those of us that do buy new, may at some time opt for something else if formula racing dries up. The ultrasonic 147 offers a lot of appeal because of its light wind capabilities. I guess unreg. will also dump on this board since a D2 would be more fun in under 8 knots and there is no reason anyone needs to be planing in 8-12 knots. I suspect the board will have a range of 8-20 knots, which will be great for many of us around the world.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 11:24 PM   #74
sergio k

To discuss FW, one has to realize that is has 2 user groups,
racers and req. users. Judging by Miami scene, only 10-15% are racers.
Racers do update boards every cicle or so; req. users, some will never buy a new board, but 25% do.
For me, my current board is so good, I just don't see a reason to buy a new one now, so unless there are some improvements or mine gets damaged, I'm not in a hurry. It might be like that with many, SB160 and 161 are still winning races, etc...

On new light wind offerings:
Even with latest in light wind planning toys like 147, most that do req. formula will not switch to it because,
all you going to be doing is going on the reach BAF, and that gets boring after a while (we have this huge
bay to explore and if you have something other than FW, you'll be stuck in one corner,
while every one else is criss-crossing the bay). Actually I see it purchased by people that 'hate' idea of formula but want to plane early, I know few people like that.

On popularity:
Racing: there're actually a lot of small, local races around the world and it looks like it growing,
just look FW ranking on formulawindsurfing.org and that list is bigger this year and doesn't include some races. Issue with big events, is economy, flight baggage restrictions, lack of industry and PWA support,
it's just too expensive to travel, we use to get big crowd from San Frans and East Coast for our winter races and don't see them anymore, but they still do race locally.
For req. users: In right locations, usually, light winds, not too shallow, supportive windsurfing community, numbers are growing, I know in Miami they are.
Old 10th July 2011, 04:44 AM   #75
Unregistered

yep
as a dodo.
Old 19th July 2011, 04:19 PM   #76
Winterly

I don't know about every country specifically.
best regards
Winterly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 08:16 PM   #77
ghrohrs

Smile FW Dead?

Maybe, we'll have to wait and find out.
ghrohrs is offline   Reply With Quote