Old 2nd June 2011, 10:25 AM   #1
troll

Default Fin fit for iSonic

Hi,

I'm contemplating purchasing a used iSonic or perhaps Futura. The question is whether Tectonics fins fit without sanding/shimming into these boards. I'll be sharing fins with a mike's lab, which takes these fins without modification and I want to be able to switch fins easily.
So, are starboard tuttle boxes consistent and standard with tectonics? Are all iSonics similarly consistent? This is in case I decide to get another iSonic in future.
During a single day, I like to be able to switch boards and fins without rerigging, so this is an everyday issue.
The reason I ask is that I'll be driving to pick the board a fair distance and want to make sure ahead of time. The fin fit issue is a deal breaker if I can't share the fins between the boards.

thanks!
troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 06:06 PM   #2
nonopr

Well:
For once you can always fit a fin with out sanding the tuttle base on the fin by using a sanding file in your iSonic if it does not fit correctly. I have found that from time time the fin box in the isonic have a bit of resin residue easy to clean out with a file.
Mike does a great job and only uses the best fin boxes so there might be some resistance in getting the fin that fit in mike's lab and the iSonic.
One recommendation I an really give you is that techtonic fins don't do any justice to the isonic potential. They are for power up to overpower downwind slalom racing and the nose of the isonic tend to stick with techtonic fins. I will recommend a Canefire from Vector fin www.vectorfins.com. your isonic will be flying nicely over the water.
I have use Mike's Lab boards for over 18 years and are the best custom boards but I do love my iSonics.
nonopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 09:53 PM   #3
Ken

troll,

I have an 08 iS 111 and a Tectonics Tomcat 42 fin. As I recall, it fit right out of the box. Also, I have not experienced a sticky nose with the fin. However, I just use the board for freeriding and not slalom racing. I use it with my 8.4, 7.6 and 6.6 Maui Sails TR race sails. It's a little large for the 6.6, but does ok. I weight 78kg and have gone up to 31 knots of board speed on a few occasions with the 6.6.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 02:44 AM   #4
troll

I just picked up a used 2010 isonic 101. The board looks beautiful, but all my fins are super tight. Can I sand inside the finbox at all? Is this a horrible idea?? Should I just sand down then fins?
But then, I have to shim them back up for my other board...
Help! I want to sail tomorrow...
troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 03:04 AM   #5
nonopr

You can use a metal rasp files to get in the box where the fin is tight. They sell all different kinds rounded, flat, like needles etc.
I have done it with no other consecuence than my fin fits in all different boxes in all my boards.
Enjoy.

Last edited by nonopr; 7th June 2011 at 03:07 AM.
nonopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 03:59 AM   #6
Ken

troll,

Sometimes the fin box will have some "burrs" or other "not normal bumps". However, take your time and do it a little at a time. Over do it and fin will sink deep into the box. Roger from Starboard suggests rubbing the fin head with soap, then stick it into the box (pull it a little tight with the bolts), pull it out and see where the soap has been rubbed off or smugged to see where to sand (either the fin head or the box).

As nonopr says, use a rasp, sand paper will take you forever. Work on your best fitting fin first, assuming there is a slight difference on how they fit.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote