Old 5th June 2011, 07:27 PM   #1
jcd77

Default Best board for 6.5 and 8.5

Hi looking for a board that can blast with a over powered 6.5 and the can handle an 8.5 on lighter wind days with enough float to get me back if the wind dies in Sydney harbour.

Thinking of Futura 122 or Isonic 117? will be using with Ezzy Infinity's... thinking about the Futura as seems to have wide range... will it be fun with 6.5m (currently on enjoying it on a 102/62 board)

Any other recommendations...?

PS... fits in with Quad 86, RRD HCW 75, RRD FSW 102.... and 90kg

Thanks
Cam

Last edited by jcd77; 5th June 2011 at 07:33 PM.
jcd77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 04:20 AM   #2
Ken

Cam,

I think either board would meet your needs. Enough volume to uphaul and slog, and can manage the sails you suggest. Although a 6.5 (20+ knots of wind) on the iS 117 can be a rough ride and is pretty small for the iS 117, although this depends on the water state in which you typically sail.

The decision depends on your expectations. The iSonic is more technical to sail and master, but it is fast, exciting and will plane earlier than the Futura. The Futura will also be fast with a much smoother and forgiving ride. If you are a hot rodder, pick the iSonic. If you are looking for a more relaxing ride, then the Futura is the answer.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 07:21 AM   #3
jcd77

Default Thanks Ken

Would love the Isonic... but thinking 10years ago when leggs could still hold it together for hours on end maxed out!!! Did have an SX 105 which went well but with a body thats 40+ and a brain that thinks it 21... after an hour or so physically done in!

Thinking the Futura and some techique will trump those boys on iS and full race gear... but little skill in my neck of the woods... nice to see faces when you are chagring past people on a fsw board and RAF sail...

Just in case I take a chace and got the iS route (and shorten my sessions!) What size would you recomend for 6.5 that would also take a 8.5?

Cheers
Cam
Old 6th June 2011, 11:57 PM   #4
Ken

Cam,

The iS 107 (similar to my old 111) works great with a 6.6, 7.6 and 8.4 (my sails). The sweet spot is the 7.6. Slogging the 8.4 is not friendly for me and will be a challenge for you at 90kg. The 117 may be a better call if you sail in gusty conditions (where you occasionally slog), but the sweet spot will more likely be the 8.5.

One thing where the iS stands out is in early planing and acceleration. This is where the Futura will get smoked if side by side with the same rig and skilled sailors. Once moving, the futura will likely keep up with the iS, but you won't get as much planing time on the futura if you sail in gusty conditions.

Legs will take more of a beating on the iS, but a 40+ body isn't old if you can make time in the weight room. I am 66 and can handle 90 minutes pretty well in 15-20 knot winds on my iS and 7.6. As you grow older, your "normal" level of fitness will degrade more quickly, which means that you have to continually increase your off the water fitness/strength routine. If you don't have one, it's time to begin.
Old 7th June 2011, 10:56 AM   #5
jcd77

Default Thanks Ken...

and for the inspiration to get back in the gym... take your point! Work harder to keep playing hard... had to happen some time!

Might just give the Is a go... nothing like going from screaming reach to full lay down and feeling that slingshot out the other side... yeha

Regards
Cam
Old 7th June 2011, 08:28 PM   #6
Ken

Cam,

In north Texas, we sail all year long. This year, only once in January, but from February until now = 40 days. I am retired, so when the wind blows, I want to be ready to sail and not burn out in 30 minutes. So if I am not sailing, or golfing, and not too sore or worn out, I hit the weight room.

I occasionally hit a nice lay down jibe and slingshot out the other side, but it's actually pretty rare. It takes years of practice to nail them every time. Always something to work on..................

Enjoy the iS, you will have a blast. Get a good fin, it will make a difference. I use a Tectonics Tomcat 42 on my iS111 and love it, but there are plenty of good fin options out there. Ask and others will make some recommendations.
Old 11th June 2011, 08:10 PM   #7
troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcd77 View Post
Would love the Isonic... but thinking 10years ago when leggs could still hold it together for hours on end maxed out!!! Did have an SX 105 which went well but with a body thats 40+ and a brain that thinks it 21... after an hour or so physically done in!
Yeah, I'm sort of in same situation - trying to get back to the "glory" days of youthful windsurfing. Ken's comments are spot on. I'd like to add that it helps to keep your gear as well trimmed as possible right when you start sailing. I notice that I burn a lot of energy moving my harness lines around. I started to measure and write down (on the sailbag the setting of the lines so I don't have to fiddle with them.

In the past, I'd be able to use "muscle" to overcome poor tuning, but I find that now I just don't have the gas tank. Maybe that's the way of the world, the older males have to use wiles and experience to keep up with the young bucks?
I must admit that being mindful and celebral takes away some of the fun of windsurfing, as I've always like to turn off my mind while sailing.
troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 05:03 AM   #8
Ken

The older you get, the wiser you get (and maybe a little poorer). Perfect trimming makes life do much nicer. I have adjustable outhauls on each of my dedicated booms for my 5 largest sails (6.6 - 11.0). No reason to muscle the sails except in extreme gusts.

Anything that makes it more fun and can extend TOW is a good thing.
Old 12th June 2011, 07:01 AM   #9
troll

I would add two more things:
-bodyfat - even 5 pounds extra weight seem to make windsurfing more effort. I tend to use boards right on the edge of uphaulability, so the extra load really impairs planing and jibing.

-flexibility- with yoga it's pretty easy to make yourself more limber. Better balance and posture seem to have helped my sailing a lot and this is independent of aging.
troll is offline   Reply With Quote