Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 7th August 2011, 02:43 AM   #1
Marisa

Default Board size and sail

Hello,

I have a board, 2011GO 155. I would like to know the better size of the sail and the master?
(I have a master 465 and two sails 4'2 and 5'7), but the second sail is not very well

Thanks,
Marisa
Marisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011, 06:04 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Marisa,
For the 2011 G0 155 your sails are quite small.
What is your weight in Kgs or lbs.
Your 465 mast (this is a very odd mast length as windsurfing masts are usually 370/400/420/460/490/520/550cm) is also several sizes too long for a 4.2m2 but
could be about right for the 5.7 m2 (420 is more likely the correct size).
The GO 155 could be a wonderful board to start out on if you are past the very
basic beginner stage where you would depend on a centerboard and rig steering.
Your Go 155 may have the fin slot in the center for a removable center fin. This
is a very good feature as you can use a center fin right at first, then put the plug in
and sail the GO 155 as a shortboard.
If you have experience with larger sails, the GO 155 can be sailed with any size that
suits your conditions up to about 10.0 m2.
What windspeed do you most often sail in?
Hope this helps,
Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 06:46 AM   #3
Marisa

Hello Roger,

My weigth is about 55Kg.

The mast (465) was given for a friend....

Yes, the board have two fin's...and thanks for the suggestion.

I don't have very experience with large sails, the "bigger" that i used was the 5.7"

The windspeed is a little short, in the morning not more than 10, and by afternoon aroun the 15. I think that is not very wind, right?!....

Regards
Marisa Pedrosa
Old 9th August 2011, 11:32 AM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Marisa,
OK... 55kg. (121 lbs.) 4.2 m2 and 5.7 m2 should be OK as you are learning.
It might be good to try to find a shorter mast (probably a 400 cm for the 4.2 and a 420 cm
for the 5.7 m2.
Your 4.65 mast would seem very old and probably very heavy.
Not something a 55 kg. sailor should need to deal with.
The GO 155 will work fine in 10-15 knots of wind.
5.7 m2 for 10 knots..... maybe the 4.2m2 for 15 knots.
Roger
Old 11th August 2011, 06:27 AM   #5
Marisa

Hello Roger,

One question... do you have some table (or something similar) where I can see/ consult the size of the sails vs. mast?!... I have some doubts about what using (mast and sail), and if I have something , will be more easy for me choose the mast and the sail.

Thanks
Old 11th August 2011, 07:29 AM   #6
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Marisa,
Nearly all sails have recommended "best mast" and often a suggested "compatible" mast.
This is normally written on the foot of the sail near the tack (where the downhaul connects).
Sometimes it's written on the sail bag as well.
It will list the luff length in centimeters. Often the luff length will be longer than the suggested
"best mast". When the luff length is longer than the mast, you are supposed to use a mast
base extension to make up the additional length.
Here's a "for instance".
If the sail says the luff length is 470 cm, then the recommended best mast will be a 460 cm
IMCS 25 (maybe 24-26). This is the most common mast size and this size mast fits sails in the
6.0-7.5 m2 range most often.
If you go to the sailmakers websites, they will give you the sail size, the recommended best mast,
perhaps a compatible mast, and the luff length.
Check this link:
http://sailworks.com/specs_all.cfm
Since you may be looking for smaller sails, in the 5.0 m2-6.0 m2 range, check the Retro 5.5 m2.
It suggests the sail was designed to rig on a 430 cm IMCS 22.5 mast.
The "best" mast for the Retro 5.5 is the 75% carbon Joystick 430 cm with an IMCS of 21-25.
The IMCS number is the "stiffness". The lower the number, the less stiff and more easily bent a mast
will be.
Smaller sails use shorter, softer bend, masts as they don't need the high stiffness and longer length of a
longer stiffer mast.
The shorter the mast the less force Marisa will have to exert to pull it out of the water when uphauling.
Same for the carbon content..... the higher the carbon content, the lighter the mast.... easier for Marisa
to uphaul.
My suggestions to women of all sizes is to purchase the lightest mast their budget will stand.
Women tend to take better care of their WS equipment so even a slightly more fragile, but lighter mast
suits them better.
Women often have suggested that they have less upper body strength than a guy of the same size, so this is another reason to get the shortest, lightest mast that works with the sail you choose.
Hope this helps,
Roger