Old 6th March 2007, 04:14 AM   #11
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Default RE: wave boards?

Quote:
septy wrote:
so, with bigger fin (eg. 26 or 28) 6.0 works OK on K79
for bump & jump and freeride?
Correct but please bear in mind I still don't have a 26 or 28 cm crossover/freeride fin yet to prove or disprove it.
The crossover 24 cm fin felt a bit too small whereas a 30 cm freeride fin (from Kombat 86) felt a bit too large for my taste @65 kg with my NR 6.2 sail and the freeride footstrap's setup. Since you're heavier than me, I would strongly suggest you try several fin sizes before buying if you can.

IMHO : in my humble opinion.

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2007, 03:43 PM   #12
septy

JM

thanks for info
please tell me more about K79 and K86. Is K79 ok for 18-20 knots with 6.2 ? what you think?

thanks
septy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 01:15 AM   #13
Ola_H
TEAM

Quote:
Jean-Marc wrote:
Septy,
Ola,

The crossover 24 cm fin of the K79 feels a bit small with a 6.2 sail when the footstraps are set on the freeride mode (outboard and back). Something in the 26-28 cm range would be far better IMHO. However, when footstraps are set on the wave mode (inboard and front), it's OK, althought a pure wave fin would shine better for true waveriding (softer & more twist than the crossover fin).

Cheers !

JM
Pretty much what I guessed, that the crossover 24 would kind of work for wave application with a 6.0 (6.2). I've used my K87 with a 6.3 and the Natural 25 and 26. Thats probably the ideal setup for waves, but there's always a question if the upgrade in turning performance relative the crossover 24 is worth the money. In any case, I think you will like the xo24 for onshore kind of jump and backside riding oriented sailing. The more freerideish you 6.0 B&J sailing is, the more sense a 26 crossover will make (or even 28 for pure freeride sailing with straps out). But since you will get the xo24 with the board, you can simply try it out and know you have several choices if you don't like it. A natural 23 is pretty much "a must" though since it will expand the range of both boards so much.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 03:34 AM   #14
septy

Thanks Ola
If JM tells me few words about his impressions about K79 (hopefully positive) , I got more information I expected!

cheers!
Old 10th March 2007, 05:30 PM   #15
Eugene

Send a message via MSN to Eugene

Hi

I bought my new board a Pure Acid 80 (2006)
I'm 52kg and my question is can I use my 6.5 sail (NP Expression 2005) on this board?
Thanks!
Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2007, 10:05 PM   #16
Ola_H
TEAM

Nice new board! I think that with your light weight, you could actually get by with a 6.5 on the PA80. You'll need a bigger fin though. Since you allready have the sail, you have in any case nothing to loose by trying. Do you maybe have a bigger fin for US box lying around?
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2007, 10:51 PM   #17
Eugene

Send a message via MSN to Eugene

Yes I know I'll need a bigger fin so I'm going to buy a bigger one. 24-25cm will be ok? the original fin(22cm) will be ok when I use my 3.7 or the 4.7 the but it also will be ok when I use my 5.8?
Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2007, 06:42 AM   #18
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Septy,

Sorry for my delay, I was travelling around. I'm afraid I cannot elaborate much as I just did a quick spin on the K79 of a pal with my NP NR 6.2 sail. Wind was 15-20 knots. I was on my K86, 6.2 sail and 23 cm wave onshore fin (North Shore 9.0", much more surface than the Drake natural wave 24 cm fin; *). With my 65 kg, the NR 6.2 covers nicely 15-20 knots, so really I don't know for your heavier weight.

As I said above, the K79 stock 24 cm crossover fin is fine with footstrap's wave setup but too small with footstrap's freeride setup (lots of spinout) with a 6.2 sail. Then, the K86 stock freeride 30 cm fin felt fine on K86 but is a bit too big on K79, especially during manoeuvers (tight turn, slashed turn, tight jibe). K79 felt one size smaller than K86 for sure, especially with the thinner rails and narrower tail. My gut feeling is that you can even try a 6.5 sail on K79 (with 28-30 cm fin), but not much, owing to it's limited tail width. I regularly use K86 with either a NP RS1 6.6 (15-20+ knots) or NP Jet 6.9 sail (12-18 knots; both with stock 30 cm fin which is king) without any problems.

Eugene,

Agree with Ola, you can try a 6.5 sail on PA80 since you're pretty much feather weighted, but to increase the bottom range as well as decent pointing upwind, a classic 24-25 cm wave onshore or Drake Natural 26 cm wave fin (**) might do the trick to cope with the extra power from the sail.

Cheers !

JM

(*) K86 report : http://2006.star-board.com/forum/askteam/read.asp?ID=5804
(**) http://www.drake-windsurfing.com/natural_waves.htm
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2007, 06:41 PM   #19
septy

Hi JM!

thanks for info.
Old 19th March 2007, 09:14 PM   #20
phz

Septy,

I just received my K79 technora and was able to try it with a 6m2 sail, a Naish AMP. I weight 63 kgs, sailed on a lake with choppy conditions with an irregular wind up to 15 kts, with the freeride settings. The board floats well for me, I pull up the sail without sinking, but it is true that the fin is a little small. You just need to pay attention and not put too much pressure on it. I will buy another fin. I am thinking of a select FSW 27 or 29 cm.
Take care.
phz is offline   Reply With Quote