Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 19th August 2011, 05:12 PM   #11
joe_windsurfer

http://www.mauisails.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3425

AND forget the "formula" where one divides by 1.4 !!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
joe_windsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 01:42 AM   #12
Diplomat

Cool

Still plenty of arseholes on Forum then !!!
Old 20th August 2011, 03:45 AM   #13
Unregistered

Wink

Calm down everybody !!!

Joe
I wasnt freaking out; I swear more when I do that..
Could well be that Maui Sails measure accurately but I suspect all manufacturers claim to measure their sails accurately and perhaps they do in their own "accurate" chosen manner but there is obviously some discrepency accross manufacturers.

I was well aware of the fact that boom/mast length are not the only parameters to be taken into account but they are a guide. ( Just been looking at a North 6.5 (???) with luff of 480 and boom 200 ??!!! wonder if they justify their measurements aswell ??? Is there an industry standard for measuring sail area ???

My point was and still is there is a lack of objectivity in our sport involving even the simplest of specifications..

Dont get me wrong; as I stated in the first post, the Pursuit is a fantastic sail..The was no criticism of any single manufacturer..

Couldnt log in for some reason.,. (Perhaps SB have banned me freaking out !!!)

Good winds.

Floyd
Old 20th August 2011, 03:14 PM   #14
UnregisteredFloyd

PS
I also said "as rigged"..

Find (my) Pursuit works better rigged on 470 mast length (10cm ext) pulling sail to 469 (ie with a 1cm gap betteen sail pulleys/mast ext pulleys) and fully down when overpowered. And yes its on a good spec mast ! (460 Tush 100% C or Gun Terminator 75% C,rigs identical on both;Tush obviously lighter)
Old 21st August 2011, 04:56 AM   #15
joe_windsurfer

Default aha - the issue may be the mast !!

MS is considered HARD top
GUN is high end CC or constant curve
and TUSH is definitely FLEX TOP or WRONG for MauiSails/MS !!!!
see http://www.unifiber.net/2011/mast-selector

my point in following up this post is:
MS sails are good sails for the money and well supported
if one has ANY questions or criticism i suggest you use their forum
that was all
and i was not freakin out either floyd
i need no swearing for comedy nor freakin out

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
joe_windsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2011, 03:51 PM   #16
Farlo

Windsurf is not less objective than garment for instance. My shoe size varies from 41 to 44 according to brand/models and so on with pants, shirts, jackets. May be an inherent unaccuracy in textile manufacturing or changes happening between design and production, plus each brand may have his own method of measuring. Anyway you can't compare different sail models by their "exact" surface, whatever it is. And for similar cuts, boom length seems a better raw indication of power. IMHO the top is designed for low drag so a few more cm do not matter that much. This been said it is true that board volume could and should be accurate, although it is just one amongst many factors. Over the years I've been trying dozens of 100ish boards. Some were real pontoons and others semi-sinkers (for a stable bodyweight of course).

Last edited by Farlo; 22nd August 2011 at 03:29 PM.
Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 09:49 PM   #17
Ken

I am delving into an area where I have no expertise, but it seems like you could take photo of an unrigged sail from above, laying flat in a specific sized space (say a 6 meter square box or smaller for smaller sails) outlined with a line.

With the photo and some computer software, it seems like one could come up with a program that would instantly give you the "sail occupied" space inside the box, thus providing the exact size of the sail.

This way, everyone making sails and using the same software would be able to measure sail size consistently and accurately. A universal process, isn't that refreshing.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 10:55 PM   #18
UnregisteredFloyd

Wink

Nice one Ken..
Perhaps we could put Farlo`s shoes in it too !!!

Good winds

They still aren`t letting me on !!!

Always though Tush were constant curve (and Gun ??) NP are flex top ??? Learn something everyday...
Old 25th August 2011, 05:45 PM   #19
Unregistered

Question

Think some posters are plain thick !!!

Original poster didnt say his sail measured big ; he did not criticise his( or any other sail for that matter). He pointed out ,quite rightly, that there are discreprencies in measuring AREA of sails acrross manufacturers...(and sometimes within ).This is a fact....full stop...Why the advice about masts ???? Whats that got to do with AREA. I have a Gaastra 7.5 GTX; in size terms it equates to an 8.0 in other manufacturers (or other years perhaps) Its something we learn to deal with by using sails but there should be more uniformity in measurements.

Poster no.19 ; are you poster 10 ?? If not try and be original...

There should be more objectivity in our sport...Fact.
Old 25th August 2011, 08:17 PM   #20
carlosgp5

The sail is not a triangle, the width of top (from the leech to the tip) will completely affect the sail area.
I think so, anyways...
Cheers
carlosgp5 is offline   Reply With Quote