Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 3rd March 2007, 11:37 AM   #1
AJ

Default Tectonic for isonic

Hallo guys, thinking abouth getting a 36 tectonic fin for my isonic 101, has anyone tried
that combo?...Does it work well?

thanx!
AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2007, 06:05 PM   #2
Egor

Default RE: Tectonic for isonic

They are the best slalom fins in the world and yes that combo will kick ass. If you can afford it get a couple. They will last a lot longer then the board if you look after them.
Egor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2007, 12:01 AM   #3
steveC

Hi AJ,

I've been using Tectonics fins for over 8 years now, and I can side with Egor's view that they are arguably some of the best slalom fins around. The real questions are which model and what size would work the best for you. What general conditions and sail sizes are you considering in the match up?

I really like the Goldwings, and I've got the 34, 36 and 38cm sizes, but I find that the 34 has been my favorite of the bunch. However, I haven't been matching them up with an iSonic, so it's hard for me to say which size would best optimize the performance of iS101.

Really, I would think that Ian Fox can probably give you the best recommendation here. I'm sure that he has matched up most of the leading fins in the marketplace to the iSonics. It's my guess that he would recommend the 34 or 36, but that's just my take on the situation. Yet, if your thinking about sailing really max winds for the board, maybe the 32 would be in the mix too.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2007, 06:24 AM   #4
steveC

Looking back to my earlier post above, I don't think I was as clear as I would have hoped. In the final paragraph, it might appear that I put Ian in a position to recommend a Tectonics fin. While, that would apply to my personal recommendations, I wouldn't necessarily think those constraints would apply to his feelings or recommendations. The optimum brands and appropriate sizes would be his choice. Yet overall, I don't think that the size ranges I that thought pertinent here are out of the ballpark.

Old 5th March 2007, 04:36 AM   #5
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hi AJ,

Tectonics can be a good fin choice for the iS101, especially in the small/mid sizes (both of fin and sail combo). How "good" depends to some extent on your rider weight, sailing style (very heavy fin loader, or lighter style, gliding) sizes.

Sailing angle (pure downwind or reaching/Fig8/upwind) also influences the choice of fin for a given rider/board/sail combo.

For medium "all round" conditions on the wider tailed iSonics, many riders prefer a liftier tip fin than the (relatively) fine tipped classic Goldwing. From Tectonics, you might find the Falcon F-8 an even better Tectonics option for the iS101in larger sizes or lighter winds.

[Sidebar..

[ In general, as the tail (and overall) width goes wider on the newer boards, the fin can be put into higher load situations because of the increase in stance leverage, plus in harsh powered situations the rider can push on (where on a traditional -narrow/er - slalom, they might start to back off).

So as the fin length gets longer, the way the fin behaves hydrodynamically under load (usually governed by construction/material as well as foil profile/thickness) becomes more of an issue.

This is not just a pure flex issue, it is how the flow over the foil performs under load, which creates twist as well as flex. Quite a complex situation in itself. Obviously, at what point in any fin type/model size range (of any fins) excess flex starts to lead to loss of foil efficency and or control (and the fin starts to become "less ideal" ) depends significantly on the specific fin design and construction and in turn clearly relates to rider load (on that fin in those conditions).

In molded carbon fins, the manufacturer can locate specific layups to control and influence twist as well as flex, and in really specific designs can vary that to suit size/load/rider etc. In machined materials, like G10, the material really is more generic ; the flex/twist character can only be modified in the panel material (raw state) and not within an individual fin.

With smaller fin lengths, G10 (and similar) works well to take moderate to high loads, but as fin lengths - and load leverage over the fin) increase, the foil thickness on modern (fast) fins doesn't get thicker at a corresponding rate, and sooner - or later - you reach a point (combo of load and length) where this starts to become more of an issue than other constructions.

So, in summary, using G10 or any construction, a 36cm used by a lighter rider in "gliding mode" in lighter wind will behave considerably differently to that same fin (board/combo) used in massive overpower mode by a huge, powerful heavy loading rider on a wide tailed slalom.
Finding the "ideal" match is the key.
. ]

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2007, 08:13 AM   #6
steveC

Hi Ian,

A very interesting response to AJ's concerns. Definitely, very informative and extensive in nature. It clearly offers a great deal to think about, and it raises a lot of pertinent question at the real heart of things. It's got me thinking about my possible alternatives. I like this kind of detail.