Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 21st September 2011, 03:56 AM   #11
Todd Hume

Ok so finally gave those gloves a go. To be honest they were not bad. They definitely made sailing with blisters more comfortable. They did increase forearm burn a bit. The leather palms are not as grippy as my own skin and so i had to grip a bit harder at times. I was able to manage this quite well by making sure that i relaxed my hands when back in the harness lines. Other than this i was not bothered by the feel of the glove.

I wont be wearing gloves when i sail but it is good to know that if i waste my hands i can chuck them on for a little protection.
Todd Hume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 04:12 AM   #12
mikerb

Blisters are caused by a constant rubbing of the skin as opposed to calouses which are areas of skin that thicken in response to constant pressure. If you are getting blisters you must be allowing the boom to move within your grip so I believe the answer for you is to learn to let the harness take the strain and just use your grip on the boom to guide it not grip it furiously. Gloves are only necessary if it is so cold that your hands go numb......it is a compromise because you will keep your hands warmer but put more pressure on your forearms/tendons and this will be most noticeable if you are gripping the boom like a gorilla!! My tip....learn to hold the boom just with crooked fingers and relax your grip.
mikerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 05:15 AM   #13
Fast

Default The solution!

To keep your hands blister free use a footcream "cracked heel cream" from Compeed.
Use it everyday after sailing! Fantastic results!
Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 02:11 PM   #14
COACHG

I don't always wear gloves, but when I do I use these.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=10952
I only wear gloves when racing with formula setup when I know I will have to be pumping. I have a Concept rower & lift weights so regular sailing is usually not an issue for needing gloves. I originally tried sailing gloves but they never felt right. Also sailing gloves are not really designed to be fully imersed in the water where waterski gloves are. Sailing & waterski golves are not generally thick enough to cause forearm fatigue, that is more an issue of cold water gloves that are thicker.

Coachg
COACHG is offline   Reply With Quote