Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 9th September 2011, 12:53 AM   #1
Todd Hume

Default Blisters

Blisters suck. I appreciate them as reminders of the epic sessions scored, battle wounds of sorts, but at the end of the day... blisters suck.

I'd love to hear your theories on how to prevent them or how you manage these things once you've got them.

Big winds to you all!
Todd Hume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2011, 03:22 AM   #2
Ken

Gloves. I have been windsurfing for 27 years and NEVER had a blister, callouses - yes.

Recently I found some great gloves from West Marine. They are West Marine's brand of sailing glove. No break in period and they are wearing very well and no hand fatigue.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=10969
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2011, 03:31 AM   #3
nicolo.piccolomini

with all respect i would not recommend gloves for 2 reasons:
the first is that you do not feel how the sail is reacting as well as when you are bear-handed
and the second is that gloves are for girls. what you have to do is do lots of activities where grip is involved (i myself do gym and rowing) so you start to get hard hands and you no longer get blisters.
however if you sail in really cold conditions gloves are the answer
North Sails
nicolo.piccolomini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2011, 04:00 AM   #4
Unregistered

so, now u r a BEAR and gloves are for chicks ?
i like my chicks bare too
Old 12th September 2011, 02:09 AM   #5
Ken

I guess I am a "girl", but a smart one. Better grip on the boom, less arm fatigue, never a blister, and I have great feel on the boom. Not everyone likes gloves and if you have been bare handed for some time, gloves will feel unnatural and will feel bulky. However, if you stick with it, they become unnoticeable and comfortable.

With age comes wisdom.
Old 12th September 2011, 03:51 PM   #6
Farlo

Mittens will also protect your palms and are less bulky than full gloves. The grip of your boom might be a bit abrasive as well. I would make a similar comment for boots. After cutting yourself on sharp stones or shells, you may appreciate them. I know some sailors just can't windsurf with boots or don't feel the board. This always surprises me.
Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 12:34 AM   #7
Ken

I also have worn boots for the last 27 years. I sail mostly in lakes and most of the launch areas are sand/mud with rocks & glass. From all the cuts I see on the bottom of my boots, there is no question that they are a good idea. Less feel of the board? Possibly, but I don't seem to have a problem. No cut feet, no blisters, no raw places, no jammed toes.

If you only sail off a clean sandy beach, I can see why you may not want boots.
Old 13th September 2011, 04:25 AM   #8
fataux

i haven't try to use a glove before, but last mount (i guess) one of my friend (who is new to the sport) forget his gloves on the opposite beach (where we rest for a while), and as he couldn't plane well yet, he ask me to bring them for him. when i got the gloves , i try to wear it for transportation and omg, what a pain in my forearm muscles. may be because i'm also a little bit of tiered but it is really hard to grab the boom, and to be able to grab i have to use excessive power which drain my arms power.. nothing is as comfy as a bare hand i guess
fataux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 08:43 PM   #9
Ken

Fataux,

90% of the gloves out there are as you say, "a pain in my forearm muscles". It's hard to find gloves that don't require an effort to bend the fingers and are thin enough to not bunch up under your fingers. They must also have a wrist strap to keep the gloves from being pulled off.

However, when you find the right ones, the extra friction/grip of the glove material reduces the forearm fatigue as compared to bare hands. Murry Marine used to make a thin glove that I used for 15 years, then no more production. I tried Hobie gloves for a while but they only worked fine after several days of break in. Now I love the West marine gloves.

Last week, a buddy of mine stopped by to borrow some duct tape for his blistered hands. Our first windy day of the summer/fall season and his hands were toast.

I am not trying to sell anyone anything, just relating my thoughts on the subject. Make your own decisions.
Old 14th September 2011, 04:16 PM   #10
Todd Hume

I bought a pair of Dakine gloves just before heading off on a windsurfing trip i did last year in case i killed my hands. I never needed them and so they've never been used. Fully worked my hands over in the last couple of days so i'll give em a try.

So here are a couple of tricks i've heard on the beach:

Dishwashing gloves and duct tape - some random fella reckons that if you waste your hands get a pair of dishwashing gloves cut off the fingers and tape them on with a strip of duct tape around the wrist. He reckons that they provide plenty of protection to raw flesh and are still plenty grippy...

Superglue - A mate who did his time competing around the world in the 80's and 90's reckons that hospital grade superglue was the perfect thing for emergencies. Just glue the flap down or the cut shut and away you go... Apparently the body can heal through the bond...
Todd Hume is offline   Reply With Quote