Old 3rd October 2011, 03:29 PM   #1
KenT

Default Harness

Ive been windsurfing for about 7 months, ive got a 75 litre board and can tack and gybe and get in the footstraps. But not the Harness. Is this how long it normally takes to get in the harness, and any tips on how to get in the harness?
Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 04:45 PM   #2
Unregistered

this IS one skill you can practice in lite winds
also, what helped me was: i used older REALLY long harness lines to feel what it is like
those lines were floppy and had to almost be put on manually - better to have stiffer lines that stay

now i get in and out of harness lines without looking
lift up on toes and hips forward and sit back
to get out i twist my hips away from mast slightly while upon toes

most people harness first

i am still fruss stapped
Old 3rd October 2011, 04:48 PM   #3
Unregistered

oh yeah - forgot to mention

do NOT be afraid to fall into sail while hooked in
just keep harms straight out to ensure hook stays away from sail
if under the sail - just unhook and get out while staying calm
Old 3rd October 2011, 11:40 PM   #4
Farlo

Hi Ken, are you talking about a 75 liters or 75cm wide board? Wow... I've been learning on short boards but not that extreme, some 120L;-) and it took me one/two years to get used to the harness. IMHO it's better to start with a waist harness combined with stiff lines. Tie them firmly to make them protrude at ~45 from your boom so that you need only small movements to hook or unhook. One issue at the beginning is loosing the lines constantly. Don't hesitate to "seat" a little bit even with a waist harness. It is not the most gracious stance but will keep the lines under tension, or the hook out of the way. Length shall not be short for sure, but not too long either for the same reason. There is no universal trim. You have to make trials until you feel safe and comfortable.
Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2011, 03:22 AM   #5
fataux

IMHO, you have to get into the harness when the wind is very light, like <10 knots. Your muscle memory will grow. Use a big board (if yours is 75cm wide than its ok) and a small sail with less battens (maximum 5 i guess) like 5m2 or may be 4,5. try to fall in both sides, never let the boom go, always hang to it even when catapult (it will save you and your kit). start hooking in a 45 degree to the board, and while speed up, u have to close the sail, that means you have adjust your stance. That means you have to become parallel to the board when in speed but at an angle when moving slowly (adjust your position according to the sail angle to the board, try to stay parallel to the sail).

The length and the position of the lines are important. Do not use a short harness line, because you have to spread your arms resulting a closer stance to the sail, and not an upright position for the sail, may be resulting in catapults, secondly if you have a short line you have to lower your boom to be able to reach the line, resulting horizontal lines and not be able to commit to the harness and the boom, so a lot of weight go to the board, not able to plane early or not able to plane, spin outs,..

Contrary if you have long enough lines, your sail will be more upright, your stance will be far from the sail, you can commit to the lines, you can use higher boom, all resulting fast sailing, early planning, less spinouts

And why u get into the straps if you're not on the harness anyway, either harness first then go to the straps, or first go to the front straps then harness, then back strap, but to be able to use smaller boards i think you get to use to get into the straps when the board have enough speed (just before or after the planning)
fataux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2011, 01:31 PM   #6
Unregistered

Cool Basher

Haha theres no way you should spend 1 to 2 years getting to a harness! I got on mine strait away. And if you know how to read you can see that his board is 75l. learn on a big board first with the harness. harnesses are essential for waves freestyle and slalom as it helps develop strong wind techique. stay low and lean back and youll be fine
Old 4th October 2011, 11:18 PM   #7
Farlo

Well, I know it is a bit strange but I've been windsurfing without harness for quite a while at the beginning. Planing on a short board and going into the straps were no particular issues, but it took me a couple of years to find the right tuning. Of course you should learn harness first and then straps but in practice you do what you can. From time to time I still sail unhooked for a few tacks. Normally I don't train more than five minutes because it's not fun, but it can be pretty useful in survival mode.
Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 02:41 AM   #8
BelSkorpio

The first 2 tips of Unregistered (post #2 & #3) say it all.
Keep on practising.
Once you're used to the harness, you won't want to windsurf without it anymore.

Power jibes and wave riding will force you to learn how to plane also without the harness, but that's another story.