Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 30th October 2006, 12:46 AM   #11
henryone

Default RE: Serenity

Hi,

Following this threads the Serenity seems as a tippy anc challenging board to sail. I am 41, 95 kg and an agressive intermediated sailor.

Before jumping into a Go155 (with sails from 7 to 11.5 mts) I had previosuly sailed a F2 Xantos and long long ago I used to competitively race in DivII.

When I saw the pictures of the Serenity it was love at first sight. I ordered a Wood edition that will arrive a month from now.

Here is my question: How hard is to sail the Serenity? Is it too challenging? How long would it take for me to start enjoying the Zen (i used to have 20 yrs ago when light wind sailing was "a mystical experience")?

ThanX
henryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2006, 04:26 AM   #12
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Henryone,
If you sailed a Div. II way back when, I don't think it will take more than a few minutes for you to "adjust" to the Serenity.
It's quite stable and easy to sail across the wind, and on a close reach.
It's even pretty easy to sail when beating, if you "rail it" pretty much like a Div II board.
Due to the super long waterline length, the transitions may seem a bit difficult right at first, but your Div. II skills will kick in and you may find the "ZEN" of gliding along in almost no wind occurs with far less "learning curve" than you are anticipating.
It's just like all longer, narrower, boards with fairly round bottoms. You stay over the centerline.
I found the Serenity a bit easier to sail with a smaller fin or a weed fin.
The big wide Drake 70 cm that comes with the board probably takes you upwind better, but until you learn to control a fin that large, on a narrow rounded bottom platform, keeping the board form doing little
"snap rolls" from upwind to downwind can be challenging.
It's not like it drops you in the water, it's just that you are subtly "railing" the board and when you get close to flat the board kinda "clicks" over to the other rail so you have to be real careful when the board is nearly flat.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2006, 07:08 AM   #13
henryone

Thank you very much Roger,
I can??t wait to get my hands (and feet) on it. A month seems an eternity to wait for the serenity ;-)
henryone is offline   Reply With Quote