Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 27th August 2006, 08:05 PM   #1
RonnieS

Default Wetsuit perishing

Hi, my NP Series 5000 is perishing badly at the shoulders. Ditto a GUL shortie

This is where the wide plastic coat hanger I use exerts pressure on the neoprene.
I hang it up inside out. The rest of the suit is fine.
Anyone else have this problem?
Are wetsuits best NOT hung up?

RonnieS
RonnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2006, 10:57 PM   #2
GEM

Default RE: Wetsuit perishing

I just hang mine across the bar / tube at the bottom of the hanger (like a pair of slacks rather than a shirt). No problems. If you just crumple it up, it'll get pretty rank...
GEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 11:36 AM   #3
Philip

Been hanging mine up for many years. Always wash after use. Weigh plenty when ringing wet so hang in warm place for faster draining. Only ever had 2/3 or 3/4 mm suits, so not the bulk of heavier winter types.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 02:09 PM   #4
PG

Hi Ronnie,

Got exactly the same issue with my NP 5000 5/3. Lots of small parallel "tears" in the shoulders. And I have always used a decent hanger, but this is the first suite that suffers like this. Could it be because of the VERY soft (and comfortable) neopren they have used?

regards
PG
PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 03:17 PM   #5
kennatt

Hi all I know of at least four sailors including myself who have had the same problem with the shoulders on np suits its nothing to do with how you hang them its a defect in the material. my local store informed me that np considered a recall of the suits but decided against it. We have all had our suits replaced under warrantee np know they have a problem with the material.My warranteed suit is going the same way so that is to be replaced, after only six months ,so a warranteed warantee. It might be that if np don't sort the material out I will never need to buy a suit again. I suggest that you get onto your supplier and if you are within the warrantee period ask that the suit should be replaced or repaired.I used to get two or three winters out of np suits,Yes the material is very soft and comfortable but should last longer that one season. We pay good money for suits we deserve better service . The only way to get that is to complain,don't let np fob us off all the best ken
kennatt is offline   Reply With Quote