Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 14th August 2014, 09:58 PM   #1
unclekoen

Talking Make my Startboard Start go fast

To answer the "why" question: just for the fun.

Last week i bought a Startboard Start (2005, 150l, 235cm, 85cm) for my girlfriend. The progress she is making is incredible.

My opinion in the Start: this board would also be fun for the experienced surfer.

I surfed it with a Naish Stealth 6.5 in normal wind conditions. Once planing, it didn't go fast as i thought. It feels a bit heavy. I really think the Start could go faster. I noticed water was going trough the dagger slot. This look like a big brake to me. Also i surfed with the standard 41cm Drake vin.

My ideas:
- Water going trough the dagger slot. Solution tape it with duck-tape.
- Mast position, all in the end.
- Footstraps also in the end position.
- Fin. Big question here. What fin length should i use for an Neil Pryde RS Racing 7.8 (most used)???

Please help choosing a good fin.

I will keep you informed.

Surfing should be fun, this is total fun. Hehe
Old 15th August 2014, 05:36 AM   #2
COACHG

Something around 48 cm should be fine for a fin, but you may want to use a freerace sail instead of a pure race sail. You want constant power to push the heavy board though the water, not a slippery sail designed for top speed.

Coachg
COACHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2014, 07:23 AM   #3
unclekoen

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACHG View Post
Something around 48 cm should be fine for a fin, but you may want to use a freerace sail instead of a pure race sail. You want constant power to push the heavy board though the water, not a slippery sail designed for top speed.

Coachg
Thanks for the answer.

I don't have a freerace sail. And it is also not the intention to buy a new sail for this board.

I am just looking for the best fin size for the Start with my 7.8 race sail. Thinking of a freeride, or freerace fin.