Old 24th March 2007, 04:37 AM   #1
lhowemt

Default Help with board

HI All-

I am looking for a board to replace my SeaTrend World cup. I know, really old, but I live in Montana and sail here only a half a dozen times a year. That board just rips, but I think it is time to upgrade. I sail 90% of the time here a 6.2, and want it to also sail a 5.2 overpowered. Our sailing is lake sailing, choppy, and it is important to be able to stay upwind, jibe beautifully, and it would be nice to be able to keep standing up when the wind dies. Sounds great, eh? I am a good sailor, sail all over the gorge, but don't do tricks. So I sail well, but I don't want to have to work hard on this board, if I'm going to sail gusty and unreliable wind, I want it to be fun. My biggest complaint about the Seatrend is that it slogs poorly, and when the wind drops a bit it is a real pain to keep moving before it picks up again. I weight 185.

I'm a bit worried about the S-type, might it be a bit too much of a race board?

No need for bump and jump, pretty much straight sailing, but it must jibe nicely. That is the best part given that we have no swell.
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2007, 08:57 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: Help with board

Hi Ihowemt,
The S-Type 115 woould be my suggestion as a replacement for your Seatrend.
The S-Type has all the things you seem to want.
It's pretty fast, jibes pretty well, handles chop well and really like fast back and forth reaching, but it will go upwind fairly well also. The stock fin is pretty good, but mine spins out some, so maybe a fin upgrade and you should have an easier to slog board that's as fast (if not faster) than your old Seatrend.
It almost sounds like a wider board (Isonic perhaps) would be better at planing early and slogging, but I'm not sure you are ready for such a giant leap in technology.
The Carve 111 or 122 might also be worth considering.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2007, 09:57 AM   #3
lhowemt

If I was ready for some new technology, what would you recommend? I want to go for what is now what fat skis did for skiing. I sail 2 other boards, one of which is pretty new. when I go to the gorge I sail my brothers spare board, which is usually a 2-3 year old open ocean. I have a friend who started sailing and got a Rio, and I took it out one day (here in mt) just to avoid being skunked. It was riding that thing that I new I wanted a new board, and probably a starboard, and probably pretty fat. Most other local sailors who actually buy gear have the newer fatter boards.

Still same recommendation?
Old 24th March 2007, 08:31 PM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Ihowemt,
If you want a wider board to go with your Seatrand, specially for lighter wind and flatter conditions, one of the mid size Isonics might be very good.
Since yoiu have other boards for the Gorge in nukin' conditions (the OO) the Isonic 122/133/145 might be very good, but you will need to get some larger rigs to get the full benefit of the wider fast boards and their early planing capability.
If you want to stay with boards that really shine with 6.2-5.2 m2 rigs then the Isonic 111/101 might be better, but won't have the early planing capacity and will still be tough (but not as tough) to slog.
These aren't the greatest jibers, but with a little learning curve they jibe pretty well.
The S-Type seems to be the best replacement for your Seatrend, as it's more an all around board, but it won't plane as early as the Isonics but jibes better and is not quite so "speed" oriented.
I apologize for my assmption (in my original post) that you wanted
something to replace the Seatrend, rather than a board that's
quite different.
Sorry not to be more specific here, but I'm trying to recommend something that works in light air Gorge conditions as well as on your lakes there in Montana.
What's your primary focus...?
Going fast...
Great jibes....
Smooth in knee high chop...
Early planing in < 14 knots...
Hope this helps,
Old 24th March 2007, 09:52 PM   #5
lhowemt

Hi Roger-

Thanks for the info and questions.

This board is to replace the Seatrend, in that I want to sail my 6.2 down to 5.2 on it. It wouldn&#39;t necessarily have to go down to the 5.2 well, but I sail the Seatrend down to the 5.2 and if still overpowered I switch to my other MT board, a Mistral Ecstacy. So the target sail size is 6.2. Even though it is to replace the ST, it doesn&#39;t need to sail just like it, I think the new boards probably offer way more than the old ST. My brother has told me that all the new boards are so different, nothing new will be like the ST. That is OK assuming the new boards/technology are "better". I do not want my new board for the gorge, lakes only. The thing I love about the ST is the early planing, but it sounds like that can&#39;t quite be found in either the S-type or isonic. Let me prioritize my needs better as you request

1) Early planing in 15->20 knots (I won&#39;t go out until it is OK for the 6.2, BTW it is a Loft Lip Wave from last year). I need early planing so I can catch a gust and get planing and continue planing when it backs off a bit and not fall off the plane right away.
2) Good jibing (doesn&#39;t have to be easy, I can rip fun jibes on the Seatrend so maybe this isn&#39;t as much of a factor since most people consider those to be poor jibers, especially compared to new stuff, so maybe any of the new boards would jibe better?).
3) Upwind capability (ST is a beast to keep upwind)
4) Slog

It sounds like you think the following boards would be good for each of my priorities.

1) Isonc 111 (or perhaps the 122 to plane earlier and slog better?)
2) ??? Either one better than Seatrend?
3)???
4) Isonic better than S-type

Speed is something I enjoy but don&#39;t consider it a high priority.
Our lake chop is nowhere near knee deep, more like a foot or so, perhaps I should consider this flat sailing.

How does the Carve fit into all this? I don&#39;t even know how to classify this lake sailing. Freeride, crossover, ???

thanks a ton

Old 25th March 2007, 01:16 AM   #6
steveC

Hi lhowemt,

I&#39;m not a team member, but I thought I would offer some thoughts from my perspective.

Given your situation, I would recommend concentrating on a slalom board in the iSonic line. While full on slalom boards offer somewhat of a greater initial challenge, I think that payback in the end would be more satisfying overall, particularly when considering the flatter water conditions at your locale. Although a valid argument could be made for some of the other models, such as the S-Types or Carves, especially since your sail focus isn&#39;t centered on fully cambered race designs, I&#39;m of the belief that friendlier no cams (or even wave sails) will still allow you to extract the extra performance characteristics of a full up slalom board. Without question, you will be able to find better windward performance. Moveover, you would be able to fully tap into benefits associated with higher aspect fin designs normally matched to slalom boards. Personally, I would never be without a least one slalom board.

Regardless of your final direction in the end, picking the right sized board will be a crucial consideration. Sailing fresh water conditions makes it all the more important to have enough volume to give you a viable slogging capability. Yet, because your sails are on the smaller side, one would have to question going with too much volume. All things considered, I would recommend targeting boards in the 110-115 liter range. If you were to open to the benefits possible with larger sails, it might be of value to consider a higher volume board in the 120-125 liter range. But, if you&#39;re firm in your resolve to stick with smaller sails (6.2 and down), I would doubt that a higher volume target would offer tenable results.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2007, 04:06 AM   #7
lhowemt

so how were last year&#39;s isonics? I&#39;ve found one online, 115, wood for $1300. Seems like a really good deal for me. I can&#39;t even find any online stores that carry this years, or they are sold out
Old 25th March 2007, 08:48 PM   #8
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Ihowemt,
Last years Isonic 115 is probably just what you need for your MT lakes.
It&#39;s very fast, for it&#39;s size, jibes OK, and eats up small chop pretty well when you get everything tuned.
$1300 sounds a bit pricey for a close out board. Have you looked on the used board market?
Hope this helps,
Old 26th March 2007, 03:16 AM   #9
lhowemt

Do you have any web used board sources to recommend? Or other new web retailers. Every place I&#39;ve seen this years wood isonic it is $2000, so $1300 doesn&#39;t seem too bad in comparison. But I also haven&#39;t seen anywhere with this years board actually available. Are they a hot commodity, or is it a bit early for them to be out?