Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 30th March 2007, 07:06 PM   #11
Randy

Default RE: Hypersonic 105

I think the reason it wasn't continued was that it was not a big enough seller. Had it continued to sell in big numbers, I'm betting they would have kept the line.

The hypersonic line has developed sort of a "cult following" status - a fairly enthusiastic, but rather small group of sailors (like me) that liked it a lot. However, there were lots of guys who either didn't like, or hated it, for some reason or other. I know a guy who bought one of the H105s several years ago, and has almost never sailed it. It just wasn't big enough to provide as much float as he wanted. (I may buy his board someday) So it was just one of those things were it probably didn't appeal to enough people. After the first year, the 105s were very deeply discounted, so dealers and distributors had a hard time selling all the boards they ordered.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2007, 08:42 PM   #12
SteveM

"The HyperSonic program has enjoyed the highest attention ever and along the way, become the world's best selling board. " From the Starboard website http://2004.star-board.com/products/hypersonic.asp

This contradicts with what you say, Randy, that it was not a big seller. But either way, no worries, I was just curious as to what changed their minds about the hull shape "redefining the future of windsurfing" only to be discarded a few years later. I still have no issues, would just like to know the reason the Starboard designers moved away from that idea. Maybe they haven`t - I see on the homepage under "the board designed for me" appears a pic of the underside of a hull with similar features, but with a daggerboard - I`m assuming this is one of the new 320/380 Race type boards which look interesting. I would really like to see the 320 up close, but I don`t think the SA imorters will order any in - Most windsurfers are now fully dedicated to shortboard sailing here, very little Formula activity and the RSX sank like a stone here.
Thanks for all the insights and opinions here, you guys have been helpful, now to go form my own opinion, forecast for Sunday looks promising..
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2007, 09:36 PM   #13
Randy

You're right about the "world's best selling board" for sure. I recall that. But that was the first year, and dealers/distributors in the US at least way over-ordered the H105. They could be bought for prices of $700 or less. (BTW - when they say worlds best selling does that mean to distributors or to end users?) I'm only guessing, but I suspect it did not continue to be a big seller in subsequent years (the deep discounts on the H105 had to hurt sales of later models.) Had it continued to be the worlds best selling board, I would see no reason why they wouldn't continue it. In the closeout sheets the various dealers show from time to time, there were (and still are) always Hypersonics available.

There was a pretty long thread *board initiated some time ago explaining why they dropped the Hypersonic. While a good attempt at explaining it, in the end, the explanation seemed rather muddled. I do recall the overstocking issue being mentioned and discussion that the board line has to continuously be "rationalized" whatever that means. (My interp. - wasn't selling very well after 2 or 3 years, but I don't have any real data on that.)

One funny thing about my H105. I'll be out sailing it and from time to time someone will say - "gee that's a big board. What's the volume - 130 liters?" I heard that so much I started to wonder about it myself, and thought maybe I really had the H125. Then I saw on the padding 105. Later on the ISAF web page its listed as 102 liters. In the end, the Hypersonic was sort of an enigmatic board (probably like the Serenity, my other *board) loved by some, and not loved by others.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2007, 06:03 AM   #14
qldsalty

Default RE: Best board ever

I own a 111 which I mostly use with a 8.4 RS6 and 49 Select Viper fin. Steve the board still continues to amaze me. In the last fornight I raced in a solid 15-18ktn against a friend on a Isonic 133 and 9.2 RSS. He always beats me racing. That day after a season of tuning and doing heaps of kms on the Hyper I finally beat him in two of four races. I also tested a Isonic 122 and couldn't get it to go upwind like the hyper. You will find it does what it was advertised as doing. It is faster overall. A Isonic is slighlty quicker off the wind but slower up wind. Also the Hyper will continue to plan through a lull like no other board i've ever ridden. Yesterday we had very light wind and a sailor was out on a 10m rig and formula board. He could plan a bit earlier for sure but the second i got going I would start to catch him and over take dispite the big lead he had. It is because the hyper holds speed through the lulls. I could see the formula board slow down in the lull and I would hold quite a higher speed and gain ground. Stick with it and in time you will definately get the reward.
Also I've seen a few emails that suggest the hyper is not dead yet.
Old 4th April 2007, 05:18 AM   #15
SteveM

Thanks guys, here`s my initial take on the board after a 1 hour sail :
Conditions were 12-15knots max, with an outgoing tide running at 6knots at Capesport Centre, Langebaan Lagoon, for those who know the spot. Water was very flat with a little wind-driven chop. In spite of only having a 6.6sqm sail, I managed to get planing on the first run out, man it takes some commitment to find that rear footstrap.
With the six knot current it was difficult to maintain ground but the HS111 still managed to gain upwind ground in spite of this - impressive. I did find that the board was hesitant to start planing at times, after gybes, but then I was rigged small.
I went out for one last run as the sun was getting low, which was a mistake as the wind had dropped a bit, and on my run out I realised that I was not going to get planing easily - I got planing about halfway across the lagoon and headed upwind as high as possible to regain lost ground to the current. I then turned, came off the plane and never got planing again, had to schlog back, trying to go upwind with the current trying to push me out of the bay. The board impressed me, I made it back to my starting point even without planing, on route I sailed past a bouy and noticed the wave forming behind it, the current was running quite fast !
So all in all a good first date, although I know I need a bigger sail in those conditions.
On the "getting planing" issue - the board feels like it has a definite "hump" that it must overcome to start planing - I once turned it downwind over a small chop and it got up and went, once planing it feels like a very "low-drag" board.
Any recommendations on my next sail size up ? Must fit a 460 mast and 215 boom (max)
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2007, 09:23 AM   #16
Maximus

Hey

I have H111 and mainly use 8.4 / 6.7 / 5.8 (80kg). I would go as big as possible to fit into your boom/mast requirements, I would say at your weight 7.8 with 42/44cm would be ideal.Should have you nicely powered in 10/12 knots (tide dependant). Make sure the sail is a good race/free race model.

Long Live the Hyper:|
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2007, 08:52 PM   #17
John1

Hypersonic.
I have saided many boards and the hypersonic is rapid, but i feel it´s a very demanding board. During a weekend i can not sail all the day as I do with my Lorch Board with the same size. Do You have any exlpication for that problem? Do You suffer the same?
JJ
John1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2007, 05:38 AM   #18
Philip

Yes John1 my experience is the same. Definitely a high energy board ; even as the board becomes second nature, it keeps on asking for more. High levels of personal fitness really pay off. Why is this? My personal view is that the HS really only comes alive with a power-on style of sailing on the rails, sail decked, and upper body swung forward etc etc. By the way, agree with Maximus on sail sizing.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2007, 03:53 AM   #19
Jean-Marc
TEAM

John1,

If you find your HS a bit too much fitness/energy/skills demanding to ride with ease, I would strongly advise you to get a smaller fin to make it glide smoothly and keep it flat on water. Banking the hull on the leeward rail à la Formula is only helpful when pointing upwind underpowered with a big fin, otherwise, keep it flat on water. This is the board that requires probably the most of fine-tuning and tweaking with sail/fin/rider size for the right conditions (i.e., a lot of TOW experimenting as well), definitely nothing in common with a plug & play freeride à la Carve IMHO...Once properly dialed in, it flies effortless all day, however.

iSonic are definitely more plug & play user-friendly, no question.

Agree with Maximus as well on sail sizing (5.4, 6.6, 8.2 & 10.6 sail quiver with my HS105).

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2007, 06:07 AM   #20
Philip

Agree 100% with JM. With a 6.5m sail I use a 29cm fin. Should clarify: "on the rails" I meant feet on the rail, not railed up (poor use of English on my part). The point is that many I see on traditional slalom boards have footstraps well inboard and are sailing on the board rather than powering off the rails. Not to say they are not fast, but just different aims and attitudes.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote