Old 22nd April 2007, 04:07 AM   #1
windsurferdagg

Send a message via MSN to windsurferdagg
Default getting the boom tailpiece off

Do you have any tips for getting the tail piece off?

I have a chinook aluminum compitition boom and i can't get my new harness lines off...

Help me out? It seems that the tail piece just gets stuck right at the end... is there a trick?

Thanks, Thomas
windsurferdagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2007, 11:16 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: getting the boom tailpiece off

Hi Thomas,
Some tailpieces have small "shim collars" inside the locking devices that are a bit hard to get out, but I'll bet you have run into the "need to sping the boom" to keep the tailpiece tubes aligned with the boom arm tubes.
Try to spring the rear of the boom arms apart a little as the boom arms are normally the more difficult to spring open as the ends of the tailpiece tubes are a bit wider (when not inserted in the boom arms)
apart than the boom arms.
So, try spreading them out so that the tailpiece tubes can slide out through the lock mechanisms.
What model Chinook boom do you have?
Hope this helps,

Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2007, 08:45 PM   #3
windsurferdagg

Send a message via MSN to windsurferdagg

I have the chinook compitition aluminum boom. http://www.chinooksailing.com/web03/booms.html

il try that when i get home from a party... so all you have to do is kinda spread the boom grip apart more and the tail piece should just come out?

Thanks for the help,

Thomas
windsurferdagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2007, 12:26 AM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Thomas,
On some Chinook booms, you might need to open the lock collars and them "twist them off" the back of the Boom Arms.
They go right back on, and some of them (the big FE booms for sure),
and are easy to line back up with the holes.
Just open the locks with the back end still in the arms, then twist the locks a bit and pull them back onto the tailpiece tubes.
Switch your harness lines, then put the tailpiece tubes back into the arms and twist the lock back into place, lining them up so the lock pin goes through the hole in the boom arm and the hole in the tailpiece easily.
If there are bushing inside the locks, you need to line the slot in the bushings up as well.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote