Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 8th April 2007, 07:25 PM   #1
MA_Pete

Default FE160 versus F-Type 148 or 158 for recreational sailing?

Roger, and anyone else out there:

I had a 2005 F-Type 158, really liked it. Sold that and bought a 2006 F-Type 148, in hopes to be able to stay on it a bit longer as the wind picks up. As it turns out, it is really only good for me for flat water or moderate chop, once the winds get to 7.5 wind, the chop up here in the Narragansett Bay makes for a rough ride on the F-Type 148.

I am getting another light-wind Freeride Board, the one I am looking at is 76 cm wide, 142L (sorry Starboard, it is someone else's, I don't like the Carves, and the GO's are too detuned for me, tried the 139 last year), for use with 8.5/7.5, to be much more comfortable in the chop than the F-Type. So for my biggest Formula-Style board, I would only use with 9.5 (Retro), and maybe get a 10.5 or 11.0.

Would the FE160 be a good choice for a recreational board? Would it plane earlier than the F-Type 158? I would also consider the F161 or the Apollo, but they are so expensive, and I would worry about the durability. But the article in the May Windsurfing Mag does have me thinking about the Apollo... Any thoughts on planing threshold between the Apollo and the FE160?

I use the True Ames Shallow Water Weed 51 cm fin on the 148 (used it on the 158 as well), it is supposed to have about the same lift as a 70 cm formula fin. How do you think that fin would do on an FE160 or Apollo, relative to an F-Type 148 or 158?

Thanks!

-Pete
MA_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2007, 08:46 PM   #2
o2bnme

Send a message via AIM to o2bnme Send a message via Yahoo to o2bnme
Default RE: FE160 versus F-Type 148 or 158 for recreational sailing?

Hi Pete. I'm not able to speak to the main topic of your post, but for shallow water fins, I use weed fins with great success.

For me, at 65kg, I can get away with a 39cm Tangent Reaper Weed Fin when I use my 9.8 V8 on my F-Type 148. A heavier sailor would be on the next larger fin for this same sail and the 10.6 V8.

Compared to my Drake 70cm fin, I don't notice much loss in performance when I use this weed fin.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
o2bnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2007, 08:49 PM   #3
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Pete,
How much mast foot tuning did you do on the F-Type 148?
I found the FT-148 needs to be tuned to sail very free, if you want it to be easy over the chop.
But, it sounds like you've made up your mind so I guess the FT-148
is a lost cause.
I don't understand how you found the FT-158 more to your liking than the FT-148 (unless you are a pretty big guy).
As far as getting a Formula Experience board it will probably plane a little earlier than the FT-158 (maybe a knot at most) but I don't understand how getting another wider board is going to help with your "rough over the chop" issues, but I suppose that since the Formula boards NEED at least a 9.0 m2 you do not plan to sail the FE-160/F-161/F-158 in choppier waters, right?
If you want a really "lite wind" board, then the Apollo may be a better choice.
I'll be interested in seeing the article on the Apollo. I don't have the May editiion yet.
The Apollo will definitely plane earlier than the FE-160/F-160/158 and the F-161. Probably on the order of 2-3 knots (depends on your weight, sail size, and skills).
I didn't think much of the Apollo at first, but now that I have it figured out a little better, it's an amazing board.
Your TA SW 51 should work well on any of the boards you are looking at.
Hope this helps,

Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2007, 09:29 PM   #4
MA_Pete

Roger:

Happy Easter and thanks for the quick reply. I am only 155 pounds, so you would think the 148 would be better for me than the 158, but when I made the switch, I did notice a decrease in ability to plane in very marginal winds with my 9.5 Retro, more than I thought I would, and not too much gain on control in higher winds. Maybe it was also partially the difference between the 56 and 64 cm stock fins, I do not have a larger fin for the 148, other than the TA Shallow Water Weed Fins.

Per your posts over the last two years, I do keep the mast track back quite a bit, to fly it off the fin as much as possible. With 8.5 wind and chop it was fine, but with 7.5 winds and chop, I could not control it and would smack on the chop, making for a very rough ride. Maybe I just didn't have the technique down completely.

You are correct that I am looking to potentially just use the "big board" in the future on relatively flat water for 9.5 and up, in which case the main priority would be early planing to be as "Skunk-proof" as possible, and thus I would not be worried about control over chop as much. I would go to my 76 cm wide Freeride board at 8.5 and below conditions. I will think more about the Apollo and the FE160 some more in that context. (Man, that Apollo is expensive!)

Another alternative would be to go back to a 158, there are still many 06's out there in the shops, at discounted prices.

o2bnme - thanks for the reply on the fins. I use my 44 and 51 cm TA SWWs with 8.5 and 9.5 Retro's today and they work great for me.

Also, FYI, I have not received my print copy of Windusrfing Mag either, but I also get it electronically at zinio.com, just got it there yesterday. I also get Windsurf and Boards from the UK that way, pretty cool to just download to the laptop.

Thanks!

-Pete
MA_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote