Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 12th March 2012, 09:48 PM   #1
Phyxius

Question one leg longer than the other

im just wondering if im the only one with this problem but my port side stance seems to be way more comfortable and locked in than my starboard side stance.
After trying to figure it out for ages im wondering whether its because my right leg is slightly longer than my left.

on the port side my back foot (right foot) has good pressure on the fin and the front (left foot) is well seated in the straps and with slight upwards pull.
on the starboard side however my back foot (left foot) has too much pressure causing spin out some times and front foot (right foot) feels loose like it will easily pull out. I have tried tightening straps and this is not the issue btw. Also my harness lines on the starboard side feel more balanced when situated closer to the clew than on port side.

anyway just wondering if this is a common problem? or am i the only one
I will try shift starboard side front strap forward and rear strap back to open up the stance and see if that helps.

I have F160,iS101,s85 and find the same for all boards.

cheers
Phyxius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 05:01 PM   #2
Speedsurfingblog

The first thing you should try is to move the harnassline at starboard side a little bit to the back. It happens that the sail+mast combo has a slightly different pressure point on each side. iF you have to use a lot of backhand on the starboard side the harnassline position is probably the problem

Harnasslines and footstrap position are basically the only 2 things you can tune for each side separate.
Old 14th March 2012, 12:14 AM   #3
max12

Your joints stabiliser muscles developed to handle one stance more then the opposite one. Go to Physical Therapist he will do stance test and give you some exercises to correct this problem. Also practice more on weak side. If you are sure that your one leg is longer then the other then go to Chiropractor it happens only when your lower back needs adjustment but legs are actually of the same length.
max12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 01:04 AM   #4
mark h

[QUOTE
After trying to figure it out for ages im wondering whether its because my right leg is slightly longer than my left.[/QUOTE]

I feel for you buddy, I have a similar problem. My left testicle is bigger than my right one, and it really messes my stance up, its also difficult getting comfortable in my wetsuit)

Only kidding

I doubt if one leg is much longer than the other, you'd know for sure if it was as your pants would be very short on one side Next time you have long pants on, take a look and see if you can see one ankle! If you can only see one ankle, then yes you have odd legs

My niece is a sports physiotherapist, very handy for fixing my broken body. I always favoured starboard tack. I also run 15 miles each week for years and had big problems with my achilles tendons and calf muscles. My niece figured out its because one leg was stronger than the other, and years of bad form caused problems right through my body After ultrasound treatment and deep messages to sort things out, she made me incorporate a handfull of leg and calf exercises into my gym routine. Wow what a difference this has made to my portack sailing and running.

Im not saying you have the same problem I had, but it might point you in the right direction:0

The toys:
Speed W44 - Speed W49 - speed W53 - speed W58 - iS76 - iS107 - iS137 - F161.
North Warps: F2012 5.2m, 5.7m, 6.3m, 7m, 7.8m, 8.6m, 9.5m F2006 11m.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mark h; 14th March 2012 at 04:52 PM.
mark h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 01:14 AM   #5
Phyxius

haha mark h, actually now that u mention one testi does hang on average slightly lower ... no wonder iv been having issues with stance

thanks guys for your replies. As physios and chiros are fairly expensive around my neck of the woods i will try shifting foot straps and harness lines around first and see if this helps.
Im pretty sure something funky is goin on with leg/hip as my right shoe always ends up wearing out faster than my left (possibly testi related ).

At the moment its not such a bad problem tho i suspect it may come back to haunt me later on if i dont get it sorted now. I will seriously consider going to a physio or chiro to sort it out if it gets worse.
cheers
Phyxius is offline   Reply With Quote