Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 24th November 2015, 01:35 PM   #1
Default 2006 Wood Deck

Hi All,

Been away from the sport for 8 years after selling all my gear and now wanting to get back in and so need to go shopping. Seen a 2006 S-Type 115 for sale locally but concerned about the state of the wood deck.

Seller says it's cosmetic only, but what are people's thoughts/experiences with old wood decks?

Would this board be perfectly sailable, or should I stay away? If good enough to ride is there a preferred way to smarten this deck up?

Thanks in advance,

Seasider4374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2015, 02:24 PM   #2
Dream Team - School Guru

Yes, it's purely cosmetic.
It would be difficult to clean it up as you would most likely end up sanding all the
nonskid off the top of the board, then recoating the entire deck with penetrating
resin, and then reapplying the non-skid.
It can certainly be done, but whether or not the cost is prohibitive (will you attempt to
do it your self (DIY) or have it done professionally) is the real question.
Also, making it look good will increase it's value if you were to sell it, but won't make
it sail any better on the water.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2015, 02:25 PM   #3

A board so old with a wood deck is not good.
You have to make pressure on the deck to see if there is soft parts or cracks in the wood.
Usually a wood deck that goes out about 50 days a year we last around 4 to 5 years.....after that it is going to become soft and have cracks where water will go in
Im not talking for talking.....i have starboard boards since 2009 and some with wood deck.....so i have the experience!!

mario.milhazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2015, 06:33 PM   #4

Hi Seasider
I have an S type and think its great, nice and quick and responsive. ive had Starboard carves and futuras which i didnt like at all. Ive got the 127 because i lake sail and like to get back when the wind drops at the end of the day. I usually sail it with a 5.5 or a 7m which seems to be the biggest it takes. Depends what you want it for but as i said ive enjoyed mine since they came out.
Hope this helps. Eric
Ericred0 is offline   Reply With Quote