Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 3rd February 2015, 06:56 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default What's up with Maui Sails?

Entire team has left/been let go, Art Spunzar apparently looking for job. Barry has been out of there for a couple years, he's doing yacht sail repairs in Lahaina.

Anyone got the real story?
Old 5th February 2015, 03:59 AM   #2
Unregistered

sh*t, if they shut down, what happens to the warranty on the sails? and what do i do with the stiff top masts??
Old 5th February 2015, 04:05 AM   #3
Unregistered

This would be indeed sad news and hopefully not correct.
Did anybody hear if Micah is having new sails by now?

Besides, the Loft sails international team has been virtually been transferred to Gai Sails...
Old 5th February 2015, 08:44 AM   #4
geo

Maybe Micah will quit racing, which would be a pity.
Taty of course after getting into the top 10 in slalom racing was bought out by a rich brand. It's sad, there is not match between MauiSails products and their financial strength. Not nearly. Anyhow we will see, it happened something like that a few years ago with another brand and he went back after 1 season.
As for what to do with hard top masts, after the change for CC with '14 sails (TR-X) the "problem" was already there. Same as with any other sail loft, many changed ("refined") mast bend on a nearly yearly basis without even letting users know; so I think windurfers are somewhat accostumed to that.
In my view MauiSails can afford at least a couple years without even changing designs with no performances problem. The real "changes" in most of the competition in the past few years were all subtle moves towards what MauiSails is doing since ever: "soft" feeling rigs, even twist, deepest foil forward, 9 battens ... so no sail designer could even be a lesser problem for PMcG.
But most of all I believe that we will have to wait and see.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2015, 04:30 PM   #5
Unregistered

Default mauisails is in business

Maui sails has under gone some changes yes, but we are still in business, delivering sails, producing sails, booms and masts. It's business as usual. We are covering warranties, servicing our customers and here to answer questions about the products. We will continue to do development and deliver world class products. Sometimes in business you have to make changes. 35 years in the industry and I've seen all brands making big changes at times. There are things we need to improve on such on better on time delivery of products.

Thanks.

Phil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
Maybe Micah will quit racing, which would be a pity.
Taty of course after getting into the top 10 in slalom racing was bought out by a rich brand. It's sad, there is not match between MauiSails products and their financial strength. Not nearly. Anyhow we will see, it happened something like that a few years ago with another brand and he went back after 1 season.
As for what to do with hard top masts, after the change for CC with '14 sails (TR-X) the "problem" was already there. Same as with any other sail loft, many changed ("refined") mast bend on a nearly yearly basis without even letting users know; so I think windurfers are somewhat accostumed to that.
In my view MauiSails can afford at least a couple years without even changing designs with no performances problem. The real "changes" in most of the competition in the past few years were all subtle moves towards what MauiSails is doing since ever: "soft" feeling rigs, even twist, deepest foil forward, 9 battens ... so no sail designer could even be a lesser problem for PMcG.
But most of all I believe that we will have to wait and see.
Old 6th February 2015, 07:32 AM   #6
geo

I see now a pic of Micah Buzianis with a "different" sail and the USA-34 sail number on it, so it seems he will not quit racing. That's good news.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2015, 07:46 AM   #7
Unregistered

Smile

maui sails rumors have also reached Holland, the latest news basically is, to stay in business, they need to focus on coast, instead of reducing quality the reduced cost items (aka riders). will be in business . and bright side, test winner in German tests!. Go ahead, support local shop and buy some.Warranty... windsurfing is a costly sport, never filed any claims for being radical on the water.
If you drive a ferrari, you will not file a claim at pirelli due to tyre wear , correct???
Old 22nd February 2015, 01:41 PM   #8
Unregistered

Cant you people read ?
Phil already answered 3 threads lower down...
Good Luck to Phil and Maui Sails !