Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 18th July 2015, 02:13 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default Rio S

Anyone own the starboard Rio small?
How is it in really light winds (7-12 knot range) ?
Does it move at all, if so, how well and how fast?
Thanks
Old 18th July 2015, 05:09 PM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Unreg,
The Rio S works nicely for lighter sailors and small beginners.
It goes pretty well in the 7-12 knots range, but it does not have the "glide"
of a true longboard.
It does however work well as a transition board, doing reasonably well as a beginner long
board and also, with the center board retracted it works reasonably well as a large short board.
How fast it moves in 7-12 knots will depend on your skills, and how large a rig you are
willing to use.
As suggested.....best for light weight sailors.
Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2015, 06:54 PM   #3
Unregistered

Default Rio S

Thanks very much Roger.
Just to follow up, who do you consider lightweight for the Rio S?
I think I'm better off with the Rio Small vs the Medium at 145lbs weight.
What are your thoughts?
I've only had practice on a Kona one, but don't want to buy it because it's way to long for transport reasons. Do you know how the Rio compares to the kona one in light winds?

I've narrowed down my first board to Jp explorer 165L, RIO small or bic core 160L.
Hoping to be able to do small jumps one day, otherwise need a daggerboard, using mostly in 7-12 knots. Read a review that jumps on bic not recommended it might break, couldn't find any reviews on JP explorer. So I'm left with the Rio small preferably. Any final thoughts/recommendations Roger or any one else?
Old 19th July 2015, 12:28 PM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

At 145 lbs. you are kind of a "middle weight".
The Rio S will work for you but as suggested previously, it won't have the "glide" between
wind gusts that you may have experienced on the Kona One.
What size sails do you intend to use, and why the restriction to 7-12 knots of wind.
At your weight, you won't get planning in < 12 knots with a 7.5 m2 rig, so you will mostly
be just slogging around.
That may not be a whole lot of fun.
Why are you not liking the Rio M.... transportation issues....storage issues....too heavy...
what?
Why do you feel you need a dagger board/centerboard?
Do you sail in a place with a lot of currents, sail in a place with mostly offshore winds....
again what?
Staying dependent on a dagger/center board to get back to your launch site is not going
to advance your skills very quickly.
Short boards (without a center/dagger board) can be sailed upwind to get you back to your
point of origin, but not using the skills you are currently depending on.
I know, a lot of questions, but if you can answer them, perhaps we can get you on a board and rig that will help you to advance your skills more quickly and have you out on the water
planing around which I expect is your ultimate goal.
Can you travel to places with more wind easily?
Hope this helps,
Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2015, 09:34 PM   #5
Unregistered

Default Rio S

To answer your questions, 7-12 knots because That's what I seem to get 90% of the time anywhere within a couple hours drive from home. Sail size no larger than 7.5. Not liking Rio M for all the reasons you mentioned. Need daggerboard because was advised by my previous windsurf instructor to get it, because we get lighter winds mostly and will help me get around easier, I can always kick it up/in when I don't need it.
I cannot travel to places with more wind unless I leave the country.
My wife will also use the board, she's 120 lbs using 6.5 sail max. Sounds like it might be better suited to her weight. Limited in what I can buy from retailer here, but they carry the bic techno 160D, Starboard Rio and JP explorer-all seemingly good boards for lighter wind with daggerboard (I'm sure Kona one will do, but it's just too cumbersome to travel with). Both myself and wife would like to juts get out in lighter wind most days. instead of waiting for more wind.
I don't mind the Rio not having the glide of the Kona- as long as I'm not far behind the Kona on my Rio in 7-12 knots. The Rio S having more volume (180L) would also offer better performance in lighter wind compared to the other boards mentioned is my understanding. Thanks.