TEAM

Check this old video out to watch how to jibe the Serenity :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_NWaI-9u8M
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2014, 02:34 AM   #32
Alena

Hello
Thanks to both of you.
I took the Princess out with the smaller fin and the smaller sail (7.5) and was able to jibe it. However not very elegantly. Very slowly and unstable. Should one rail the edge all the way to the water?
The other issue is again the size of the fin and sail.
I know you Roger think there is no advantage to sailing with a 10 meter sail?
Also while the smaller fin is more smooth and serene it seems more fun with the 70 cm one, the board is more up and more sensitive it seems just more exciting.
What do you think Jean-Marc?
Thanks a lot
Alena
Alena is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2014, 06:32 PM   #33
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Alena,

As for jibing the Serenity, I don't bank the top of the rail all the way down to the water (slam jibe) because it does make the board very slow and very tippy. I prefer to bank the board slightly on her shoulder and make a nicely flowing large turn : speed is kept all the way to the new direction and she is not too tippy.

As for sail and fin size, I'm only using the stock 70 cm XXL Drake fin with a Reflex II 11.0 m2 sail. This is the combo which is getting the most fun and racing challenge for me. Yesterday, we had a very gusty and shifty wind on our lake : 1-10 knots offshore. I could have been with a Formula + 11.0 m2 sail (25% planing vs 75% schlogging time), Phantom 295 + 8.6 m2 or Serenity + 11 m2. Guess what ? The Serenity + 11 m2 combo was a killer to smoke everybody else out on the water, except a couple of class C cats and flying Moths. Huge fun for more than 4 hrs. Not the quickest in the strongest 10 knots gusts for sure while foiling da big Bertha, but still the fastest around on the average 5 knots of wind. I'm still in awe with her after all these years...! Best ultra-light wind board ever made, period.

Did I tried my Serenity with a Reflex III 8.6 m2 sail and a Deboichet R16SL 54 cm fin ? Yes.
Did I get fun ? Yes.
Did I get the most fun out of that combo ? No.
Do I want to repeat that ? No. Main reason because I did not get the high thrill and racing challenge as with the larger fin and sail combo.

However, this is not to say that you must have to use your 10 m2 sail to get the most fun with your Serenity. Bigger sails are heavy and a pain to uphaul, no question. I'm sure you do have fun with your 7.5 m2 sail and the shallow Drake 40 cm fin. I also have used this shallow fin a couple of time in the past but I much prefer the big hard 70 cm fin which is more direct under foot, more racing oriented, more biting upwind, more exciting to ride and to foil. I guess it all depends on which features and results you are ready to make a compromise and on which one you are not. This is why this board is still unique to fine tune, from a easy going plug & play serene glider up to a challenging racing beast.

Cheers !

JM
Old 2nd June 2014, 04:10 PM   #34
Alena

Hello again
Another lovely day on the Serenity. I do not run out of wind, just switch to the Serenity and keep going when others are waiting for the wind to come back.
So what is important in the jibe?
Does one have to do a flare jibe and tilt the sail way to the outside of the curve to force the thing to turn? Is there some trick to it?
Thanks
Alena
Old 2nd June 2014, 08:47 PM   #35
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Alena,

No tricks at all after almost 8 years of training and use. This is what I'm doing as described below :

If I tilt the sail too much on the outside to force the hull to turn, it's easy to loose my balance and make the board very tippy. It's ok to do it with a light 7.5 m2 sail as depicted on the video above, but with a heavy and big 10-11 m2 sail, I won't recommend to tilt the sail way outside because the weight of the sail will make me fall on the outside of the turn while passing the eye of the wind when dead downwind, i.e., when the board is at her tippiest point of course.

I rather keep my big and heavy 11 m2 sail fairly upright and nicely balanced with a very wide hand grip on the boom. I move my front foot back and next to my back foot, both behind the board's handle bar. The sail is then slightly sheeted out and I bank the hull on her windward shoulder to initiate the large radius turn. Standing on each side of the center line (the long black stripe of the large oval footpad), my windward leg is kept straight while I bent the knee of my leeward leg to bank the board. The board turns downwind while my upper body is always facing the upright sail.

Depending on the next course to come, I do one of the following :

1) if I want to continue dead downwind, I release the banking of the board by keeping both legs slightly bent and I flip the sail by holding firmly the mast straight upright with the front hand. It's very important to let go the boom's rear end describe a full half circle around the mast in order to keep my balance on the board. I grab the boom on the new tack and continue to sail downwind. The choppiest and the windiest it becomes, the tippiest the board and the more difficult it will be to keep my balance. Then I usually go very low with my center of gravity by bending my knees very much and tilting the mast on the back to speed up the rotation during the sail flip.

A very good exercise is to flip the sail alternatively on port tack and on starboard tack but try to keep the board course as straight and as dead downwind as possible. Deviation to the course is usually the end result of unbalance by the sail and your footwork that came from accidental banking of the hull to compensate the initial unbalance.

However, if I tilt the sail on the outside, it becomes very easy to make the board tippy and to inadvertantly change course while compensating with the pressure on the legs : usually the old front leg pushes down the windward rail, wich makes the board to go further on the turn, making the sail tilt more on the outside and finally loosing your balance. It just makes things worse with a heavy and big sail.

2) if I want to complete the jibe and to further turn the board to the new direction, I still continue to bank the hull with my feets but now, I twist my upper body to go clew first with the sail. I move the new windward leg to the front (front leg), release the back hand and let the sail flip. I continue the normal sailing on the new course. The goal here is to keep the speed of the board all the way during a nice flowing jibe in very light wind (2-7 knots). On a very deep reach (130-160), my speed is usually twice that of the wind, so it's better to exit the jibe sequence with as much gliding speed as possible until the sail will deliver again its forward power on the new course. The Serenity is such a gliding beauty, so try to keep her nicely flowing momentum during the entire jibe sequence.

The banking footwork is very important to achieve that goal, i.e., do anything to prevent the board to slow down too much. The S-curves (deep reach - dead downwind - deep reach - dead downwind - deep reach) without flipping the sail is a very good exercise to learn how to turn da big Bertha solely by banking the hull alternatively on her windward or leeward shoulders. Try it on a dead flat pond first (or at sea but without any swell/chop to unbalance you) with your 7.5 sail in say 3-5 knots wind or less. Try to make long radius turns only with your banking footwork. Once you've mastered that, repeat the S-curves, but flip the sail each time to complete a jibe sequence. Once done, repeat with your 10 m2 sail and I'm sure you will see how easy it is to unbalance yourself if you tilt your big and heavy sail too much on the outside of the turn.

Cheers !

JM

Last edited by Jean-Marc; 2nd June 2014 at 09:04 PM.
Old 26th June 2014, 08:14 PM   #36
Alena

Hello
Had more fun with the Princess and learnt to tack it nicely but even with the smaller sail and fin I can not make it jibe properly it will not cross the downwind line.
Will definitely refuse to cooperate.
I wish one of you was around here (Boston) and saw the problem.
Maybe I will do better in higher wind when one feels what is happening.
JUst pushing down on the windward rail does not make it cross the downwind line.
Thanks
Alena
Old 26th June 2014, 11:48 PM   #37
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Alena,
Have someone record a video of your jibing attempts, put it on the net somewhere, or email it to J-M and myself.
We could perhaps see what's in your jibe technique that's causeing you to "stick" near downwind that prevents you from completing your jibes on the Princess.
Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2014, 05:05 PM   #38
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Alena,
Roger is spot on : get somebody to shoot your jibing attemps and post your video somewhere. I'm going on holidays tomorrow, so I'll try to get somebody to video tape my jibing sequence on my Serenity. Stay tuned !

Cheers !

JM
Old 13th July 2014, 02:31 AM   #39
Alena

Hello
A friend just taped me on the Serenity, no jibing but you can see how fast it goes, and that was a 7.5 meter sail (the blue sail) and marginal winds, with the short boards shlogging at times and the Serenity faster than the kites.
I let him sail it which I rarely do and he was amazed.
If I just had one board I would want the Serenity Princess.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHmCg...ature=youtu.be

If you can tape the jibe it will help A LOT
Thanks
Alena
Old 13th July 2014, 10:23 PM   #40
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Dear Alena,

Just back from holidays, here is the video of how I jibe the Serenity : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBNtlo0zEEs

Cheers !

JM

Last edited by Jean-Marc; 13th July 2014 at 10:30 PM.