Old 11th May 2012, 02:07 PM   #1
Mansfield171

Default Big sail issue

Hi
I purchased a nice used 9.0 windwing for use with my carve 171. It is great I'm planing in 11-12 kts, weigh 200 lbs, but I am having a tough time bearing away from the wind after I uphaul or beachstart; it really wants to round up. Ideas?
Thanks
Mansfield171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012, 08:18 PM   #2
Ken

This is pretty normal for the bigger boards. Keep your weight (feet) further forward and lean the rig forward a little more when you want to turn the nose more downwind. When you tack, you have to lean the sail forward a bit and use one foot in front of the mast to push it around through the wind.

When you beach start, the first foot on the board must land on the center line of the board as far forward as possible (its a big step), and as soon as you get your second foot on the board, move both feet forward near the mast. The step up is tough because of the long fin and being in deeper water. Most people learning step too far back on the board and on the rail rather than the center line.

It doesn't take long to overcome this issue with some practice.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012, 08:33 PM   #3
Jille

Maybe you can try to put your mast foot a bit further to the front, 2" - 3" or so.

If your board sticks to much to the water at this position, you might consider to put your boom a bit higher, also 2" - 3".

It's a bit experimenting to find the new positions, but I had good results with it.
Jille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2012, 01:35 AM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Mansfield 171,
Sounds to me like you may need to pay a bit more attention to your "alignments" when uphauling
and beachstarting.
When uphauling, ensure that your board is completely "across the wind". We call this the neutral or "T" position. If you have the board completely perpendicular to the wind.
Pull your sail up until the foot is clear of the water.
Check the alignment of your board across the wind, and the alignment of the clew of your sail straight downwind and perpendicular to the centerline of your board.
Now step behind the mast with both feet!!!! This is very important, as you cannot start out directly on a beam reach unless you get the mast up to windward of the boards centerline.
Then pull your rig "across the board" so that the mast is now slightly upwind of your front shoulder.
Then sheet in by rotating your upper body from your hips about 5-10 deg.
Your board will sail away directly across the wind and you will not need to resort to things like radically tipping the rig forward or stepping way forward on the board.
It's all about the "alignments". If you pay attention to them, you will have far less issues getting underway on a beam reach.
If you do not get the rig up straight with the clew directly downwind, the board will do exactly what you are telling it..... it will turn upwind almost instantly.
When beach starting, Ken has given you some really good guidance, but I might add that you need to start with your board aligned quite a bit further downwind than you think becuase as you go up onto the board, the rig is going to turn the board upwind....so.... you need to compensate!
Roger
I
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2012, 02:45 PM   #5
Ken

mansfield171,

I think you may have all you need to correct your problems. However, I will add one thing to the beach start - make sure you have enough wind before stepping up. Sometimes you may have to wait a minute or two for a gust, otherwise because of the big step, you won't have enough power in your sail to pull you up far enough to get to the center line and you will fall back in. Even the "good guys" fall back from time to time when they are anxious to get going, but there isn't quite enough wind to step up.

If there is too much wind, getting up is easy, but you don't want to be pulled off the other side either. Using full power to get you up and then sheeting out at exactly the right moment will keep you on top. This technique is the same for learning water starts when in strong winds, so don't be afraid to practice beach starts when it is windy.

Be sure that you are in deep enough water, or your fin will pay the price. A new fin will be costly!
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 02:41 AM   #6
Mansfield171

Thanks everyone, I worked on the alignment Roger discussed, and moved the mast step forward a touch, things are much better now!
Mansfield171 is offline   Reply With Quote