Old 21st August 2012, 01:57 PM   #1
Pelegrin

Default Dangerous Drake footstrap?

I have an iSonic 127 Carbon with Drake footstraps and I hurt my foot in a gybe when not getting out of the Drake footstrap. This was a new and bad experience and I got pain three weeks later.

I bought new Dakine Core Contour and they works perfect, both in and out of straps!
Pelegrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 06:54 AM   #2
Krister

You always have to loosen you feet before the jibe, just look at any good rider. You'll appreciate the the Drake straps when going fast in choppy waters...
Krister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 10:59 AM   #3
Gyurmo
Dream Team Member

the biggest danger with the footstraps, if one of your foot come out without control and you twist your other knee. so the straps have to be tight - on a normal way.

do you use neo boots? in this case you have to use the screws of the straps in bigger distance from each other. in other case just like kristen said.

hope its help.

gyurmo
Gyurmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 01:11 PM   #4
Pelegrin

ThankYou for qutick answers!

Yes, I use boots all the year around. I have to were I windsurf. Good idéa loosen feet just before gybing. Probably I do so withouth thinking on it. I do not rememder exactly how this happend but I believe I was stucked in both straps and in late moment got one foot loose out of the strap.
Old 23rd August 2012, 01:57 PM   #5
troll

My last experience with Drake straps was a 2010 isonic. I wear booties and do usually widen straps by using wider set inserts. Nevertheless the drake straps gripped the booties too much and always had problems taking feet out for jibes.

Replaced the front straps with dakine slims and problem disappeared - until then, my jibes became ruined by fear that the front foot would be stuck at worst possible moment...

This didn't seem to be issue for friends with isonics who sailed barefoot.
troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 02:43 PM   #6
Gyurmo
Dream Team Member

hi pelegrin,

the boots is a different world to handle your board under your feet! because the material of the boots your feet stick much more into the straps than a same tight barefoot setting. so very carefull, maybe you will need not one but two screw holes bigger different for the safety fixing.

gyurmo
Gyurmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2012, 12:00 PM   #7
Pelegrin

Thank for the answers! I guees part of the problem is boots but some places in the world You can not sail without them. The problems with Drake could be that they would seam to be more narrow than other straps, but I not sure it is like that in generel, allthough it is a fact compared with my JP and Dakine straps.
Old 25th August 2012, 03:07 PM   #8
John1

Default footstraps.

As another member of another webside wrote; the shoes are also important.
I have used several different brands and for the moment I´m using the Atan shoes. I think they are more easy to get out of the straps (My straps are tights which is important). They come from the factory with a sort of talcum powder and must have some ligth treatment with sandpaper to the soul before use.
with regards,
JJ
John1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 01:36 PM   #9
Phill104

I've had my feet get stuck in the front strap with DK Contours, Drake and RRD Primos, it happens no matter what strap you use. I too wear Atans. I would not all the Drake straps dangerous.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote